cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

again a question about refunds.

I don't know what to do? As a buyer, I am regularly getting items that take a month for deliveries as the Post Office is really slow right now and I understand that.  As a seller, I am getting people wanting refunds after 2 weeks and Ebay is telling me I have to pay. I KNOW it can take well over 2 weeks sometimes so I am patient.   

Why isn't Ebay helping the seller and letting the buyers know that the mail is REALLY slow right now because of COVID? 

What am I supposed to do? I can't put tracking on something that would cost more to ship then it sold for. 

Aren't the seller protected too?  

A major part of Ebay income is from smaller items. Things are messed up right now, can't Ebay modify it's policies some to allow for extra time for deliveries?

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Re: again a question about refunds.

@udoittwo You are being more patient because you are also a seller so you understand all of the current issues with shipping. The majority of buyers are not sellers, therefore they aren't aware of any issues with packages being delayed. Your buyer may not be someone who purchases very often on this platform. 

Unfortunately there's not much more you can do. This platform needs buyers to survive so they cater to them. Selling online is always a risk, currently it's worse than ever. Only you can decide if you should take a break until things can settle down more. Those are individual decisions for one to make. Best of luck to you....

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Are you using tracked services? When you are hit with a Dispute are you giving the tracking number in the Dispute? If your customers are contacting you without a Dispute, are you telling them the tracking number , the estimated delivery date, and the last place it was recorded?

The Dispute customers are probably a little more sophisticated than the contactors (?) so the latter may need more stroking and information.

You could also change your shipping service to a slower one, but keep shipping by the faster one.  This may mean massaging your selling and shipping prices.

And finally, is this five out of ten sales? Or five out of 100? Or one out of 500?  We feel those Disputes like a slap in the face, but run the numbers to see what is really happening.

FWIW- I not only ship from Canada but rarely track (because international tracking is very expensive*) and in 2021, I have had one NAD (my error!) and one Not Received out of some 65 sales. I find that high but we'll see what it is at the end of March.

* The lowest price for a Tracked Packet USA is $13,38 which only covers up to 100grams in weight. I know that I will lose any Not Received dispute, but tracking would cost me more than the occasional refund does.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

I typically send the buyer a screenshot of the tracking history, a photo of their package, an apology, and a statement trying to persuade them wait an extra 7-10 days before requesting a refund.  Usually that buys USPS enough time for item to arrive at destination. Haven't had to refund a single slow delivery order during this SARS catastrophe.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

You could also change your shipping service to a slower one, but keep shipping by the faster one.  This may mean massaging your selling and shipping prices.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply