cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zero international sales since the eBay International Shipping (EIS) switch - Category not eligible

We've had zero international sales since opting in to to eBay International Shipping (EIS) from Global Shipping Program (GSP).

It looks like none of our items are eligible as international buyers see this message when trying to check out:

"Unfortunately, this seller won't send to your location. Please update your delivery address and try again."

image.png

Our excluded countries haven't changed. 

Customer support replied with:

"I can see the item category is not eligible for eBay International shipping programme. But you can ship the item outside the eBay International shipping programme. The buyer is getting an option for Request Total, kindly ask them to request total from their side. Then you can send them an updated invoice & the buyer can purchase the item."

Does anyone have a full list of excluded categories? We sell plastic scoops and dietary supplements, but these are not listed in the restricted categories of the EIS program page.

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Zero international sales since the eBay International Shipping (EIS) switch - Category not eligible

@beamzen wrote:

Does anyone have a full list of excluded categories? We sell plastic scoops and dietary supplements, but these are not listed in the restricted categories of the EIS program page.

There is no complete list due to how frequently import restrictions change and different countries' import rules. Though I do agree that eBay's provided list could/should be more comprehensive than currently available.

EIS does have more restrictions than GSP did and I'm not at all surprised that dietary supplements are not allowed.

If you want to ship internationally @beamzen, my advice is to do thorough research to see which countries allow import of those products (many will not) then offer direct shipping methods. If offering USPS, make sure the countries are on the edelcon list for First Class Package International and if not, work out a different tracked door-to-door service. Since import restrictions can change at any time, make sure you check restrictions to those countries on a regular basis (I'd probably do it quarterly).

View Best Answer in original post

Message 4 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

I'm never a fan of opting into programs that are newly introduced, especially in ebay given their track record.

I don't need to be a pioneer.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

I am having a similar issue as well. I used to sell a decent amount through EGS, but my numbers have dropped since the rollout of EIS. I did some digging and many of my items have been restricted from the program that were previously eligible through EGS. When customer service was asked, the first explanation was weight and size issues, however, that quickly changed after I pointed out similar listings with larger sizes and weights. I guess the next default answer is to say your items are prohibited and that was the answer i received. The prohibited items list provided on the EIS page, does not have any restrictions on the category of items that are being restricted. I am to the point where I want to start shipping INT direct with UPS, but do not fully understand how to calculate duties, fees and taxes and charge them to the customer through the Ebay sale. I am thinking it would have to be on a sale by sale basis, however the issue arises that a buyer would have to ask for INT because offering INT currently has no way of charging taxes and fees? Any thoughts?

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

@beamzen wrote:

There is no complete list due to how frequently import restrictions change and different countries' import rules. Though I do agree that eBay's provided list could/should be more comprehensive than currently available.

EIS does have more restrictions than GSP did and I'm not at all surprised that dietary supplements are not allowed.

If you want to ship internationally @beamzen, my advice is to do thorough research to see which countries allow import of those products (many will not) then offer direct shipping methods. If offering USPS, make sure the countries are on the edelcon list for First Class Package International and if not, work out a different tracked door-to-door service. Since import restrictions can change at any time, make sure you check restrictions to those countries on a regular basis (I'd probably do it quarterly).

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

@smallenginepartsdepot wrote:

I want to start shipping INT direct with UPS, but do not fully understand how to calculate duties, fees and taxes and charge them to the customer through the Ebay sale. I am thinking it would have to be on a sale by sale basis, however the issue arises that a buyer would have to ask for INT because offering INT currently has no way of charging taxes and fees? Any thoughts?

Be very careful about which UPS service you offer @smallenginepartsdepot as some services will result in packages arriving with hefty broker fees (separate from customs/import fees).

You're going to have a difficult time with motors parts in preowned condition. EIS restricts a lot of that stuff because of potential exposure to hazmat (think gasoline, brake fluid, etc) means it can't be shipped and imported internationally.

As for your question about fees: VAT/GST is charged to the buyer automatically. The buyer would be responsible for paying import fees to their local customs office. Import fees would not be charged in advance by eBay when you use a direct shipping method instead of EIS.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply