cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

You have got to be kidding me Mag Clippings

Literally if our inflation isn't bad enough (too much money going into the economy not enough going out) you have eBay sellers literally cutting out pages from any magazine they can find and selling them as some type of art collectable.. 27 thousand items sold with 40 thousand listings give me a break. How are you guys allowing such a lack of ethics to go on  when this is as bad as saying you can sell clumps of dirt from outside for some artistic purpose. 6.75 per page and 4.75 shipping for what and your telling me he has made 100k in profit?? For literal garbage. And I'm my view it takes advantage of people who have very very little wits about them to spend 10 dollars on something so useless. There has to be some regulated floor to which the item like I mentioned can't be literal dirt from outside and I'll tell you selling single pages out of magazines is literal dirt. 

Message 1 of 58
latest reply
57 REPLIES 57

Re: You have got to be kidding me Mag Clippings

Wouldn't 50 years make the antique pet rocks?

Just my Two Cents...
Thank you for being here!
Penny
Message 16 of 58
latest reply

"Literally if our inflation isn't bad enough (too much money going into the economy not enough going out) you have eBay sellers literally cutting out pages from any magazine they can find and selling them as some type of art collectable see "Relic Paper" seller and others. 27 thousand items sold with 40 thousand listings give me a break."

Wow, if this is all you have to worry and be upset about..a legitimate collectible..consider yourself lucky. We should all be so lucky.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 17 of 58
latest reply

"Relic Paper" seller and others. 27 thousand items sold with 40 thousand listings give me a break. How are you guys allowing such a lack of ethics to go on when this is as bad as saying you can sell clumps of dirt from outside for some artistic purpose

I have bought magazines clippings from these dealers and I am grateful.  Some of these clippings come from magazines that would cost me $40 or more to acquire if they were complete. 

I've sold some too, but mine sold for $15 not $7. 

Why is this unethical?

Message 18 of 58
latest reply

I agree with you.  I had a beautiful vintage Campbell's Soup advertisement framed and hanging in my kitchen.  It came from Life Magazine.  I am an antique dealer and people not only buy the old magazines, but they look for ads in them.  They will hang up old makeup ads in their bedroom, old kitchen ads, etc  It makes for beautiful decor.  The advertisements sell for more than the whole magazine does many times because people can't see what's in a magazine when it sells online.  Nor do they have the time or desire to look through magazines at estate sales and such.  Get a frame from the Dollar Tree, and you're good to go.  And yes, you are right.  Out of everything in the house, people always compliment on them the most!  

Message 19 of 58
latest reply

I definitely agree with you.  Gone are the days of milk glass and depression glass.  The younger crowd doesn't want it.  But they do love vintage advertising.  We as antique dealers have to be willing to change with the times and what people want.  I personally will take a vintage wall hanging over a new one any day.  You can't beat that charm, not to mention the beauty and history behind it.  My son the millennial swiped a vintage Marvel comics poster from me faster than you could say Superman.  As soon as he saw it, he said "Ohhhh it's mine!"  lol  

Message 20 of 58
latest reply

I received this very nice positive feedback below on a 1927 Willys Car Ad I sold a month ago.  To question what people collect and/or spend their money on is ridiculous if you are hiding behind a userID and not showing us what YOU sell.

With a lovely frame added, the print ad presented perfectly at an area fair this week, earning a much-deserved blue ribbon. Thank you for the lovely item, delivered promptly and packaged with great care.

I also received a message awhile back from a seller that his grandmother was the woman pictured in the make-up ad I had sold him from the 1940s and that he had been searching for that specific ad for years.  I was riding on cloud-nine for a week after that  message. I could have easily just threw that page away, not posted it, etc, but instead I fulfilled someone's search for that.

Message 21 of 58
latest reply

there is still time to delete this.

Message 22 of 58
latest reply

@slippinjimmy wrote:

Vintage clippings from magazines etc is a long standing collectible business that predates eBay by decades.

Oh, heck, yeah. One key point in their favor is that ads from glossy magazines such as Life or National Geographic were printed on high-quality paper with very stable inks, and their appearance is barely changed over decades. They can make great period-piece wall decorations. Better to be on display than closed up in a box in someone's basement.

Message 23 of 58
latest reply

People collect many things that are beyond my point of even beginning to care about.

To me, it is no lees odd for someone to want the page out of a magazine than it is to pay $$$ for a baseball card, or a "hot wheels" car. 

I don't understand why it is done, but I have no need to understand, nor is it my business what someone spends their money on, or what someone sells. 

Message 24 of 58
latest reply

One would need to be careful where the sand is sourced from.

Not sure if it can be sold on eBay (or anywhere else)

I did not dig in (pun intended) to read about the exceptions.

sand.jpg

Message 25 of 58
latest reply

A vintage ad for a car collector of the same model referenced in the ad is not "useless".

A vintage ad for something someone used to enjoy that is no longer available is not "useless". 

This classic Dodge advertisement could potentially cover these. 😁 Although these days it would probably be considered sexist. 

dbfolks166mt_0-1695137153241.png

Message 26 of 58
latest reply

@pinnacleshop5040   Awesome! Sign me up! I love artsy magazine pages! Here r 2 Juicy Couture vintage ads>

IMG_5100.jpg

IMG_5099.jpg

  

Message 27 of 58
latest reply

Even among ephemera sellers there is a difference of valuation about "magazine tear sheets".

Some of us will offer all sorts of advertising from travel brochures to car brochures to car manuals to premium inserts, to mail in premiums to train tickets and time tables to Playbills and broadsides but are too snotty to offer tear sheets.

For the most price they are affordable and quite reasonable, which is why many of us don't offer them. They fill a need for a lot of buyers and some will spend far more on framing them to meet their decor than the ad costs.

Message 28 of 58
latest reply

You sound just like my mother used to.  "Why did you buy that?  No one wants it."  Next day, I sell it for $60 profit  lol  5 days later, I get the same comment & get another quick profit.  Some people never learn.  I got dirt once......for free!   😛  Are you new to this world?  I've seen art that looks like a 3-year old painted it & the artist gets several hundred $ for it.  There are buyers for everything.  Good on any seller that finds a market & does well in it.

Message 29 of 58
latest reply

The 1 thing that bothers me is I have several 1960s celebrity magazines where the person kept the magazines but removed the covers.  So now I have them - mags & covers.  If you plan on keeping both, why not leave them in 1 piece?????    lol

Message 30 of 58
latest reply