cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would you like to add a protection plan?

I guarantee you they are costing us sales with that stupid pop-up.

Why, because it forces a buyer to jump over one more hurdle before they can check out.

Even if they purchase the money goes to ebay, some might think I'm being selfish but if we don't make the sale there's no sale for ebay and I can also guarantee most buyers never purchase this.

Like the old "do you want french fries with that?"

How many customers have they lost vs. the few that actually spent the extra?

I guess there's no fixing corporate stupidity.

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

If buyers don't want it they will simply click no. It has nothing to do with losing sales.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Oh,  my.

Virtually every online retailer has messages or pop-ups or side ads or discussion boxes or sign-up boxes or whatever. I don't think many buyers are choosing not to buy on eBay because of that pop-up. 

I don't think your "guarantee" would stand up to any scrutiny.

P.S. I've never seen the pop-up you're referring to.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

@pburn wrote:

Oh,  my.

Virtually every online retailer has messages or pop-ups or side ads or discussion boxes or sign-up boxes or whatever. I don't think many buyers are choosing not to buy on eBay because of that pop-up. 

P.S. I've never seen the pop-up you're referring to.

I'm sorry, it's a "borderless interstitial"

Just in my days we called it a pop-up, back then it was a whole new window, often smaller than full screen and with borders but many functions hacked out.  But whether one or 100, a pop-up is a pop-up, the older ones were done with javascript, today's are done through mostly CSS (Cascading Style Sheets).

Apparently they don't know what an interstitial is anymore either, so the lingo of the day is "borderless popup" 

This thing:

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

If they didn't make money on the ad, neither ebay nor the advertiser would keep running it. 

As pb says, almost everything I buy can have an add on.....so doubt too many buyers are refusing to buy something because of the popup........which I just experienced and click off in about a second........

Some buyers actually do/will feel safer buying whatever the "insurance"/extra warranty is.  A couple of friends feel that way and I no longer try to discourage them.......as one said........peace of mind is worth a few bucks. 

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

@pokal53 wrote:

I'm sorry, it's a "borderless interstitial"

No need to apologize, because I frankly don't  care what it's called. 

And I'm not willing to open your attachment. Is that what they're still called? Attachments? Post it as a jpeg or png instead. Are they still called jpegs/pngs?

I stand by my previous comment that buyers are not put off in the least by whatever it is you're posting about.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply