cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would it be very difficult to pay $1600 a month rent relying on only the the Goodwill bins?

Message 1 of 58
latest reply
57 REPLIES 57

Re: Would it be very difficult to pay $1600 a month rent relying on only the the Goodwill bins?

Any thrifter/reseller worth their salt will not be paying rent but building equity with a mortgage.

Message 16 of 58
latest reply

Re: Would it be very difficult to pay $1600 a month rent relying on only the the Goodwill bins?

Tagging on:      Only the OP really has any idea whether 

he can make a profit and a living (2 different things)  as a goodwill picker.  

Only he knows if he has the smarts,  the stamina,  the connections.

Only he knows if he has the bank account to support himself during the lean months.

Only he knows how big a dent $1600.00 a month off the top would be to his bottom line.

I know a 32 year old friend of my son that makes a pretty good living buying and

selling Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh cards.

We're all different.     No 2 are alike.   

Message 17 of 58
latest reply

@dirk12955 wrote:

Only the OP really has any idea whether he can make a profit and a living (2 different things)  as a goodwill picker...  We're all different.     No 2 are alike.   

True, ultimately.  But OP asked.  So it's either ignore the OP on the basis that no one can answer the question except the OP, or offer opinions to OP because they were solicited.

-

Message 18 of 58
latest reply

It's a pretty vague question. If OP was looking for more than some general comments that may or may not apply, they'd need to ask specific questions (e.g., help creating a spreadsheet so they can figure out how much they need to sell to cover expenses plus the $1600 rent).

So the opinion that only the OP knows for sure is (in my opinion) just as good of a reply as others that are saying yeah you can do it or no you can't.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 19 of 58
latest reply

It was not so long ago that the OP was homeless.  Now is contemplating $1600 a month.

If he is doing that well in this short length of time, can't believe he needs advice from us.  

Message 20 of 58
latest reply

@wastingtime101 wrote:

...  So the opinion that only the OP knows for sure is (in my opinion) just as good of a reply as others that are saying yeah you can do it or no you can't.

Sure it is.  I agree.  It's as good as any other answer anyone may care to give. 

But as I said to someone else making the same point, the OP asked for opinions about the feasibility of netting $1600 a month selling nothing but finds in Goodwill bins, so there's also nothing wrong with offering an opinion on that. 

-

Message 21 of 58
latest reply

Obviously I agree with the latter part of your statement since I gave some opinions to the OP upthread. 😁

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 22 of 58
latest reply

@pigeonpicker wrote:

@dirk12955 wrote:

It would be difficult to pay $1600.00 per month rent depending on anything.    

$1600.00 per month for what?

Store front?    Antique mall booth?    Trade show?   ebay?

Just housing and a $300 a month huge 10x30 storage unit. To sell tons of cheap yet easy to find items. And will get lucky with some $100 finds at the bins also. 

Keep in mind that the $300/month introductory stg unit price, will increase in 6 months maximum & every few months thereafter.  My last increase on my large storage unit, which I only got 6 mos ago was around 35%!  It was over $100/month.  So, unless your stg unit is from a private party, where you can get some sort of lease, constant increases are a part of the deal. 

This one goes to Eleven - Nigel Tufnel

Simply-the-best-for-you Volunteer Community Mentor
eBay Seller since 1996

Message 23 of 58
latest reply

Based on the daily posts to this forum about how bad sales are/how sales are way down/worst sales ever etc.--I would say no to living off Goodwill.

Message 24 of 58
latest reply

I stopped going to our GW bins when it became the same dealers there day after day ALL day. They're rude, pushy and take all the carts and stack them in the corner as they fill them.

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 25 of 58
latest reply

Anythings possible if you have all the right 'ducks' in a row. 

take all expenses in the mix as many have already pointed out in prior posts,

I hope your ready for a lot of work  picking listing shipping etc

Good luck to you

Message 26 of 58
latest reply

The number one problem with thrift-store flipping is that it's prepicked before it even goes out, probably twice (because a lot of their stuff comes from yard sale leftover donations).  Two and a half times maybe.  First the stuff that gets sold early at the yard sales, then the stuff that Goodwill picks out and sends to their own worst-ever-online-platform, then the stuff that goes out the back door.  The inside transactions being the 'half'...

And the bins is prepicked probably three times.  At the level of business you desire, I think you have to find some way to go directly to the donors of said merchandise.  

Message 27 of 58
latest reply

@blurryrobot wrote:

The number one problem with thrift-store flipping is that it's prepicked before it even goes out, probably twice (because a lot of their stuff comes from yard sale leftover donations).  Two and a half times maybe.  First the stuff that gets sold early at the yard sales, then the stuff that Goodwill picks out and sends to their own worst-ever-online-platform, then the stuff that goes out the back door.  The inside transactions being the 'half'...

And the bins is prepicked probably three times.  At the level of business you desire, I think you have to find some way to go directly to the donors of said merchandise.  

...or perhaps try to get yourself a job at Goodwill. (Yes, really...) Sounds like the informal employee "benefits" would be a good fit with selling on eBay.

Message 28 of 58
latest reply

Haha!  I am trying to work within some minimal confines of ethics here. It certainly shouldn't happen, but it certainly does. 

But, the plain truth is, if you find a way to go directly to Goodwill's 'suppliers' then you are even preempting the lightfingered employees. 

Message 29 of 58
latest reply

Hmm I am sure they be folks in the goodwill hierarchy that do make that much. So to the question asked in the title. Depends on  your position it seems.

Oh you mean buying and reselling from goodwill to make said amount..... Again this would depend on where you are and such....

I would not bet on such in most areas.

Message 30 of 58
latest reply