cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is it that..........

just when I decide to "mothball" my seasonal stuff until the season, sure enough something seasonal sells, and I'm left rethinking the idea yet again.

Crusader Cat is watching

Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself. - L Tolstoy

"You are entitled to your own opinion, you are not however, entitled to your own facts."

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Re: Why is it that..........

I leave a little seasonal stuff up all year long.

If it is winter stuff, there is overpowering airconditioning at work and theaters so sweaters still sell in the summer.  People go on cruises in the winter so summer stuff can sell then.

Some people collect seasonal stuff all year long - and for me, some of the best deals on cool items come after the season is over and people get rid of them because they can't use them while they are cleaning out clutter.

My shrubbery is filled with strings of the coolest Halloween blinking eyeball lights that I got at a springtime garage sale for a buck.  I pick up some of the priciest handknit and cashmere sweaters on the hottest days of the year for 50 cents.

I don't let the purchase of one seasonal item override the experence of years watching the majority of them sit unsold off season.

(*Bleep*)
Message 2 of 9
latest reply

I don't sell clothing, but I usually let the seasonal stuff ride until I need to free up some slots for new stuff, figuring if I'm paying for the listings I may as well use them.

Crusader Cat is watching

Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself. - L Tolstoy

"You are entitled to your own opinion, you are not however, entitled to your own facts."

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

I have found that with millions of people buying on the internet, I cant accurately predict when seasonal items will sell.

I leave Christmas items up year round because people will buy it year round. The incremental sales are worth it for me.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

I think this is part of the charm of Ebay~you are not bound to the calendar as you would be in B & M stores.  You can get whatever you want, whenever you want it.

Some collect holiday items all year.  

Want Halloween, Easter or Christmas items in the summer?  Go for it!

If you need anything out of its' season, for whatever reason, you can probably find it here.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Sometimes it's hard to see the "Big Picture" when trying to anticipate our buyers.

Stamp collecting is a cold weather hobby. My sales in the USA and Canada slow down in June when the temps outside are climbing.

But, My sales to Australia & New Zealand, And South America increase as it's Fall and getting cooler there.
Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Those of us who sell internationally, have no seasonal lapses.

Actually, not entirely true, my philatelic sales drop way off just before Christmas, when collectors are spending their 'allowances' on gifts for others, but they are very strong January through May. (This was also true in our B&M shop.)

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

some find it hard to understand that people have a budget.

There's only so much to spend on any given day, Often during the holidays there is money that needs to be spent on gifts and food. That can leave the money for decor short. 

Buying in the off season can allow someone to collect for the holiday that will come.

During the summer my electric bill is $150 to $200 less than in the winter..... I have my garden giving me produce that I have to buy in the winter.....

"Believe in something, even if it means sacrificing everything" Colin Kaepernick the new face of NIKE
Message 8 of 9
latest reply

You will go insane trying to figure out buyer's minds. Threads on this board prove it 🙂

Message 9 of 9
latest reply