cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is it impossible to leave neutral or negative feedback for buyers?

Hi, Can anyone give me the reason for why Ebay makes it impossible to leave a neutral or negative feedback for buyers? In my case a buyer did not pay for nearly 6 weeks, despite several emails and an opened case.

I´d like to display this info for other sellers, but there is no way.

So a feedback score for buyers doesn´t make any sense at all. You could think "oh great, 100% positive feedback score!" ....and in the end it´s someone who permanently causes trouble.

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Because Ebay decided a buyer can only get positive feedback.

Yes, a buyers feedback is pretty much worthless.

Have a great day
Message 2 of 21
latest reply

@nulli100 

In most cases, sellers do not have a chance to review buyer feedback before buyers actually bid or buy.

Rather than worrying about feedback, when a buyer fails to pay you, you should pursue an Unpaid Item Dispute to get your fees refunded. And make sure your buyer preferences are set to block bidders who have received two unpaid item strikes in the last twelve months.

https://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?BuyerBlockPreferences

According to eBay here https://pages.ebay.com/services/forum/changes.html :

• Why are sellers allowed to leave only positive Feedback for buyers?
    Sellers used to be able to leave negative Feedback for buyers. Unfortunately, we found that when buyers had bad experiences with sellers, they were often reluctant to leave neutral or negative Feedback out of fear that the seller would retaliate by leaving negative Feedback for them. And when buyers did receive unfair negative Feedback, they usually decreased their shopping on eBay. Overall, it became clear that the fear of retaliatory negative Feedback made it more difficult for good sellers to distinguish themselves from not-so-good sellers, and made the Feedback system as a whole less reliable.

Message 3 of 21
latest reply

These are the US boards. Do you sell on US eBay?

Message 4 of 21
latest reply

If sellers file and close the UID, the automatic bidder block works so much better.

Bad sellers used to leave nasty feedback for good buyers. ebay needs to keep all the good buyers they can 

Message 5 of 21
latest reply

Same reason there is not a big poster of your face on the storefront door of the local grocery store stating 'terrible customer- he over squeezes the melons and makes them unsellable, costing us money having to throw them away' 

Message 6 of 21
latest reply

Especially not when that buyer didn’t actually squeeze any melons but DID complain to management when you sold them spoiled food.

Message 7 of 21
latest reply

@the*dog*ate*my*tablecloth wrote:

Bad sellers used to leave nasty feedback for good buyers. ebay needs to keep all the good buyers they can 

Bad buyers STILL leave nasty feedback for good sellers.

Junk buyers get a much longer leash at seller's expense.

Message 8 of 21
latest reply

Does Walmart or even your local mom &pop story get to rant and publicly shame buyers? No. And with good reason, it would make them look unprofessional and tacky.
Message 9 of 21
latest reply

Hi, Can anyone give me the reason for why Ebay makes it impossible to leave a neutral or negative feedback for buyers?

There are several reasons. One is that eBay values buyers, and does not want to drive them away.Another is that since eBay does not establish the identity of buyers, they would simply create a new account and wipe the slate clean. Lastly, buyers do not even need an account to purchase here, so the threat of negative feedback would simply cause those buyers to purchase without signing in.

I´d like to display this info for other sellers, but there is no way.

The way to signal that a buyer is a non-payer is to file an Unpaid Item Dspute and give them a non-payment strike. While other sellers cannot see these strikes, they can block buyers who have accumulated enough of them. It's not an effective system, but it is all that eBay provides.

You could think "oh great, 100% positive feedback score!" ....and in the end it´s someone who permanently causes trouble.

Correct. But because eBay values buyers more than sellers, they do not want you to be able to see a buyer;s history and cancel a sale. That would just discourage buyers further. 

Message 10 of 21
latest reply

@luckythewinner wrote:

That would just discourage buyers further. 

Good. I don't want or need all of them. The problem ones can go away.

Message 11 of 21
latest reply

because it's far more important for ebay(new management) to keep a spending customer happy than to do any justice to seller.

Yes, we experience exactly that as well. I miss the old eBay where policy and feedback system were more or less fair.

Message 12 of 21
latest reply

Bad buyers don’t care about their reputations and they know how easy it is to get a new ID or use guest checkout.

Good buyers on the other hand were angered and offended when they got undeserved bad feedback. They took their money and walked. We saw a LOT of them every day posting on the boards.

Bad feedback for sellers and buyers have NOTHING to do with each other. The problems come from a power imbalance. Two good partners are awesome. Two bad partners stalemate and really who cares? Bad buyer good seller the seller loses. Bad seller good buyer the buyer loses.  One bad seller can drive off a LOT of good buyers. Maybe some of yours.

Leaving negs for bad buyers would do nothing to prevent them from leaving negs for good sellers.

Do you really think that the trade off is worth it? The loss of good buyers to allow sellers to leave bad feedback that is virtually useless for anything? 

OK then. I suspect many other sellers would prefer to keep the good buyers.

Message 13 of 21
latest reply

Negs for buyers only gets rid of the good ones.

Message 14 of 21
latest reply

@monster-deals wrote:
Good. I don't want or need all of them. The problem ones can go away.

Unfortunately, eBay doesn't make decisions based on what you want or need. They serve their own interests, not yours.

Until or unless eBay determines that it needs sellers more than buyers, they will continue to cater to buyers.

Message 15 of 21
latest reply