cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is eBay saying I need to purchase and send someone a return label when they already sent one?

I have it set up so return labels are automatically issued. I have free returns. Somebody told me a skincare device they bought from me was not working. I've sold over 20 of these without complaints and it's over $50 so I asked her if she would file a return so I could inspect what was wrong with it. She opened a return and a label was automatically issued to her. A week later she escalated the case (before shipping it) and eBay said for me not to worry about it they were going to make her ship it back before I refund.

Now I just get the following email telling me that there's a problem with the label and that I need to send another label. I don't remember ever reading anything like this on these forums and I'm pretty confused as to why this has happened. Will I be charged for the first label they issued if she attempted to use it and then also have to pay for a second label?

Screenshot_20240420_172125_Gmail.jpg

Message 1 of 46
latest reply
45 REPLIES 45

Re: Why is eBay saying I need to purchase and send someone a return label when they already sent one

I reached out to the buyer  explaining the situation and asking if they had a label and it is crickets from them. The eBay representative that answered my email told me to send a label. I don't even know where to put the label there doesn't seem to be any place maybe because it's a open case and not an open return. I answered the email back and asked for more clarification regarding what the two phone reps told me and I got another response that really was very canned telling me to send the label and Report them. I will call today to talk to somebody else about all of this.

Message 16 of 46
latest reply

Re: Why is eBay saying I need to purchase and send someone a return label when they already sent one

Buy a label from pirateship @sapphire_studio and send it through eBay messages. Then reply to the email from CS and send them a copy of the label, send them a screenshot of the eBay message where you send the label to the buyer, and ask them to add the tracking number to the return.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 17 of 46
latest reply

@wastingtime101 

So I was able to buy the label off pirate ship and send it to her through a message and contact customer service so they uploaded the tracking to the case. I sent her the label today because it was at the end of the 5-day hold period and I was told by a representative to wait until today in case she used the first label eBay sent her or she contacted me back (which she never did after serveral messages).

To my shock about 20 minutes ago I got a message that the case was closed in her favor because it had been successfully returned 🤯

Luckily the ebay Agent I just spoke to was very helpful and said that the rep that closed it in her favor was completely in the wrong and they will be coached. She reversed the case decision and she said they were going to ban the buyer. I mentioned that it was a brand new account and she said they would be able to ban her IP address. Who knows if that's true but I've never had a rep tell me they were going to do that to a buyer before.

I definitely was dealing with a scammer and I'm glad it all went okay. Hopefully she can't reverse it again.

Message 18 of 46
latest reply

@sapphire_studio wrote:

I sent her the label today because it was at the end of the 5-day hold period 

To my shock about 20 minutes ago I got a message that the case was closed in her favor because it had been successfully returned 🤯

Luckily the ebay Agent I just spoke to was very helpful and

reversed the case decision and she said they were going to ban the buyer.

Who knows if that's true 

So @sapphire_studio the eBay bot has already automatically (it wasn't a rep) forced a full refund to your buyer/scammer -- after the case had been on hold for exactly 5 days, at the same hour and minute the return request was escalated?

Message 19 of 46
latest reply

I got the email from Ebay that I need to send the buyer another return label at 5:04 pm and I got the message today (5 days later) at 5:28 pm. This morning they updated the case to include the new tracking number. I think she had to put in a phone call today and claim to someone she returned it. I don't know why a bot would automatically mark it as being delivered. 

It's been 2 hours since I got off the phone with eBay and they reversed the decision. But I still don't see any evidence of that. I'm wondering when I'm supposed to get a message that says the case has been reversed.

Message 20 of 46
latest reply

I’ve had this happen to me about 3-4 times. I can recall two of the times, the buyer was in Guam and I realized that eBay wasn’t able to issue a return label from Guam for some reason. The other incidents, I was never able to figure out why eBay was forcing me to manually send the buyer a label. Either eBay or the buyer effed up those times and they were forcing me to bail them out.

Ebay should have a record and can tell you if and when a label was issued, if and when the buyer clicked to download the label.

Message 21 of 46
latest reply

@sapphire_studio wrote:

He wrote everything in the notes that he told me and he said if I wanted I could call back in 4 days if she hadn't mailed it back yet.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Ah, the old “I wrote all these notes into this call so anyone who talks to you about this can read them” line huh. I get skeptical with that, but what can you do when eBay has all the power here?

Many times I call back and ask about the issue even by giving them the SR call number for the agent to look up so I don’t have to repeat myself to bring that agent up to speed, and they end up responding “I don’t see any notes attached to this issue. So how can I help, explain everything to me.” or “All I see is a note written here that says ‘seller has a return postage issue’ and nothing more.”

That makes me wonder what actually happened? Did my initial CS rep lie to me about writing detailed notes, or did this latter rep lie to me about actually looking up the SR call number to read the notes?

Message 22 of 46
latest reply

@12345jamesstamps wrote:

"She was an American"...who lives where....

I usually ask on the phone how's the weather there?

Good luck and let us know what happens.

What if they answer, “Good.”

Your move 🙂

I’d probably ask what’s the Mega Ball lottery jackpot at? And if they say they don’t know or a random number I’d call them a LIAR!! There’s no such thing as Mega Ball in the US you American poser. You’ve been bamboozled.

Message 23 of 46
latest reply

It doesn’t sound like they reversed it per se. But rather the buyer kept the money and the item and you were awarded an appeal where eBay just paid you out of their own pocket. The buyer didn’t lose anything so rest assured that your appeals decision is final.

Message 24 of 46
latest reply

Yeah apparently she just appealed it for me and then I got a email this morning that denied my appeal because I didn't give them the documentation they requested. I responded to the email that I did send the label to the eBay messages like I was instructed to.

Message 25 of 46
latest reply

@sapphire_studio wrote:

I got the email from Ebay that I need to send the buyer another return label at 5:04 pm and I got the message today (5 days later) at 5:28 pm. This morning they updated the case to include the new tracking number. I think she had to put in a phone call today and claim to someone she returned it. I don't know why a bot would automatically mark it as being delivered. 

It's been 2 hours since I got off the phone with eBay and they reversed the decision. But I still don't see any evidence of that. I'm wondering when I'm supposed to get a message that says the case has been reversed. 

Do you know then, if the buyer was fully refunded at 5:28 pm.

And that refund (including your final value fees and the sales tax the buyer had paid) was deducted from you?

Now your appeal was denied, so you're out both your item and the refund to the buyer, @sapphire_studio and do you also have a defect for case closed without seller resolution -- plus you need to cancel the return label.

Message 26 of 46
latest reply

Not only did I respond to that email and tell them that I had sent a label yesterday morning before the case closed, I also called eBay back and a rep opened up another appeal for me making it very clear that I had sent the label. I'm still hopeful that this will all get figured out. I have never contacted eBay on Facebook before but I will do that if this appeal doesn't work.

Message 27 of 46
latest reply

What kind of insane nonsensical email is this?

Screenshot_20240427_171717_Gmail.jpg

Screenshot_20240427_171726_Gmail.jpg

Screenshot_20240427_171736_Gmail.jpg

Screenshot_20240427_171747_Gmail.jpg

Screenshot_20240427_171757_Gmail.jpg

Screenshot_20240427_171800_Gmail.jpg

Message 28 of 46
latest reply

All right I just got this email:

Screenshot_20240427_175719_Gmail.jpg

 I really hope it's over now. I have no idea what that email I got earlier tonight was all about I really could make no sense of it. I reached out to eBay's Facebook after that but I really don't think they've read it yet and this appeal decision just came from someone else. Very confusing but obviously I'm happy with the outcome finally.

Message 29 of 46
latest reply

That CS message from "Chris" is so bad @sapphire_studio .

Don't forget to void the label on pirateship.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 30 of 46
latest reply