cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is eBay getting rid of antique categories? Are they trying to lose money?

eBay must not realize how antique collecting works. They have gotten rid of almost every category that helps antique buyers find items. It's impossible to find anything.

Example, today I woke up and couldn't search "Clothes" in Vintage Barbie category, because it doesn't exist. Everything, every single doll, is now under Dolls & Bears. So you have to go through hundreds of thousands of listings.

Example, I also search for specific words under Antique Jewelry. Gone. So now I scroll through hundreds of things that aren't even antique jewelry. 

This is exhausting. Just become Amazon then if you want to squeeze the Antique Junkers out.

Message 1 of 40
latest reply
39 REPLIES 39

They have gutted a lot of category structure today.  I've seen eBay do some stupid things in the 23+ years that I've been here, but this on takes the cake.  FB groups are fuming and I suspect a lot of eBay's business will move to other sites.

Message 2 of 40
latest reply

Are you allowed to recommend other sites? I feel like the antique community is getting pushed out. 

Message 3 of 40
latest reply

other sites are not allowed to be said or promoted on the boards..

Message 4 of 40
latest reply

@andnowitsmine wrote:

eBay must not realize how antique collecting works. They have gotten rid of almost every category that helps antique buyers find items. It's impossible to find anything.

Example, today I woke up and couldn't search "Clothes" in Vintage Barbie category, because it doesn't exist. Everything, every single doll, is now under Dolls & Bears. So you have to go through hundreds of thousands of listings.

Example, I also search for specific words under Antique Jewelry. Gone. So now I scroll through hundreds of things that aren't even antique jewelry. 

This is exhausting. Just become Amazon then if you want to squeeze the Antique Junkers out.

Hi! We're in the process of adjusting that category from concept-based categories to more dynamic product-based categories (we announced this last month here if you'd like to read more about it). The end-goal is actually less disruptions like this, and as we shift towards utilizing Item Specifics more and unique subcategories less, we're confident in that outcome. 

Things may look a little off while the move is in process, but rest assured, we expect everything to be back to running as you'd expect within a few days. Thanks for your patience @andnowitsmine!

Velvet,
eBay
Message 5 of 40
latest reply

Will I be able to search under specifically Antique Jewelry when you fix this? Like "Ruby", instead of having 5 trillion modern ruby rings come up?

Will I be able to search other Antique and Vintage items the same way in a few days?

Just like what happened to the comic collectors, who cannot search under specific age ranges now, this structure only works for modern items. 😕

Message 6 of 40
latest reply

You (ebay) deleted my item specifics on most of my jewelry categories and I can't move jewelry back to the right category (see bracelets in necklaces) without my old item specifics removing themselves. Do you have any timeline when this is going to be fixed? 

Message 7 of 40
latest reply

@andnowitsmine wrote:

Will I be able to search under specifically Antique Jewelry when you fix this? Like "Ruby", instead of having 5 trillion modern ruby rings come up?

Will I be able to search other Antique and Vintage items the same way in a few days?

Have you read any of the announcements concerning this change over?

Like the changes announced in the 2021 Fall Seller Update, or the Category Changes with a linked document previewing the changes?

Or the thread pinned at the top of this board? 

Updates are happening to some item specifics and category structures 

Message 8 of 40
latest reply

Yep. Still doesn't answer any of my questions regarding antiques.

Message 9 of 40
latest reply

you can have all them announcements and messages you want.

It will not change the out come of the cruising category buyer: they are going to be upset.

Upset buyers will look were they can find items. A new learning curve this time of year is going to lose buyers.

But such is eBay...time will tell.

Message 10 of 40
latest reply

@andnowitsmine wrote:

Good post, appears to be their plan doesn't it.

Message 11 of 40
latest reply

@andnowitsmine wrote:

Are you allowed to recommend other sites? I feel like the antique community is getting pushed out. 

I know shows are on fire. Use eBay the best you can. I have not listed for 11 months and doing fine. Honestly, would love to get back to selling here but it appears they have no interest in what I have to offer....

Message 12 of 40
latest reply

velvet@ebay wrote:

@andnowitsmine wrote:

Hi! We're in the process of adjusting that category from concept-based categories to more dynamic product-based categories (we announced this last month here if you'd like to read more about it). The end-goal is actually less disruptions like this, and as we shift towards utilizing Item Specifics more and unique subcategories less, we're confident in that outcome. 

Things may look a little off while the move is in process, but rest assured, we expect everything to be back to running as you'd expect within a few days. Thanks for your patience @andnowitsmine!

cut and paste same answer. We are not machines.

Message 13 of 40
latest reply

It is happening in eBay Motors too! I did go look at the update, no help there for the changes on eBay Motors, not that I could see anyway.

Message 14 of 40
latest reply

@eleanor*rigby wrote:

@andnowitsmine wrote:

Have you read any of the announcements concerning this change over?

Like the changes announced in the 2021 Fall Seller Update, or the Category Changes with a linked document previewing the changes?

Or the thread pinned at the top of this board? 

Updates are happening to some item specifics and category structures 

Yes I have. The changes are being challenged as evidence by the feedback given by a multitude of wonderful sellers that pay to use eBay. They have and will express themselves. I read them and know the outcomes they suggest have not come to fruition for me. Apparently not for others also as the evidence shows in the multiple post today.

Message 15 of 40
latest reply