cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is eBay getting rid of antique categories? Are they trying to lose money?

eBay must not realize how antique collecting works. They have gotten rid of almost every category that helps antique buyers find items. It's impossible to find anything.

Example, today I woke up and couldn't search "Clothes" in Vintage Barbie category, because it doesn't exist. Everything, every single doll, is now under Dolls & Bears. So you have to go through hundreds of thousands of listings.

Example, I also search for specific words under Antique Jewelry. Gone. So now I scroll through hundreds of things that aren't even antique jewelry. 

This is exhausting. Just become Amazon then if you want to squeeze the Antique Junkers out.

Message 1 of 40
latest reply
39 REPLIES 39

Re: Why is eBay getting rid of antique categories? Are they trying to lose money?

Have you heard of... if it ain't broke don't fix it?  I buy based on what is newly listed, nearest first, ending soonest but I can no longer use these general search preferences because I want to see ALL VINTAGE BARBIE STUFF... not just specifics.  I have thousands of dollars worth of Vintage Barbie items but I know, based on my personal buying experience here, that my items will not be viewed by as many people now.  This is ridiculous!  Been here 21 years...**bleep**???

Message 31 of 40
latest reply

Re: Why is eBay getting rid of antique categories? Are they trying to lose money?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I hear what you're saying.  I sell a lot of Barbie paper dolls, plus many other antique and vintage paper dolls.  I have done well and had been looking forward to a great holiday sales season this year.  ALL sales have come to a screeching halt as of 3 days ago and my traffic is WAY down too.  My fear is that buyers are going to get frustrated because it takes a while to figure out the "new" search and just leave eBay all together.  I've ridden out the past "fixes" and updates but this one is different and it just might be the one that completely crushes me financially.

Message 32 of 40
latest reply

I agree. I'm completely crushed. I haven't complained about any of the updates, but removing antique categories.... that's my livelihood. My antique groups can't search things and I can't search things. I've nearly given up. Right before the holidays too... I might need to get another job. They've just crushed us Antique Dealers. 

Message 33 of 40
latest reply

They would like to change their model to a website with no soul selling items with no soul.  Just consumerist crap.  That is how the antiques collecting community sees this change.

Message 34 of 40
latest reply

Sales decreased over 50% since this juvenile change to categories. Buyers can no longer find items. We will be forced out of business due to this category change. 16 years as full time sellers. TRS+ Power Seller. 5500+ successful transactions. Current sales levels do not justify a store subscription. We will be forced to end store subscriptions. Thousands of buyers have stated this category change will cause them to move to other sites, as they cannot find items now. Buyers state they cannot sort through 1000's of listings to find the quality items. Search results very poor, eBay now shows unrelated items. Thousands of sellers are affected by this change. Sub-standard sellers can now purchase best placement. The result is eBay search now showing item unrelated to search words/keywords.

Message 35 of 40
latest reply

velvet@ebay wrote:

@andnowitsmine wrote:

eBay must not realize how antique collecting works. They have gotten rid of almost every category that helps antique buyers find items. It's impossible to find anything.

Example, today I woke up and couldn't search "Clothes" in Vintage Barbie category, because it doesn't exist. Everything, every single doll, is now under Dolls & Bears. So you have to go through hundreds of thousands of listings.

Example, I also search for specific words under Antique Jewelry. Gone. So now I scroll through hundreds of things that aren't even antique jewelry. 

This is exhausting. Just become Amazon then if you want to squeeze the Antique Junkers out.

Hi! We're in the process of adjusting that category from concept-based categories to more dynamic product-based categories (we announced this last month here if you'd like to read more about it). The end-goal is actually less disruptions like this, and as we shift towards utilizing Item Specifics more and unique subcategories less, we're confident in that outcome. 

Things may look a little off while the move is in process, but rest assured, we expect everything to be back to running as you'd expect within a few days. Thanks for your patience @andnowitsmine!

velvet@ebay 

Do you have a time line on when "within a few days" will arrive. So far, because of how eBay search now works, unable to locate it.

-Lotz

Message 36 of 40
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

velvet@ebay wrote:

@andnowitsmine wrote:

Hi! We're in the process of adjusting that category from concept-based categories to more dynamic product-based categories (we announced this last month here if you'd like to read more about it). The end-goal is actually less disruptions like this, and as we shift towards utilizing Item Specifics more and unique subcategories less, we're confident in that outcome. 

Things may look a little off while the move is in process, but rest assured, we expect everything to be back to running as you'd expect within a few days. Thanks for your patience @andnowitsmine!

velvet@ebay 

Do you have a time line on when "within a few days" will arrive. So far, because of how eBay search now works, unable to locate it.

-Lotz

But it is just the time were it takes user to learn the new (dynamic) system: Ahh it will improve just wait and see:

At least that is what they want you, and of course management to believe....

Message 37 of 40
latest reply

@donsdetour wrote:

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

velvet@ebay wrote:

@andnowitsmine wrote:

velvet@ebay 

-Lotz

But it is just the time were it takes user to learn the new (dynamic) system: Ahh it will improve just wait and see:

At least that is what they want you, and of course management to believe....

Or the time it takes for a buyer to go elsewhere. By dynamic do you mean work in progress?  😉

-Lotz

Message 38 of 40
latest reply

Well, it still feels like forever, and it's just as bad if not worse. Of course, if you saved things on your watch list, or search only newly listed BIN only and ending soonest Auction only, there are many deals to grab - especially on the underpriced BIN's.

What's worse is that the 'all filters' popup doesn't format itself to the page format, so most times you need to shrink your page down just to hit 'apply'(should you waste your time on those). 

I've pretty much given up here, looking only every few days instead of every day. Of course, I see the same old 'antique' repop toys show up every time.

Just when you think it can't get more pathetic ...........

" in the process of adjusting that category from concept-based categories to more dynamic product-based categories"

??????????????

Shareholders will win over antique enthusiasts every time.

Message 40 of 40
latest reply