cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does eBay allow customers to open a request when tracking shows delivered?

Why does eBay allow customers to open a request when tracking shows delivered? All it does is start a confrontation with customer. This needs to be fixed. Just deny request if tracking shows delivered. 

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Re: Why does eBay allow customers to open a request when tracking shows delivered?

If a buyer opens an item not received case, even if the item has been delivered, it's good practice to respond to that case by entering the tracking number. 

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

Re: Why does eBay allow customers to open a request when tracking shows delivered?

I get your concern, but I disagree that they should take away the ability for a buyer to open a request for Item Not Received.

Think of how you'd feel as a buyer if there was ZERO options for you to say 'hey, my package says Delivered but it's not here!'

What if the seller didn't send it to the right address?  Things like that.

If you handle things correctly, and according to policy, this does not start confrontation with the customer.  Call it an exercise for your Customer Service skills.

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

1. eBay does not know there's a problem unless a case is opened.  And tracking showing delivered is sometimes showing delivery to the wrong place as you will see if you read these Boards often.

2. If tracking shows delivered, but buyer does not have it, he needs to have it explained to him what to do next.  

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

Can't do that anymore.  I agree that was the policy, but it doesn't let you change it if it shows delivered now.

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

What should happen, but never will, is that once an item shows delivered to the address the buyer provided, the seller is out of it.  I'll believe it when I see it. 

She who dies with the most toys still dies; when's the estate sale?
Message 6 of 14
latest reply

Just because tracking shows it was delivered, doesn't mean it was.

What about all the fake tracking scams?

When those buyers get scammed, shouldn't they be able to open an INR, or just let the thieves win?

Have a great day
Message 7 of 14
latest reply

"Why does eBay allow customers to open a request when tracking shows delivered?"

It may have been delivered to the wrong address according to GPS.

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

They allow them so you can Help out your customer; 

1st- check the tracking vs the zip code

2nd- at least send a message to buyer that tracking showed delivered, explain 'seller protection' and tell them to check with carrier immediately, check with neighbors, others in the household etc. Ask them 'where are packages typically left at your house? 

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

Why does eBay allow customers to open a request when tracking shows delivered?

Because eBay knows that tracking is evidence of delivery and not proof. Some sellers actually try to provide customer service and help buyers track down lost packages. And sometimes eBay chooses to refund the buyer out of eBay's pocket, even if it shows delivered.

I once had an item scan as delivered, and the buyer opened a non-receipt claim. I won the claim, but chose to refund the buyer afterward anyway. A month later, the item was returned to me as "address unknown" even though it had scanned as "delivered".

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

There  are a number of reasons some of which have already been mentioned. In addition eBay does not want to expend the resources to automate their system to pull the delivery information from the carriers tracking system. 

If there was something beyond just the delivery as others have mentioned the buyer can/could contact the seller directly. 

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

I understand all the responses. Thank you. But the seller always wins the request. 

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

Not all the time.

If the buyer can prove the package was not delivered to their address, by getting a letter from the carrier stating the package was not addressed to the buyer, they could get a refund.

Have a great day
Message 13 of 14
latest reply

Most of the fake tracking scams I see and hear about are done from buyers sending bogus returns, one way or another.  And sellers like this dont last because the build up feedback of people saying thats what they are doing.  Sellers cannot warn people in buyer feedback the buyer sends back a rock or garbage in a return package, or puts in a tracking number with the sellers zip code but it goes to a different locstion and they get their money back.

Message 14 of 14
latest reply