cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does eBay allow auctions where you're not allowed to bid??

There is at least one seller who lists a valuable item in auction format with bidding starting at $1.00. But among the photos is one that says bidding is not allowed and all bids will be removed. The item is said to be available only at the Buy It Now price, except Buy It Now is not an option! Instead, the price is in the description and you're told to get in touch with the seller. How is this either sensible or allowable?

Message 1 of 20
latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

Re: Why does eBay allow auctions where you're not allowed to bid??

I've done so, but apparently it does little good.

Message 16 of 20
latest reply

I've done so, but apparently it does little good.

Reporting does do lots of good, but it won't cause an instantaneous removal of a listing.

Message 17 of 20
latest reply

The bike I found using the search suggested and used as a sample for reporting, is no longer showing in my recently viewed items. So, the parameters I suggested must have done something. Hope the actual sellers account survives, they sell coin and such. 

To add; I did say that the information directing you to a different site to pay was in a photo not the actual body of the listing. 

There are some types of reports that only the bots seem to see, others that I am pretty sure actual human eyes look at. Think this was one of those category's that actual eyes looked at it. Maybe?

Message 18 of 20
latest reply

How is this either sensible or allowable?

It is a policy violation. It happens because eBay has 1.5 billion listings and policy enforcement is not perfect. It is hard to block something like this with a bot.

Message 19 of 20
latest reply

@redmodelt wrote:

The bike I found using the search suggested and used as a sample for reporting, is no longer showing in my recently viewed items. So, the parameters I suggested must have done something.

Right, that particular set of scam listings seem to have been nuked now. They'll reappear as soon as another seller account gets hacked by the same scammers, since the same list of thousands of copied listings gets uploaded each time. Every now and then, just for yucks, I'll do a search in the Complete Bicycles category for "Schwinn Krate" and see them back again, like cockroaches.

In my previous post in this thread here about how to find the off-eBay scammers with the payment link in a listing image, I had not actually gone looking for the "Schwinn Krate" scam listings for a while, but I figured I would be able to find a fresh set to use as an example here, so I did my usual search, and sure enough, there they were yet again. 🙄

Message 20 of 20
latest reply