cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does e-bay do nothing when you report a seller for listing fake items

Reporting sellers for fake listings and e-bay does nothing about it!

Message 1 of 44
latest reply
43 REPLIES 43

Re: Why does e-bay do nothing when you report a seller for listing fake items

@lucask7 wrote:

I am a victim of a fake item, and I will never buy anything on here again, so you must think its ok to sell fake items?

Did you file a Not as Described claim to get your money back?

Did you leave feedback for the seller?

If not, why not?

penguins_dont_fly is a Volunteer Community Mentor
Buying and Selling since 2013

Message 16 of 44
latest reply

yes I am talking about authenticators certification numbers, just recently a fake Babe Ruth signed photo, #351748181630 sold on here that had two certification numbers, the number on the COA did not match the hologram sticker number and when typed into the authenticators database it came up as a totally different item then in the listing, its sold as a best offer of 4995.00 but i dont know what the best offer was, I feel sad for the buyer when all it took was a simole number check, it was reported but nothing done!!! I think e-bay services can do better than that!!!

Message 17 of 44
latest reply

@amazingarts wrote:

I have reported a seller (american seller) for months over blatant duplicate listings.   HUNDREDS and hundreds of  BIN duplicates.

Nothing ever done.

Hopefully someone might make an intellecutal leap here, but social media is not governed by Amazon, Esty, Sears, Target, eBay, Wal Mart, etc.  but I am sure it is viewed by employees of those organizations who are designated to track down and report on topics on those venues.  And of course since social media is open to all, there is nothing preventing anyone from voicing a concern there. 

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 18 of 44
latest reply

@mr_lincoln wrote:

@amazingarts wrote:

I have reported a seller (american seller) for months over blatant duplicate listings.   HUNDREDS and hundreds of  BIN duplicates.

Nothing ever done.

Hopefully someone might make an intellecutal leap here, but social media is not governed by Amazon, Esty, Sears, Target, eBay, Wal Mart, etc.  but I am sure it is viewed by employees of those organizations who are designated to track down and report on topics on those venues.  And of course since social media is open to all, there is nothing preventing anyone from voicing a concern there. 

Possibly....  but with social media, annonimity would be out the window.  

One  part of the purported ebay "report" system is to ensure privacy of the reporter, while tipping off ebay to system abuses.

Message 19 of 44
latest reply

@lucask7 wrote:

yes I am talking about authenticators certification numbers, just recently a fake Babe Ruth signed photo, #351748181630 sold on here that had two certification numbers, the number on the COA did not match the hologram sticker number and when typed into the authenticators database it came up as a totally different item then in the listing, its sold as a best offer of 4995.00 but i dont know what the best offer was, I feel sad for the buyer when all it took was a simole number check, it was reported but nothing done!!! I think e-bay services can do better than that!!!

OP,

So after 18 messages, we have discovered that your question is not really this ...

"Why does e-bay do nothing when you report a seller for listing fake items"

but rather, it is this ...

"Why does eBay not check certification databases to determine whether a sports memorabilia with a certification number matches the description entered in the certification database"

Others have already answered your first very general question - because eBay is not an expert on everything and cannot possibly be.

As for the second mor especific question, I have no idea. Perhaps eBay assume the buyer will do the same check you are asking eBay to do. Perhaps eBay doesn't want to commit the manpower, and they know their are probably shielded by the DMCA anyway. Or maybe they know that checking a certification database only indicates the number is attached to the correct item, not whether that item is authentic.

As for feeling sorry for people who get duped - I'm a lot less concerned than most people. To me the only "real" autograph is one that someone signed in front of you, and even then it is only real to you.

Unlucky

Message 20 of 44
latest reply

@amazingarts Possibly....  but with social media, annonimity would be out the window.  

One  part of the purported ebay "report" system is to ensure privacy of the reporter, while tipping off ebay to system abuses.

The operative word being "purported" but referring to action (either taken or not) after the "reporting" ...

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 21 of 44
latest reply

Then they shouldnt have the Report this seller button, what is it for? maybe just a pacifier, its now getting to the point where anything goes on e-bay and this is the worst I have even seen it

Message 22 of 44
latest reply

@unluckytheloser wrote:

@lucask7 wrote:

OP,

So after 18 messages, we have discovered that your question is not really this ...

"Why does e-bay do nothing when you report a seller for listing fake items"

but rather, it is this ...

"Why does eBay not check certification databases to determine whether a sports memorabilia with a certification number matches the description entered in the certification database"

Others have already answered your first very general question - because eBay is not an expert on everything and cannot possibly be.

As for the second mor especific question, I have no idea. Perhaps eBay assume the buyer will do the same check you are asking eBay to do. Perhaps eBay doesn't want to commit the manpower, and they know their are probably shielded by the DMCA anyway. Or maybe they know that checking a certification database only indicates the number is attached to the correct item, not whether that item is authentic.

As for feeling sorry for people who get duped - I'm a lot less concerned than most people. To me the only "real" autograph is one that someone signed in front of you, and even then it is only real to you.

Unlucky

So true.

BUT, if ebay had a COA # item specific, and the major authenticators(the ones ebay recognizes) had an API, it could be checked automatically similar to how they do the VIN #'s on cars in EB motors. That could eliminate a lot of problems and wouldn't take much programming time(for me in my world, anyway, it would probably take less than a day to integrate).

Because those that sell fakes are Ebay's favorite pets.

Message 24 of 44
latest reply

@penguins_dont_fly wrote:

@lucask7 wrote:

I am a victim of a fake item, and I will never buy anything on here again, so you must think its ok to sell fake items?

Did you file a Not as Described claim to get your money back?

Did you leave feedback for the seller?

If not, why not?

sure did

Message 25 of 44
latest reply

Why report items a buyer can check before buying?

eBay ain't going to reward you for reporting , nor as seen does it make eBay safer.

More than likely for every bad item reported 5 good items are reported.

Best to go by " buyer beware" and as a buyer be aware
age is a measure of time , wisdom is the measure of how we used that time
Message 26 of 44
latest reply

Then they shouldnt have the Report this seller button, what is it for? maybe just a pacifier, its now getting to the point where anything goes on e-bay and this is the worst I have even seen it

I actually asked Griff this question when he has his wekly chats why ebay is doing nothing to enforce their May1st changes in the jewelry categories.

As some here who saw it will confirm, he pretty much side stepped the question with "there are too many reports for the CS to handle."

Message 27 of 44
latest reply

he pretty much side stepped the question with "there are too many reports for the CS to handle."

lol, to me that sounds like the truth......

Message 28 of 44
latest reply

Redbud Farm   huh, sounds like you been smoking too many of them buds! lol

@redbud_farm wrote:

eBay ain't going to reward you for reporting , nor as seen does it make eBay safer.

@redbud_farm wrote:

Message 29 of 44
latest reply

@lucask7 wrote:

Redbud Farm   huh, sounds like you been smoking too many of them buds! lol

@redbud_farm wrote:

@redbud_farm wrote:

Apparently you are as well? You're seeing double friendSmiley Wink

Message 30 of 44
latest reply