cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why am I doing this again???

I sold 5 items last week for 92.23... eBay fees plus taxes collected were 59.17 which left me with a net of 33.06... I charged 4.90 for shipping for each item: 4.90 x 5 = 24.50.

With postage backed out (33.06 - 24.50) that left me with a total of 8.56. COGS was 5.00.

Pretend profit: 3.56 --- doesn't include gasoline used to find items, nor the time value.

Yeah, I don't think this is gonna be working for me... lol

Message 1 of 24
latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

Re: Why am I doing this again???

Also.................  if you are not buying shipping online............  that is also costing you $$ off your bottom line.

Message 16 of 24
latest reply

@ci1000 wrote:

I just clicked on a similar report in my seller hub, located under "payments/reports"  My report shows the same insane figures you are seeing in your report because my store fee of $59.95 is include in the summary along with all of the standard fees.  This will definitely skew your percentage.

Same for me, since I was billed for my store on the 1st. Once I took that out, the numbers looked totally normal and accurate.

Message 17 of 24
latest reply

@greatmidwestcoin wrote:

Sell coins. Lower eBay fee, smaller shipping packages, less shipping costs, consistent size inventory. Real simple. I've been doing it for over 23 years. Over $2 mil in sales and $150k in eBay fees. And yes, I started out with nothing. This is not my main selling ID.

I second this for all the reasons above.

Low Ebay Fee (7.35% on Bullion and 9% on all other coins).

My average Item sold price is over $50.

Very cheap shipping (99% of pkgs under $5).

Inventory is extremely consistently sized and easily manageable in a home office.

I can carry 24 packages (typical Monday) to the post office in my backpack on my bike.

I have been selling coins for 18 months. I started out with literally nothing. I've re-invested everything into the business to grow it quickly, but organically. I've done over $125k in lifetime sales (last 18 months). My current sales rate is $15,000+ per month (currently growing month over month at a rate of $1,000+). My average profit margin is 27-28%.... Although I re-invest everything, this is a really decent full time income if I decided to stop re-investing it all and syphen it off.

Want to know something funny? I started selling grandma's stuff on EBay to help her out. Doing this, I decided I needed a home office. I decided to buy some stuff to resell to save up for a home office. 18 months later, now I'm buying to resell to save up for a home.

Done right, EBay can support you full time. Done right, EBay can help you save $50k or more for a down payment on a home. No one said it's easy, just that it's possible. Time + grit + hustle + luck = Possibilities.

Edited to add: Up until last month, every single item I bought to resell was purchased right here on EBay. I made $70k in purchases on EBay for resale. I never left my house to conduct business other than going to and from the post office. I bought on EBay and resold on EBay from the comfort of my home. No travelling to garage sales, estate sales, thrift shops. No wasted gas or endless miles driving around. (I seldomly use/need a car to get to the post office. I walk and/or bike.) I only recently developed a relationship with an estate seller from across the country. He sells to me direct now, so I have greatly increased my supply, greatly decreased my efforts, and even increased my margins.

Message 18 of 24
latest reply

IMG_0904.JPGIMG_0905.JPG

@bottlerocketrecordsbooks 

According to the itemized selling costs in the 2nd picture, your selling costs for the 5 items is $16.22. Your total selling cost in pic 1 is $53.22. That's a difference of $37.10

That is not a store fee cost. Store costs like 28/mo or 75/mo (22 & 56 if annual?)

I just looked at  one of your listings... @bottlerocketrecordsbooks DO YOU NOT HAVE A STORE SUBSCRIPTION???

You have 971 listings. Unless I'm missing something, it appears to me you have no store subscription, which means you get only 250 free listings and pay 30 cents per listing insertion after that. That's 721 paid listing insertions, or $216.30/month. You can get a store subscription for $28/month that gives you 1000 free listings (you can save nearly $200/month).

Am I completely amiss? Do you have a store? Do you have more free listing insertions? I'm just guessing those extra selling costs are listing insertions because it makes sense and nothing in your profile or listing tells me you have a store subscription because it usually says "Visit Seller's Store" and yours says "See Seller's Other Items".

Message 19 of 24
latest reply

If a seller does not know exactly what the fees are and what expenses are and how much profit they will make BEFORE they list and sell something, they are doing something wrong.

I don't undestand sellers who list and sell something, then are surprised at how much the fees are or how little profit they made. 

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 20 of 24
latest reply

It must be you have a high amount on your promoted listings.  If you are doing 15 or more then that's it.

Message 21 of 24
latest reply

Something seems a bit amiss with those seller fees.

6 sales for me totaling ~ $325 (sale price +buyer paid shipping + sales tax) 

Shows net ~ $242 ..................$10 needs to be subtracted for two labels to be printed tomorrow making it $232.

of that ~$64 shown .................... the eBay fees on my sales are  ~$45

That's  ~  $45 on ~ $325 is vastly different than the fees and %age that you are displaying.

Seriously flawed if you did not purchase labels on eBay.

dbfolks166mt_0-1696506686286.jpeg

The seller fees for the 5 items you display do not add up anywhere close to what is shown.

Totally agree but OP has not returned with any more information but I get the feeling they may be using PL. 

Message 22 of 24
latest reply

Did you ship anything that morning? if so then your selling cost will also count the labels from the prior days sales.

You're fee's are not over 50% and you math isn't correct.

Either you have a very bad business model or you're not charging correctly or both.show us the entire page including the bottom portion of it that break everything down.

Message 23 of 24
latest reply

ebay fee's, promo, store, insertion etc... click that little arrow button for us do see the entire break down of those fee's.

Message 24 of 24
latest reply