cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why I'm Leaving eBay as a Shopper

eBay has become a circus of unsolicited offers from sellers who capture your casual visits.

After 22 years as an active buyer, I am now forced to leave eBay by this practice.

Unsolicited offers from casually viewed items are worse than a clerk following you around the department store.

It's a Turkish Bazaar climate that is extremely annoying.

I must now shop somewhere else.

Simply put, this marketplace has lowered its standards by offering stalking shoppers as a sales tool.

--Gary Gladstone

Message 1 of 33
latest reply
32 REPLIES 32

I believe you can opt out of these offers by changing your preference settings.

Message 2 of 33
latest reply

The only thing that a buyer can opt out of if they don't want to receive those annoying offers is the extra e-Mail eBay sends out with the offer.

The offer itself still %100 goes through to the buyer who doesn't want it.

Message 3 of 33
latest reply

It's possible just to ignore the offers.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 4 of 33
latest reply

Yes you are correct you can ignore them.

Message 5 of 33
latest reply

@eunster1313 wrote:

The only thing that a buyer can opt out of if they don't want to receive those annoying offers is the extra e-Mail eBay sends out with the offer.

The offer itself still %100 goes through to the buyer who doesn't want it.

eBay will probably attempt to monetize a NO AD/NO OFFER feature for buyers in the near future. Pay us $XX.XX per month and those annoying offers from sellers will go away. Just like my email service did years ago. 

Message 6 of 33
latest reply

Knowing eBay, their is a good chance that you are right

and someone will be paying more.

124452.jpg

Message 7 of 33
latest reply

Someone time me.  How long does it take to click on DELETE? 

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 8 of 33
latest reply

I would be more worried about their broken search engine than the spam. So often I miss out on good deals, because eBay feels it is ok to actively suppress listings.
Message 9 of 33
latest reply

Ive left negative and neutral feedbacks when I get sales Emails from 3rd parties and sellers. Sometimes Ebay will bug the heck out of you through the app..Ive dumped the app and Ebay as well...no more selling or buying here for me.

Message 10 of 33
latest reply

"It's possible just to ignore the offers"

yeah, that's possible, I guess. But, I think the key word in the op,s post is, "circus." I'm thinking it's a point of view of one's dissatisfaction with the view: key word "circus."

But your post makes me wonder: you visit a fine eatery; you sit down at a table, and a few tables away there's a person continuously jumping up and down; waving their arms and legs and acting like a very rude clown in a "circus."

And when the waitress approaches you to take your order, you question them about the person acting like a clown. And the waitress tells you just ignore it.

So, if you decide that such a view is not for you, then you' ll leave, but if you stay then you're okay with the clownish sight, in which leads me to think it's one,s own point of view.

So what would you do?

I really don't need an answer. Just thinking to myself. As the true answer is, what would me, myself and I decide, for its one,s own point of view. And as for me, well, I don't much care for rude clowns?

Message 11 of 33
latest reply

@eunster1313 wrote:

124452.jpg

I can see either this or some form of an annual fee becoming a real possibility in the future.

Message 12 of 33
latest reply

@mobley120 wrote:

"It's possible just to ignore the offers"

yeah, that's possible, I guess. But, I think the key word in the op,s post is, "circus." I'm thinking it's a point of view of one's dissatisfaction with the view: key word "circus."

But your post makes me wonder: you visit a fine eatery; you sit down at a table, and a few tables away there's a person continuously jumping up and down; waving their arms and legs and acting like a very rude clown in a "circus."

And when the waitress approaches you to take your order, you question them about the person acting like a clown. And the waitress tells you just ignore it.

So, if you decide that such a view is not for you, then you' ll leave, but if you stay then you're okay with the clownish sight, in which leads me to think it's one,s own point of view.

So what would you do?

I really don't need an answer. Just thinking to myself. As the true answer is, what would me, myself and I decide, for its one,s own point of view. And as for me, well, I don't much care for rude clowns?

The secret to a lot of peace of mind is making distinctions between what is truly a problem and what is simply an inconvenience.

The noisy clown is encroaching physically on me/us and ruining an experience we pay money for.

The eBay best offers emails can be simply blocked and the offers ignored.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 13 of 33
latest reply

@go-bad-chicken wrote:

@eunster1313 wrote:

124452.jpg

I can see either this or some form of an annual fee becoming a real possibility in the future.

The last option is absolutely the pièce de résistance (speaking of restaurants). 😄

ETA: Yes, I use offers to buyers - not very often, though.

— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 14 of 33
latest reply

What do you mean by sellers capturing your casual visits?

I get emails from eBay every single day on items that I only looked at. However, those emails are from eBay.

Are you referring to the sellers making the buyers an offer? That seems to only happen if you 'like' the item and put it in your watch list.

What messages are sending you off the site?
Message 15 of 33
latest reply