cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why Has Ebay Banned Sales Of Dr. Seuss Books?

As I understand it, Ebay has now banned sales of the six Dr. Seuss books that will no longer be published. If Ebay is going to knuckle under to Cancel Culture & start censoring the things I can buy & sell on this site to fit a political narrative, then I will no longer do business on the website!

Get Woke, go broke!

Message 1 of 37
latest reply
36 REPLIES 36

Re: Why Has Ebay Banned Sales Of Dr. Seuss Books?

Yes, they deserve to be sued and should be boycotted.  I am in full agreement.

Message 16 of 37
latest reply

@bbra_us_1qfectf9y wrote:

Incorrect. eBay HAS banned these books because they supposedly violate eBay's policy against racist imagery. However, if you're in the market for a copy of Mein Kampf or something with a swastika on it then you're in luck. No ban on those items. 

@bbra_us_1qfectf9y 
No, that is incorrect. Here is the policy below. Nazi items are banned. (I believe stamps or coins may be exempt.)

Listings that promote, perpetuate or glorify hatred, violence, or discrimination, including on the grounds of race, ethnicity, color, religion, gender or sexual orientation, aren't allowed. This includes but is not limited to the following:

• Historical Holocaust-related and Nazi-related items, including reproductions
  • Any item that is anti-Semitic or any item from after 1933 that bears a swastika
  • Media identified as Nazi propaganda...”

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/prohibited-restricted-items/offensive-material-policy?id=4324

Message 17 of 37
latest reply

Ebay has a very long list of items that cannot be listed on the platform. This is nothing new.

Message 18 of 37
latest reply

@bilgerat984 You may want to review the eBay User Agreement, particularly Section 18. Titled Legal Disputes. Unless a seller opted out, they agree to use binding arbitration in place of class actions.

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/member-behaviour-policies/user-agreement?id=4259

Message 19 of 37
latest reply

"As I understand it, Ebay has now banned sales of the six Dr. Seuss books that will no longer be published. If Ebay is going to knuckle under to Cancel Culture & start censoring the things I can buy & sell on this site to fit a political narrative, then I will no longer do business on the website!"

Why would you support childrens books with racist images that could be hurtful to a child? I dont get it.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 20 of 37
latest reply

Can you keep me informed of the results 

Message 21 of 37
latest reply

I’d love to join this lawsuit if it goes through. More info?

Message 22 of 37
latest reply

The idea that books MUST present people as non-racial, non-identified-sexual, non-political, non-religious is alarming. To my mind this would encourage children to non-identify as anything at all. 

I looked through the books and find them historically accurate.

156795760_244863783695185_1658149156735494353_n.jpg

Message 23 of 37
latest reply

@tarajaninne wrote:

I’d love to join this lawsuit if it goes through. More info?

You want to join a "breach of contract" lawsuit against eBay, even though the User Agreement clearly gives them the right to remove ANY listing at ANY time?

I'm sure you'll be able to find a lawyer who will fleece you for as much as he can until a judge throws your suit out the nearest open window. Have fun!

Message 24 of 37
latest reply

::general reply::

While I don't agree with the whole "cancel culture" thing, what people tend to forget is that Ebay is a website, not the government. 

ANY website out there can ban ANYTHING they want. That's their RIGHT as the website owner. If Ebay wants to ban the sale of pink blouses, they can. If Ebay wants to ban the sale of cell phones, they can. If Ebay wants to ban the sale of ANYTHING, they CAN, because it's THEIR website.

There's no lawsuit here because there is nothing to sue over.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 25 of 37
latest reply

@newerused wrote:

The idea that books MUST present people as non-racial, non-identified-sexual, non-political, non-religious is alarming. To my mind this would encourage children to non-identify as anything at all. 

I looked through the books and find them historically accurate.

156795760_244863783695185_1658149156735494353_n.jpg

ZZZZ_22.jpg

Message 26 of 37
latest reply

That's a nice try by Ebay, but the Law supersedes that particular section. A contract cannot force a party to sign away their rights if it will benefit one party & disadvantage the other.  That's Day One of first year Contract Law.

Message 27 of 37
latest reply

As I've said to all others who have made this claim, please post the sections of the books YOU claim are "racist", so we can all see & judge it.

So far, NO-ONE has accepted that challenge.

I'm willing to bet that you, personally, have never read ANY of the 6 books in question, but you're perfectly willing to condemn those books as being "racist" because someone told you they are. That tells us alot about your personal character, doesn't it!

Message 28 of 37
latest reply

But not for just "ANY" reason.

I can find NOTHING in any of the 6 banned books that violate any of Ebay's TOS. If you disagree, post the pertinent parts of the books & explain to me how they violate the TOS.

Message 29 of 37
latest reply

No, they can't. They're not just "a website". This is a paid service. The TOS is a binding contract. Under Common Carrier law, they only have the right to ban things for reasons listed in the TOS. "Because we feel like it" is not  a legally valid reason.

I have yet to see anybody present ANYTHING in those 6 books that violates Ebay's TOS.

As far as I'm concerned, by refusing to allow the sale of these 6 books, Ebay is in Breech of Contract.

Message 30 of 37
latest reply