cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where are the customers? WHY aren't we getting any sales lately?

Been on ebay for 18 yrs.  top rated seller with 100% approval ratings. Over the course of that time, I've grown and added many new product lines & put thousands of dollars in new items online here this year alone. 

This year it seems is the year that ebay has died, for in spite of discounts, and sales, I am now lucky if I get 100 dollars in sales in a week!  (used to be 3-5x that much)  I have 1400+ current active listings on ebay and not a single sale in 2 days now?  WTH is going on here?   I do price searches for similar items.  Our prices are competitive, nearly always lower than others.  I share several product posts daily on facebook, instagram ect. (free advertising)  Still nothing.   Some say its the new algorithms, but how do we counter or fix that if this is the problem?  (you'd THINK ebay would be more on top of this issue)   I'm not going to be able to hang on here if things don't perk up.   😢 Open to suggestions.  

Message 1 of 283
latest reply
282 REPLIES 282

Re: Where are the customers? WHY aren't we getting any sales lately?

System nowork!

Message 106 of 283
latest reply

@rugerskick wrote:

3 days ago the switch was flipped off.  Had a number before, then it went dead.  Typical patterns.  Switch gets flipped, you get orders like normal.   Then the switch gets flipped off, you get zip.  3 days now.

Does that happen to everybody, or just a select few?

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 107 of 283
latest reply

Zero to no sales caught up to me also. Went from 10-12 sales a day to maybe 1 a day or no sales at all. Used to be where I could purchase new inventory weekly now I don’t have enough sales to put new items in the store. All my items are promoted and am paying at least 25% in fees on my items and on the inflated shipping costs. Shipping has risen so much that i believe it is certainly part of the issue. I changed to free shipping and baked in the shipping costs and when you do this it’s quite an eye opener. On an item that is $14.49 with free shipping you’ll be lucky to make $5. Everybody else is making more money off your item than you are. Now from a buyer’s perspective is a $5 item worth $15. I believe the lack of sales is a compilation of everything mentioned in your replies. Inflation being just part of the problem. I have stopped purchasing new items to list and am going to get my death pile listed and hope for the best. But when it costs $17 (buyers price) to ship 1 pound 1 ounce via priority from VA to CA we have some serious problems.  And on top of that as shipping increases your profit decreases because the 25% or more fee is being removed from the total cost not just the item. A new sales strategy is going to have to be implemented, you can’t just sell cheaper items anymore i.e. dvd’s, games etc. shipping costs more than the items value. The weight of the item plays a roll also… if an item weighs more than a pound it needs to be worth more than the shipping costs plus the 25% fees. Soft items are a risk always an issue with a tiny hole or something. Electronics are high risk always a problem or a “fabricated” problem. Now that limits what you can sell also. Basically not only what you sell is being limited by risk but now what you sell is also being limited by inflated shipping costs and inflation in general. I’m not willing to work for an extremely low profit margin and I’m certainly not going to join the sellers who marks their items down to nothing. Example: I’ve seen sellers sell an item for $5.99 with free shipping. How in the world are they making any money. Which leads to the next problem inexperienced sellers setting the sale price with their ridiculous low costs which affects everyone. Sure the buyer is happy but are you willing to lose money, time and effort to compete with someone that is clueless. Yes there are problems and the scope of the problems I believe do not relate to just one factor. I wish I knew what the fix is but right now the only answer I can see is to change strategies and honestly I’m not sure if even that will fix the problem.

Message 108 of 283
latest reply

I swear if feels exactly like that... a switch.  Some kind of rotation based on god knows what. They have so many factors that supposedly boost our items closer to the top in search, but if that's true, there's no way they can keep everybody happy...so there must be some kind of switch they flip to keep us all happy.  It's like playing a game of chicken for sellers, however.  How frustrated must I become before i holler UNCLE! and toss it all in after 25 years on ebay??

Message 109 of 283
latest reply

Marketplace has been working for me.  3 sales today.  eBay?  3 sales in the entire month of June!  Selling close to $200 or more on Tuesday with regular FBM buyer.  Who knows if I'll even get close to $200 on eBay in July?!  Going to focus on FB & randomly drop things on here.  Have to survive the summer somehow.  Good luck to all.   🙂

Message 110 of 283
latest reply

And good luck to you. Glad you found something that suits you.

Message 111 of 283
latest reply

This has been our worst year since starting an Ebay store full time. All the answers have been mentioned in every post about this place going down hill at one point.Unfair site policies, bad economy, bad sellers, bad buyers, no advertisements, no push to bring business here.This promoted listings is ridicoulous and money grabbing its killing sales for many people with low margins. Not a great place like it used to be, good luck to all that sells here 

Message 112 of 283
latest reply

It's not just the actual sales. Even if someone can't afford something, people still tend to look and acknowledge. I'm getting notification on the M & P sites that people at least are acknowledging and liking my items, but of course, on eBay, no one seems to window shop, no one seems to be here, PERIOD. 

There are no views for me, except on certain items and maybe the views or watchers I have received are robots or some mess. LOL. I think eBay already screwed up everything a long time ago, but now with inflation, yes I say it's the final end for many. Congrats on your sales, I've received ZERO F****** sales in now over 30 days.

Absolutely no excuse and only two extremely low offers just the other day  Btw, I just ended a bunch of my listings and still trying but the end is near for many. eBay wants you to fail and they are succeeding. 

Message 113 of 283
latest reply

"It's all eBay's fault."  People are in denial if there blaming ebay. There living in La, La Land. Our economy is what is troubling. God Bless America. 

Message 114 of 283
latest reply

The dollar store also does well in this economy. 

Message 115 of 283
latest reply

Exactly! Has anybody been to the grocery store lately? God Bless America. 

Message 116 of 283
latest reply

Along with more homeless and mental illness. That also keeps going up. 

Message 117 of 283
latest reply

I know that this is off the beaten path, but Immagration is up. 

Message 118 of 283
latest reply

Sales should grow exponentially!

Mine never do!

June was horrific!

eBays fault for NO Marketing Campaign!!!

Message 119 of 283
latest reply

"I also herd UPS is going on strike."

Message 120 of 283
latest reply