cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What to do when an offer is made by a scammer?

steph38240
Adventurer

Hi all,

I received an excellent offer on an item, only to realize the person that sent the offer is definitely a scammer (they left a note asking me to kindly text them and left a phone number). 

My question is, should I decline the offer or ignore it altogether? I know certain actions affect the algorithm, I want to do whatever will affect the algorithm the least so that I can keep the algorithm as happy as possible. 

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Place them on your blocked bidder list and don't reply to them.

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

@steph38240 wrote:

Hi all,

I received an excellent offer on an item, only to realize the person that sent the offer is definitely a scammer (they left a note asking me to kindly text them and left a phone number). 

My question is, should I decline the offer or ignore it altogether? I know certain actions affect the algorithm, I want to do whatever will affect the algorithm the least so that I can keep the algorithm as happy as possible. 

1. Report the buyer for attempting to do an off-eBay sale. Use the button here:

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/resolving-buyer-issues/report-issue-buyer?id=4084&st=12&pos=1&quer...

2. Put the buyer on your blocked bidder list. Use the button here:

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/resolving-buyer-issues/blocking-buyer-ebay?id=4082&st=12&pos=1&que...

I would just ignore the offer and let it time out. I also would not get into any communications with the buyer.

ALWAYS be honest and exceedingly FAIR!

The Volunteer eBay Community Mentor formerly known as juanmogamer
Message 3 of 10
latest reply

You can do either, ignore it or decline, I would ignore them and block them too if they wanted a text to take communications off ebay.

You have a sale today that was an accepted offer, but that wasn't it, right?

-------------
Posting ID
Message 4 of 10
latest reply

No that wasn't it, that was for a different item from a legitimate buyer

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

I'm happy you saw a scam in the making; some sellers "obey" the scammer and get ripped off!

spelling edit

-------------
Posting ID
Message 6 of 10
latest reply

steph38240
Adventurer

So I attempted to report this person but I can't figure out how. Technically they haven't purchased anything from me so they are not a "buyer" and thus are not in the list of buyers that ebay will allow me to report. How can I report someone that hasn't actually purchased from me?

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

That's a easy question. When an offer is made by a scammer, i ignore the offer or decline it.

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 8 of 10
latest reply

Take the advice juanmogamer gave and use those links to report the Ebay MEMBER. 

"Buyer" is just a term which also means "shopper" or "scammer" in this case!

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

@steph38240 wrote:

So I attempted to report this person but I can't figure out how. Technically they haven't purchased anything from me so they are not a "buyer" and thus are not in the list of buyers that ebay will allow me to report. How can I report someone that hasn't actually purchased from me?

You pretty much can't, although if it's any consolation, those messages are usually generated by a script via a throwaway account, and eBay will eventually detect them and delete the account. (The scammers will of course move on to a new throwaway account, but that is how the game is played.)

Message 10 of 10
latest reply