cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's up with product reviews?

I had a listing, that was given a "1 star" product rating.
Okay, so I will call the widget a "bottle of spice" and I will call the Spice "Cardamom" one of the most expensive spices in the world. There is a reason for that, but it's still not everybody's cup of tea.

I have a small, VERY HIGH GRADE, bottle of cardamom that is actually a very good deal (price per volume) if you are looking for cardamom. After I listed the item, eBay attached a "product rating"
★★★★ 1 product rating

1. This "product rating" shows up right under my title and large and in charge at the bottom of my listing
2. There are several sellers offering THE EXACT SAME bottle of cardamom at 5-10 times (BIN) my starting auction price.

I have a dozen question about this. most should be obvious.

why was that attached to my listing? (edit: I did put the UPC code in the Details section)
Is there a "product rating" page I can refer to (ie https://www.ebay.com/.... /product-ratings/...)
Is there anyway to remove Product Ratings from a listing?
Why are identical items free of this disastrous Product Rating?

And lastly, this is to @ebay, why the heck would I sell this item on eBay when it clearly has an ignorant or spite driven Product Rating?

Btw, I just checked The River, and the product rating for this item is 100% with 5 glowing reviews.

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: What's up with product reviews?

@little.font.lord.leroy wrote:

why was that attached to my listing? (edit: I did put the UPC code in the Details section)

You answered your own question.

Remove the UPC.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

You answered your own question.

Remove the UPC.

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Thanks, I actually typed up my question and then went back to the listing to see if I had missed anything and edited the UPC info. thanks for confirming it.

I am never going to list with a UPC again. There is no way to see what the product rating is going to be ahead of time

Does eBay even care? eBay is certainly doing a great disservice to both sellers and buyers with the current product rating method they are now using. But this is what we have come to expect from eBay. Somebody gets a huge promotion for suggesting something like "we should have product reviews like Amazon" and then the project is quickly handed over to a team who are experts at flubbing it up (they get promoted, too).

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

Product reviews are written by buyers.  If someone doesn't like the product, there goes the rating.  Unlike Amazon, Ebay doesn't pay folks for reviews.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 4 of 4
latest reply