cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's the nicest experience you've had with a buyer?

We all read horror stories from sellers on these boards of buyer scams, threats, and rudeness.  It can leave us disillusioned and pessimistic about our world.  This is a difficult selling environment, void of personal face-to-face contact and is solely dependent on our ability to communicate through the written word.

In my years of selling here, the majority of buyers have been kind, respectful, and appreciative.  After reading some disturbing posts this week, I thought I would like to have a thread where I could hear some uplifting stories from sellers about their buyers, for a nice change.

So…

A few years back I sold a full set of china to someone in early December.  Christmas morning I got a message from the buyer with photos attached showing her Christmas dinner table all decorated and set with the china she bought from me.  She was so proud of the way her table looked that morning that she wanted to share it with me.  I never had a buyer do anything like that and it made me feel good that she remembered how I packed it carefully and sent it out to her quickly so she took the time to include me in her Christmas morning.    

Message 1 of 40
latest reply
39 REPLIES 39

When you get them back as a repeat customer.  🙂

I am a founding member of the eBay Community Expert Group: a USA volunteer mentor with over a decade of experience. I am not an eBay employee.

Live simply. Care deeply. Love generously. Speak kindly. Laugh loudly. Act responsibly. Rejoice daily. Help cheerfully. Plan carefully. Criticize sparingly. Invest wisely. Forgive willingly. Shop seriously. Play fairly. Learn graciously.
Message 2 of 40
latest reply

I had gotten sick and fell way behind in everything.  A buyer paid $400.00 for my fees! She saved my eBay life!  We stayed in touch for several years after that.~~Barb

Message 3 of 40
latest reply

Thank you notes from buyers make me very happy. I have sold books to museum's and historical societies that makes me happy too. I have sold books at a loss to museums that had very little money. That makes me happy as it is where the book should be. But one book sale last month made me very happy. I sold a book to the author of the book! I have sold thousands of books but this one sale made me happy. It has never happened before.....

Message 4 of 40
latest reply

I have had many nice experiences with my buyers.  I had a lady buy a book from me that she had as a young girl and she took the time to send me a handwritten thank you note.  So sweet!  

evry1nositswindy  •  seller since 2013
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 5 of 40
latest reply

I have had great correspondence with many of my buyers.  I even had one gift me some beautiful shells that she found on the beach since she knew I was fond of ocean findings.  She even found a print that showed many of those shells and their names etc...

I only really had one bad one who didn't bother to read the description, but that was it.

Never had a case opened against me...I am very fortunate to have such wonderful buyers.

I love my buyers!  heart_eyes

Message 6 of 40
latest reply

There was a cookbook (I don't recall the specific name at this moment) from the 1970's which was out of print at the time.  I could buy this cookbook locally for a few dollars and "flip it" for between a $12-20 resale price on eBay.  What always amazed me was how happy the buyers were with this cookbook.  It was't pretty or shiny.  But it meant the world to the buyers.  

One buyer emailed me to say "I just wanted to let you know that when I opened this cookbook, it was as if time stood still.  My children were little again, and we were standing in the kitchen together baking cookies and stirring the batter.  Thank you."  That remains one of my best eBay memories from the time that I was a seller.  

Message 7 of 40
latest reply

I've had several years ago, I sold this one style of readers that was hard to find and had a buyer who purchase as many as I had in his strength every month. Every Friday I was sent $10 via PayPal with a note saying Happy ice cream sundae day. This happened every Friday for a long time after a message where the buyer asked me about the weather in California. It was winter and in the 90's and the buyer was in New York where it was below zero. I had told him I felt bad telling him how hot it was and that I had hot fudge sundae weather while he had hot chocolate weather.  Few days later he started sending me $10 every week for a hot fudge sundae, he did this until I could no longer find his style anymore... Sweetest buyer everheart

Message 8 of 40
latest reply

I've had fantastic buyers!! When I use to sell and when my husband and I had another account...our buyers were the best..

Like NC Daydreamer said...repeat ones are the best!! The little thank you messages via email really made my day..

But I got to bring up the wonderful sellers I've had for almost 2 decades...One lady in particular had sold me a lipstick hanging item and she sent me so many extra things that she no longer needed...I still stay in touch with her..

Message 9 of 40
latest reply

Great post.

As others mentioned, i also appreciate my buyers. Never had a bad experience selling here, despite the occasional non-payer on my infrequent auction listings. 

One of my buyers stands out. She was purchasing an expensive designer dress, and had inquired as to whether i would take less than my asking price. Well, I didn't take less and she ended up paying the full asking price but was most gracious about it afterwards. She needed it quickly delivered, and was quietly fretting about whether there was enough time for it to reach her, and then I discovered she was a younger lady whose father had suddenly passed. The dress was for the funeral. She didn't mention any of this to me prior to the purchase and she appeared utterly honest. So I sent it overnight at my expense to insure it reached her in time. She wrote me the nicest note and left touching feedback. Her gratitude was quite moving, and made me feel ten feet tall.

Most people are honest and good, and it is even possible for the human element to enter into this rather unfeeling, anonymous platform, allowing us to look after each other with kindness. Such connections don't happen often, but they happen. 

Message 10 of 40
latest reply

The nicest experience I have had with a buyer is when they bought an item, paid promptly, I shipped promptly, and there was no need for further communication.  

In fact, I have had thousands of "nicest experiences" here. 

Message 11 of 40
latest reply

I had a buyer from France tahat was so patient while her purchase went on safari in Australia and Africa and finally showed up at her home and she was just tickled even though it took 4 weeks.
Dear God, please help me to be
the person my dog thinks I am.
Message 12 of 40
latest reply

Great post, thank you!! 

I've had all great buyers and I've also never had a case opened against me with selling over 20 years. I have made many repeat buyers, people I continue to correspond with years later, and I've gone out and purchased specific items for more than one buyer because I knew they wanted it and it was my pleasure to do so. 

I am a doll collector and seller. I often times sell to repeat customers who are also collector's. Many times we end up trading items and letting one another know of a great deal on eBay. We get to know each other and end up corresponding via email afterwards. A few we've ended up friending each other on Facebook and continuing our friendship. Nothing but great stories to tell....

Message 13 of 40
latest reply

I've run into tons of bad buyers on ebay. But everyone here should know that I've run into exponentially more good buyers here too. It's just that no one really mentions the good ones.

Please refer to my post here written over a year ago. My wife had a semi-emergency C-section. I'll never forget it for the rest of my life, one buyer in particular made my wife tear up with appreciation and gratitude. https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Restoring-your-faith-in-ebay-buyers/m-p/28673684

Message 14 of 40
latest reply

I sold a new shirt and a kitten spilled a drink on it while it was out waiting to be packed up. I asked if the buyer wanted to cancel or wanted us to wash it and get it at a discount since it wouldn't be 'new' anymore. They let us wash it and paid full price, she said her daughter loved the shirt and thought the kitten thing was just funny.

Also cat related, a really long time ago when ebay didn't require paypal, my cat knocked a buyers letter with a check behind the desk and I didn't know, so after awhile he asked where his item was. I found it and explained and he wasn't mad, he said their cat did the same thing.
Message 15 of 40
latest reply