cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's the average time an item sits before it sells considering

Happy New Year!  Here's hoping that 2016 gives us more favour esp on Ebay.

Anyway, how long do you continue to relist items that do not sell right away. 

Based on your experience, what's the average time it takes an item to sell taking into consideration all factors?

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

I think the most I have relisted an item was 4 times before it sold.  My stuff usually sells on the first list, I have about 80% sell through rate, I start dropping prices if the item is not moving.

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

That's as meaningful a question as ''what's your average selling price?''

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

@deesgems wrote:

Happy New Year!  Here's hoping that 2016 gives us more favour esp on Ebay.

Based on your experience, what's the average time it takes an item to sell taking into consideration all factors?

@deesgems  I don't think there is any thing as an "average" amount of time for any item.  I've had things sell the very day I listed them while others I've had listed for many months and still haven't sold.  When item finally sells after being listed for that long it's awesome to finally unload it!  

I've heard from long time sellers here who have had things listed for years before the right buyer finally comes along.

So, I know you are probably eager to sell your items -- but there simply is no average.  A lot of factors come into play.

Happy 2018! May this upcoming year be a prosperous one!
Message 4 of 16
latest reply

It depends on the item and the size of it's target market.

List a $100.00 bill with a $5.00 buy-it-now and see what happens.

In the old days, I listed a rare oil painting 25 times (weekly auction) before it found the right buyer.

Lynn

Lynn

You love me for everything you hate me for

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

I sell quite a bit of replacement china and flatware.  I have some of them listed for more than a year - and yes, there are buyers, they just take awhile to come along and it can go slowly (one or two at a time).  I acquire some of those with that in mind.   However, there are tried and true fast movers and some unique things that sell much faster.

Unless you're clumsy by nature, how often do you need a dinner plate?  If it's often, maybe they should consider melamine.  lol

- Suzanne -
Message 6 of 16
latest reply

I'd recommend

pick any of your current items you're curious about.

See how many other sellers are now offering the exact same item

and ... see how many actually sold (or not) in Completed Listings.

Lynn

Lynn

You love me for everything you hate me for

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

Your answers are exactly the response I wanted in order to give me a general consensus.  As I go along, I try to figure out if I should relist, drop price etc etc.  It is good to be able to get a general idea so I know whether I am on the right track or not.

Thanks guys!

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

I've been watching on since late November that's on the third relist that I know of.  I don't know how many times it was listed before that.

They haven't changed the price at all even though it's higher than nearly all comparable items.

Forget keeping up with the Joneses. Be the Finklegrubers!
OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 9 of 16
latest reply

As long as I can re-list it for free I will keep trying till is sells. I just sold an item that I've been listing since the spring. It does take the right buyer to come along. I have sold other items within an hour of listing them. Some people save searches for rare-ish items and snap them up when they finally show up at the right price. Sometimes raising an items price has sparked interest.. you just never know. It also depends on how saturated your market is and unique your items are. Supply and demand, still the golden rule of any retail business! 

……………………………………………………………
Message 10 of 16
latest reply

@deesgems wrote:

OP, 

I had two sales last night. One was listed for the first time and sold in an hour, and one has been relisted regularly for 4 years. 

So I guess that would put my average at 2 years 🙂

Unlucky

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

After 3-4 months I start to lose track of items and it becomes a moderate hassle to ship them sometimes....

So how do you keep track of something for FOUR YEARS?

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

all our items, if they don't sell, go up in price until the right buyer comes along
║█║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█║ ║█║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█║ ║█║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█║

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please
Message 13 of 16
latest reply

I know this is weird because your comment was posted so long ago, but do you really put prices UP when you have a listing that takes ages to sell? I am surprised at this...it seems somewhat counterintuitive. Or am I just an inexperienced ebayer?

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

I had an item sell within seconds of listing (a Richard M. Nixon autograph - $50) and an item that took over a year to sell (a unique embossed Mercedes Benz promo coffee mug - $35). I do believe that with the decrease in traffic and buyers on eBay, that items take a lot longer for the right buyer to come along.

EDIT - oops ... ZOMBIE THREAD

@Anonymous

I'm ̶p̶r̶e̶t̶t̶y̶ ̶s̶u̶r̶e̶ certain the lunatics have taken over the asylum.
Message 15 of 16
latest reply