cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's Wrong With The Item Specifics??? Are you SERIOUSLY Kidding???

This morning I woke up seeing over 1000 listings that say soon to be required item specifics and over 100 listings that require Brand??? Are you seriously kidding me??? You cannot even create a listing without putting the brand in the very first place.... I am a software developer and wrote a software working a few months on it to make cool listings. I put almost all of the item specifics required or not required. And today I see they all are gone in almost all of my listings.. Don't you guys even test your code before you release them??? How is this even happening in a billion dollar company?? And you know what's worse. I try to update the listings using my same software that has been working for almost a year without any problem and they do not update. You want me update all these listings over 1000 manually??? You cannot even send an email to Ebay and I am pretty sure that I will have to talk to a rep who will have no idea what I am talking about when I call them.... I am totally mad. ANyone having this issue?

Message 1 of 71
latest reply
70 REPLIES 70

Yes I am having the same problem!! Also no sales! Whatever they are doing screwed everything UP!! I have consistant sales EVERY Day and for the last 2 days VERY Low sales. NONE today!! I am NOT REVISING 1200 listing FOR MORE item specifics!! Enoughs enough!! EVERY TIME they implement new things it screws everything UP!!!

Message 2 of 71
latest reply

me too!! what a mess!

Message 3 of 71
latest reply

@xali-13 wrote:

This morning I woke up seeing over 1000 listings that say soon to be required item specifics and over 100 listings that require Brand??? Are you seriously kidding me??? You cannot even create a listing without putting the brand in the very first place.... I am a software developer and wrote a software working a few months on it to make cool listings. I put almost all of the item specifics required or not required. And today I see they all are gone in almost all of my listings.. Don't you guys even test your code before you release them??? How is this even happening in a billion dollar company?? And you know what's worse. I try to update the listings using my same software that has been working for almost a year without any problem and they do not update. You want me update all these listings over 1000 manually??? You cannot even send an email to Ebay and I am pretty sure that I will have to talk to a rep who will have no idea what I am talking about when I call them.... I am totally mad. ANyone having this issue?

They are a 'billion dollar company' because they don't pay any more than they have to for their vendor(s) to do the programming.

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 4 of 71
latest reply

Yes it’s a complete disaster that never ceases. 

Message 5 of 71
latest reply

Yep this is INSANE!  I will have to edit EVERY one of my listings that I just finished filling out everything on before with the last MESS they created!  This will take HOURS!  I already did this!  How can they put out software that constantly screws everything up??  Now I am making hardly any sales this week and now I know why!

FIX THIS EBAY!!! PLEASE!

Message 6 of 71
latest reply

I just posted about this...I am a small seller only spending about two hours a day on Ebay and I put lengthy descriptions in the body of my ads. I don't want to spend time researching "soon to be required" heel styles or toe styles (or any other silly thing buyers like me don't care about when we are buying!) Mercari and Poshmark have much simpler listing apps so I'm beginning to wonder if this is the right platform for me!

Message 7 of 71
latest reply

They've lost a bunch of my already entered item specifics. 

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 8 of 71
latest reply

I am having most of the same issues as everyone has mentioned.  Very frustrating.

Message 9 of 71
latest reply

There is no doubt that eBay believes that seller have way way way too much time on their hands and need to provide meaningless "MAKE WORK " for them.

I don't know how I managed for so many years without all those UNNEEDED eBay requirements.

One thing is for sure, I have noticed, the more eBay helps, the FEWER sales I have.

I wonder if the former leaders of the Soviet Union now run eBay?

They seem to have the same NEED to control.

Message 10 of 71
latest reply

General reply to all--thank you beachy for your support to my post on another thread regarding this same issue. I am SO OVER this revising listings. All the hours of work, now all the info I added for the second time is gone !! Having a fit here. Now I have to do this for the 3rd time ???

I work part time during the day, some weeks full time, just dependent on holidays & having to "fill in" for co-workers. Got down to 8 more to revise, came home from work and have 395 to do. This is toooo much. 

My sales, like others have stated, have slowed way down. Am I expected to stay up all night doing this ?? 

I do not shop or use the internet even on my phone but what is this doing to those who shop that way ? The list of item specifics is so long, I would give up before I even got to the description in the listing. Not going to help anyone's sales, since I have read that phone shoppers now make up a majority of the shoppers here. 

Message 11 of 71
latest reply

Adding more item specifics...at my house we call this BBW...Baby Busy Work, defined as things to give a toddler to do to keep busy and feel like they are being helpful. 

evry1nositswindy  •  seller since 2013
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 12 of 71
latest reply

I feel your pain nilis. Just for fun, I looked at your listings. The 1st clothing item I came across was a Becky & Max dress (very pretty). Here is an example of the item specifics that the bay thinks we have to have and are really useful from your listing (good job filling them all in by the way)

Sleeve length: sleeveless

Sleeve style: sleeveless

Sleeve type : sleeveless

I am sure my listing look just as ridiculous or will soon when I get to "fixing" them. LOL. This listing of yours has 27 item specifics. What a joke !! Most of mine also ask for character, then character family, just in case I felt like typing "N/A" again !! 

Okay, end of rant. I am headed for the bar !

Message 13 of 71
latest reply

@xali-13 

@chapeau-noir 

@etvideo1ataol 

It's been a running neverending problem for the last 2.5 months. Went through and had to fix(Confirm everything was correct on 200+ listings back in early August). Now whenever I end a listing early to cycle through a few each day(bring them back to life) listings I fixed earlier will return to that list for updating. Mostly looking for information either I don't have or isn't applicable. Listing/fixing books is a major pita. Pardon my language. The other day went to list a Beatles book and for one of the required fields it was suggesting as applicable Marilyn Monroe Memorabilia. Huh??? You also have to watch for numbers. 3.25" can magically change to 325". Light Blue changes to Blue. There are others. Also, using the tool you are unable to view the rest of the listing. Often sellers would have put some of the newly needed info in the body of their listing. Also not backwards compatible if you go from the listing to find out what is now mandatory. In speaking to customer technical support they stated to me this is NOT anything to do with a Technical Issue. Double Huh!!!!! Even more difficult for sellers with 100's or 1000's of listings that were created months ago. Heaven forbid letting eBay prefill this info.

-Lotz

Message 14 of 71
latest reply

99.99% of everything they ask for is in the title of the listing if you want to sell your item in the first place.

Message 15 of 71
latest reply