cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's Going On?

I sold a lamp on Dec. 1, over a month ago. I shipped it in a timely manner, and the tracking showed as the package having been successfully delivered on Dec. 6. The buyer did not leave feedback, but since they usually don't anyway, I just figured no news was good news. Well, I was surprised today when the buyer opened a dispute with their credit card company, claiming the item was never received. I'm just wondering why they would bypass eBay and try to charge back their money? If I hadn't received an item I purchased after a month, I would at least have checked tracking to see where it stood, or tried to contact the seller, or at least, filed a case with eBay. But then, that's me. I got a message from eBay saying I was covered by eBay Seller Protection, but should I be worried about it, in case the buyer's credit card company decides they should be refunded? Could I be out my lamp AND the money?

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: What's Going On?

This is my understanding of credit card disputes for items not received.

If you have tracking and it shows delivered, you're good, eBay will cover for you.

Even if the bank sides with the buyer, eBay will pay out of their pocket and not take it from you.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 5 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Maybe their spouse bought it for a present and didn't tell.
Lots of reasons.
Just upload the tracking and photo of the item if you can, and an explanation it was an eBay item purchase, shipped to the address that came through with payment.
You'll be covered (more than likely)

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

No clue as to why buyers do what they do. But for your item not received case make sure you  up load tracking into it to be covered.

You should win it. 

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

No, you're covered. Nothing to worry about.

I'd add the buyer to my blocked list.

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

This is my understanding of credit card disputes for items not received.

If you have tracking and it shows delivered, you're good, eBay will cover for you.

Even if the bank sides with the buyer, eBay will pay out of their pocket and not take it from you.

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

@decodude wrote:

Could I be out my lamp AND the money?

Possibly but not probably.

You will be covered since tracking shows delivery...but who really knows what a bot is going to do. If the bot goes haywire you will just appeal.

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

Just comply with the credit card & show photos of the product & description as well the tracking info. This will go in your favor if you show all information to the credit card company. This has happened to me twice in my 22 years and once I provided the information in a timely matter it was resolved both times in my favor and both times the credit card company cleared me.

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

Thanks for all the comments, guys. This is why I love the community!

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

I did a dispute last month and won. I was able to actually talk to someone in eBay on "open talk" day that is once a month here. When a dispute is open from a bank....no matter what the reason is...eBay has to allow the dispute to go through. eBay is rather out of the picture and you are basically dealing with the bank through eBay now.

Giving a polite response and uploading a documentation (won't go through unless you upload a photo of something in the dispute) to process it...so be prepared to upload a photo of something. I had nothing to upload and just had a Christmas photo of my wife's Barbie & Ken and used that as documentation and won.

I mean, I didn't know I need to upload a photo of something. I gave bank a tracking number but I think the bank couldn't find it because bank needed a date + tracking number to find it...which I knew that might happen.

Good luck.

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

@decodude wrote:

I'm just wondering why they would bypass eBay and try to charge back their money?

Because they know that eBay would rule against them due to your delivery confirmation.

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

Had a 'not recognize transaction" open on me last week, 4 days after the got the item. I wrote the buyer and explain they had bought the item, all I got back was "mistake, sorry" and I ask them to drop the dispute. Nothing, even after sending a 2nd request, had to wait until the last day and disputed it, sent a screen shot of their purchase with name, address and tracking showing delivered and the email saying mistake, sorry. On my block list now.

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

Thanks for that......eBay said to do nothing right now, but I'm ready with your suggestion when I need to move forward.

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

Thanks.....that's basically what I thought but glad to get confirmation.

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

First thing I did!

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

Worse part is I told the buyer ebay would hold my money if they don't, sure enough, when I disputed it, ebay says 2-8 week hold on my money.

Message 15 of 15
latest reply