cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What items have the highest return and Inad rates?

Just doing a little bit of research here. What items have you found to have extremely high rates of returns or item not as described claims?

Message 1 of 28
latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

@onefootflipper 

Years ago I used to sell overstock clothing.  I had lots of returns based on "the item didn't fit" even though I posted all measurements concerning the garment. I don't sell clothing anymore.  Tough & saturated venue.  Sort of like jewelry. lol. 

Message 2 of 28
latest reply

Clothing I definitely figured. I have heard Drones are terrible and car parts as bad as well.

Message 3 of 28
latest reply

Clothing , I return half of the items that I buy in stores when I do not have time to try on in the fitting room. I discovered many years ago that online clothes buying is not for me.  If only other buyers would realize that too.  Shoes too.   I can't buy shoes online unless it's a specific model that I already own and I just need it in another color.  I refuse to sell clothes here for that very reason. Even with the measurements, sometimes, an item just does not fit correctly.   Anyway, no worries clothes sellers.  I won't be buying any clothing here.

Message 4 of 28
latest reply

Car parts too because very often they are aftermarket and in reality the fit and quality is not the same.  I won't buy any car part here either.

Message 5 of 28
latest reply

I would say used computers and parts has to be on the list of high return rates and Inads.

Lowest rates of returns and Inads most likely is postal history and airmail covers.  

Message 6 of 28
latest reply

Industry data, online and offline shows the highest product returns rates to be Women's Clothing and Auto Parts. All in the 20% range.

Used anything is a definite problem online. Many sellers enhance their descriptions of their offerings and grade optimistically.

Products bought from other than authorized wholesale channels can also have very high discount rates. Many sellers find themselves buying product which the authorized resellers know is about to be discontinued and replaced. When the product is actually discontinued, some quantity may be dumped on the market at prices which are substantially below what these sellers have paid.

When we bought liquidation products, we either bought all the manufacturer had left or did not buy, because we could not control the selling price.

Often the reason for a return on overstock product was not what the buy stated. It was they wanted the newer product or they wanted a lower price.

Nothing is simple or obvious in retail, although retail gets no respect for the skills required to succeed.

Message 7 of 28
latest reply

@pereirahawk 

I have to agree.

Between good pictures and having easily available catalogues, philately is a low fraud/low returns field.

Of course it helps if the seller has 20 or 30 years experience in describing and a huge reference library.

Message 8 of 28
latest reply

@ms.rodriguez* wrote:

Car parts too because very often they are aftermarket and in reality the fit and quality is not the same.  I won't buy any car part here either.

When I buy car parts i've done my research and I know EXACTLY what part number I need.

I need part number: 09-334455.

And I will only buy that part from someone who is selling a genuine OEM part.

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 9 of 28
latest reply

@onefootflipper 

While this sounds like an easy question, it really isn't.  There are factors that go into the answer that will be dependent upon the individual seller ability to write effective listings, ship right away and offer good to excellent customer service.

Often the buyers file an INAD when in fact it is a Buyer's Remorse return.  But buyers to this to ensure that the seller pays the return shipping.

Likely the highest categories for INADs are likely the following, in no particular order.

Electronics

Jewelry

Clothing

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 10 of 28
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

@onefootflipper 

While this sounds like an easy question, it really isn't.  There are factors that go into the answer that will be dependent upon the individual seller ability to write effective listings, ship right away and offer good to excellent customer service.

Often the buyers file an INAD when in fact it is a Buyer's Remorse return.  But buyers to this to ensure that the seller pays the return shipping.

Likely the highest categories for INADs are likely the following, in no particular order.

Electronics

Jewelry

Clothing

Adding to that, it depends on what YOUR return policy is.  I sell clothing, always have.  I am no returns & other than a few tests, always have been.  I get virtually no return requests.  Generally only 1 or 2 a year.   But if I allow returns, they can get really high & I get MORE SNAD's (way more) when I allow returns, cuz they don't want to pay to return it.  For me, being no returns means almost no one even asks.  My demographic does come into play as well, but the main difference is whether I allow returns or not.  

This one goes to Eleven - Nigel Tufnel

Simply-the-best-for-you Volunteer Community Mentor
eBay Seller since 1996

Message 11 of 28
latest reply

I sold vintage costume jewelry for years and had very few returns until the very end, when eBay encouraged SNADs and scammers.    Then again, I also included good photos and a detailed description.   Modern jewelery and any Designer moderns are the problem children.  People sometimes "rent" them for fancy events and then return.  Vintage designer sold to collectors?  Zero returns.  People who bought it grabbed it and ran. 

The only thing I ever remember returning were a pair of shoes because the seller lied about the size.  The shoes were marked with two different sizes, USA and EU, and they didn't match.  Seller didn't measure and picked the wrong size. 

She who dies with the most toys still dies; when's the estate sale?
Message 12 of 28
latest reply

The following contains some pretty good information. 

https://savemycent.com/ecommerce-return-rate-statistics/  

Message 13 of 28
latest reply

Historically clothing and shoes have some of the highest return rates.  Womens clothing and shoes are highest.

Message 14 of 28
latest reply

@dbfolks166mt wrote:

The following contains some pretty good information. 

https://savemycent.com/ecommerce-return-rate-statistics/  

@onefootflipper 

There is all kinds of research you can find with a Google search that covers retail returns (on  or off line), the best ones with the most detail and best analysis are usually behind a very costly paywall.

The link above is reasonably good for a general broad picture, note that all the info there is scraped from other online sources (sources listed at the bottom).

Message 15 of 28
latest reply