cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is your blocking policy about "Don't fit" returns on shoes/Clothes?

Hi

My question is not "Do I have to accept return and refund" ?

I do and accept Ebay policy. I always promptly accept returns if Ebay does not do it first.

But blocking is my decision.

My question is, at what point do you block or never block?

One purchase returned?

2?

10?

Never?

Thanks

Weatherloach

Message 1 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Re: What is your blocking policy about "Don't fit" returns on shoes/Clothes?

Yep. I just had a customer buy two items. One she says is too small and we have detailed photos with rulers up against everything all one needs to have in front of them to assess size. This buyer bought another item from us after a return of this one saying, just did not like it. On the block list they go. No time to deal with people like this or the expense of free shipping to them and back. Gone forever from buying from us.

Message 16 of 22
latest reply

I sell jewelry not clothing though. Clothing is very difficult to assess even more so than jewelry for fit issues. Generally though I give a buyer one chance with us and if they do another return, we block. We used to allow more than three retuns and we had one buyer one return over 4 returns, each one with a nit picky reason. Now no more of this.

Message 17 of 22
latest reply

I offer free returns. Do it primarily for customer service reasons, but also to potentially avert a buyer’s ever needing to open a NAD case. It works in my case because i rarely get returns to begin with, and luckily never had a SNAD (knock on wood) so far.

So there would be little to no need for me to block someone for a return under these circumstances.

Not sure how many IDs on my block list—maybe 5 or 6 (over 15 selling years). There’s no blocking preemptively, but only as a result of some action on their part. Find my risk tolerance is probably higher than some, so rarely would condemn a buyer for, say, having an issue with someone else. But it was likely a fairly egregious misbehavior for them to land on my block list.

Message 18 of 22
latest reply

What? Why?

Why would you block someone because something didn't fit?

Sizes vary across all brands and even with measurements in photos you're still going to get returns were the item doesn't fit.

Blocking someone for legitimately returning something because it didn't fit is a little ridiculous in my opinion. 

The majority of my returns are because the item doesn't fit but I don't block every single person because it's not a problem. Just move forward and relist the item, don't block the person.

Message 19 of 22
latest reply

You can do everything right and eBay will still insist the item isn’t described. The problem is allowing the customer to choose the reason for the return. If they write in the reason area “doesn’t fit” but choose the “not as described” option, you get punished even though your item was accurately described and this happens a lot. eBay really needs to change the return process so the customer has to contact the seller with their issue and the seller will initiate the correct return process. eBay only needs to step in if sellers don’t handle returns in a timely way. I would say many sellers are suffering in the search algorithms because of their seller metrics being falsely jacked up by these incorrectly labeled returns. 

Message 20 of 22
latest reply

The question to ask is “If you bought an item that didn’t fit, how would you feel knowing the seller blocked you from their store for a legitimate return?” I’m sure you would be insulted. The only time it would be appropriate to block a customer is when they are abusing the return policy by making excessive returns in which case you should be reporting that buyer before blocking them. 

Message 21 of 22
latest reply

@johnson_junk_company wrote:

The question to ask is “If you bought an item that didn’t fit, how would you feel knowing the seller blocked you from their store for a legitimate return?” I’m sure you would be insulted. The only time it would be appropriate to block a customer is when they are abusing the return policy by making excessive returns in which case you should be reporting that buyer before blocking them. 

Well, the key is what defines "legitimate"?  That's why I go by my return policy.  If OP allows returns, then those returns are legitimate.  If OP doesn't allow returns, then they are not.   OP never says what their policy is.  

ITA though about your other post allowing buyers to select the reason.  If I have returns on, then I'm ok allowing returns, but I actually had WAY MORE SNADs when I allowed returns!  B/C they got to choose the reason.  

This one goes to Eleven - Nigel Tufnel

Simply-the-best-for-you Volunteer Community Mentor
eBay Seller since 1996

Message 22 of 22
latest reply