cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is this bizarro listing?!

A friend shared this with me. Is this some sort of Ebay test account? I could see someone posting a wrong pic, but that doesn't explain a title just saying New. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/385638966434?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=bU3qQVmOTHS&sss...

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

It says "salad test" in the description field. 

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Maybe it was just a test listing by someone to see if he could list his items?

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

ise710
Thrill-Seeker

@soh.maryl wrote:

@lux.ra_14 wrote:

It says "salad test" in the description field. 

Maybe it was just a test listing to see if he could list his items? 

Yup, before they toss their salad, pull up their roots, and sell their steak in eBay.

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

@slyders_finds 

I see the little kid in the orange coat error when clicking on the listing link you shared, so I cannot view the original listing

There is a special category path for test listings. If you are interested you can learn more here:

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/listing-policies/test-listings-policy?id=5039 

Perhaps the seller with the test listing did not use the appropriate category and now eBay has removed the listing.

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

It was a picture of a salad. It was $2 + $2 shipping. Title just said New. Item specifics said it was a headlamp. And the seller was using a selling account with 56 stars. Violated all the rules looking at the link you provided. In 19 years on Ebay I have never heard of a test listing. Learned something new. But what is the purpose of a test listing? Do they get some sort or report back from Ebay? 

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

@slyders_finds wrote:

It was a picture of a salad. It was $2 + $2 shipping. Title just said New. Item specifics said it was a headlamp. And the seller was using a selling account with 56 stars. Violated all the rules looking at the link you provided. In 19 years on Ebay I have never heard of a test listing. Learned something new. But what is the purpose of a test listing? Do they get some sort or report back from Ebay? 

I have not used test listings myself, however, I do know a respected member of this community that does use test listings, so let's ask them.

@shipscript 

The OP is requesting information regarding the use of test listings. I remember that you have active test listings, so am hoping you will share some of your insights and experience.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

I have seen test listing by eBay but that was many (many) years ago. There was a notation in the listing not to bid. 

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

What is the purpose of a test listing?  I'm curious too @shipscript 

evry1nositswindy  •  seller since 2013
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

I used to see test listings on a regular basis. I've done some myself though not lately.

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/listing-policies/test-listings-policy?id=5039

ETA: It was to test templates after I had written one, or photo resolution. The 'preview' wasn't good enough as I noticed changes particularly in photo resolution after actual listing. That may have changed since then.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 10 of 11
latest reply

@mcdougle4248 wrote:

I see the little kid in the orange coat error when clicking on the listing link you shared, so I cannot view the original listing

Perhaps the seller with the test listing did not use the appropriate category and now eBay has removed the listing.

Ding ding ding. I forget what category it was in - bike headlights or something like that. Or maybe it was headlamps (like the ones you wear to go caving).

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 11 of 11
latest reply