cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is private about a private listing?

I created a private listing for a customer. I sent a message to my customer with the unclickable listing link. And someone else purchased the item. I really don’t understand why there is an option for a private listing if it is not private. Now I have to do some serious damage control for an item that will bring a net profit equal to 3 gallons of gas. 

Anyone have this happen? How to deal with it? Suggestions? 

Thank you in advance.

Katy

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Re: What is private about a private listing?

The only thing private is that when feedback is left by either party the Title of the listing is hidden and you can't click through to the listing page.

Years ago it was a bit more meaningful but that was back in the day when anyone could see a bidders actual user name.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

You can't make an exclusive listing. What I do is list the item with a stupid high price, let my buyer know to send in a best offer, I take the offer and it is theirs. The other thing I do if we have close communication is just let them know the time when I list so they can jump on it. Both methods have worked.

I don't sell on any platform where we can do an exclusive listing, but these methods work pretty much anywhere.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Thank you for your replies. 

I have listed exclusive listings before with the private listing option and it always worked but now I know it wasn’t the private listing option that made it work just luck. 

If there is an eBay programmer out there listening please consider renaming the private listing option. 

Thank you!

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

When I do "private" listings for people, I protect the listing by putting a high buy it now price on it and offering best offer at the agreed-upon price.  The high price of course prevents anyone in their right mind from purchasing it, and then I can accept the correct offer, without anything getting in the way of the transaction.

KrazzyKats
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

In answer to the original question:

Private listings | eBay

krazzykats_0-1707469919077.png

KrazzyKats
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

What I will do is make the listing but list it at a super high price no one will want to purchase it at example a toy car listed for $1000. Then i let the customer know to submit the offer for the agreed price and then I accept it. That works pretty good for me. Then if they don't buy it I can always revise the listing price and just sell it.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

It was a good move to set up the option of private listing. I remember when other sellers would try to contact a bidder(s) on another auction and try to offer their item for less. I believe this was in the very early days of eBay when transactions were only done by money orders only.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Private listings allow buyers to remain anonymous when they bid on or buy an item. Usernames are hidden from other members viewing the listing and can only be seen by the seller.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply