cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What happens when eBay tells you they canceled a sale & you already shipped?

A buyer bought an item on a buy-it-now and paid through eBay.  I shipped it and the buyer received it in record  time but yesterday I go a notice from eBay they were "canceling" the sale.  The email said in part:

"We wanted to let you know that a recent bid or order for the listing below was canceled because of an issue with the buyer’s account..."

The buyer sent me a message via eBay a little while later saying their account was hacked and they had requested eBay to cancel only a few items purchased but mine was not one of them. They acknowledged they had the item and wanted to be sure I was paid.

So what happens now?  eBay advised me as one strategy to recall the package (too late, buyer already has it) and the cost to do a recall would probably exceed the cost of the item anyway.  

Right now the money seems to still be in my account.  Anyone have experience here and can tell me what to expect?  eBay wants sellers to ship ASAP and I thought we relied on them to know a payment is valid.

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: What happens when eBay tells you they canceled a sale & you already shipped?

Should be no problem............  if they do "take back the payment", file an appeal......because as long as you mailed to the address they provided you are covered for not authorized use (a hack).  I've had similar cases and they've never tried to claw back the $$.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Re: What happens when eBay tells you they canceled a sale & you already shipped?

Should be no problem............  if they do "take back the payment", file an appeal......because as long as you mailed to the address they provided you are covered for not authorized use (a hack).  I've had similar cases and they've never tried to claw back the $$.

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

Agreed.  You actually lucked out.  eBay will refund your fees.  You will be able to keep the money.

----------------------------
Successful and experienced seller since 1997, over 70,000 feedback, boardie since the boards were begun.
Message 3 of 12
latest reply

SAME THING HAPPENED TO ME YESTERDAY!  Ebay told me NOT to ship the item.  Auction ended last week and the item was already in New Hampshire.  I tried to get it back but it was delivered today!  NOW WHAT DO I DO??? I got the same message you did!

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

You shouldn’t have to do anything.  Anytime I’ve heard of eBay cancelling the sale after shipment, the seller still keeps the money. It’s happened to me a couple of times  and after the original eBay message, I was never asked to refund.  Plus, as far as I know, the buyer received their item.

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

I got the same message this morning for an order that was paid and shipped days ago. No way to retrieve it this late in the game. Was a $50+ item so hoping I'm not in the hole for that AND out my item. Been selling on Ebay since 99 and have never encountered this before. Hoping Ebay has something that covers sellers and they don't take back the money in a few day s 😞

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

Same situation just happened now, the item was already delivered.

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

They have done this for years.  If you have shipped the item, they know it as the system shows them that.  They NEVER pull the payment from you.  NEVER!!!  Now that may be different if they item has not shipped.  But if you have shipped, all is good and you have nothing to worry about.

In all my years here on Ebay, I have had my fair share of these notifications.  All of which had been shipped and received by the buyer.  I never had any problem whatsoever.  I kept the sale and the money and the buyer got what they paid for.  All was good.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 8 of 12
latest reply

Same here, this morning received the same email from eBay. Looks like they have closed buyers account.

my item was shipped and received signed for within 48 hours of purchase and I am getting this message from eBay 3/4 days after delivery. 
not sure what will happen next yet but the funds already has cleared into my account.

The buyer had 4 feedback , initially it was zero and switched to 4 all of a sudden.

My spider senses kicked in straight away to be honest and I had a feeling there would be an issue as I can kind of tell who will potentially be problematic from previous experience.

Let’s see what will happen

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

@r.soles_sneakers wrote:

Same here, this morning received the same email from eBay. Looks like they have closed buyers account.

my item was shipped and received signed for within 48 hours of purchase and I am getting this message from eBay 3/4 days after delivery. 
not sure what will happen next yet but the funds already has cleared into my account.

The buyer had 4 feedback , initially it was zero and switched to 4 all of a sudden.

My spider senses kicked in straight away to be honest and I had a feeling there would be an issue as I can kind of tell who will potentially be problematic from previous experience.

Let’s see what will happen

@r.soles_sneakers 

I posted this just above your post.  It should help you.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/What-happens-when-eBay-tells-you-they-canceled-a-sale-amp-you/...

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 10 of 12
latest reply

Thank you .. sounds reassuring !! 👍

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 12 of 12
latest reply