cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What happens if you decline a buyer's request to cancel an order?

A buyer won an auction and requested to cancel the order after the auction ended. I noticed my options for response was to either 'accept' or 'decline'. What happens if you decline and ship the order?

Just curious.

Message 1 of 31
latest reply
30 REPLIES 30

You'll probably have a PO'd buyer, who may file a SNAD or a chargeback.  Sometimes it's unavoidable though, b/c you've already shipped the item. 

This one goes to Eleven - Nigel Tufnel

Simply-the-best-for-you Volunteer Community Mentor
eBay Seller since 1996

Message 2 of 31
latest reply

It's probably best if you just accept the cancellation. It sucks, but it may save you some grief later.

Message 3 of 31
latest reply

Was there more than one bidder? Perhaps you can make a second chance offer to the next bidder.

Message 4 of 31
latest reply

It looks like you opted for the 'No Return' policy which is a benefit for the BUYER, not you. And it should be - sellers shouldn't be able to walk away from a sale and shrug off any problems.

If they claim the item is not described and you refuse the return, eBay takes the money from you, gives it to them and lets them keep the item as well.

Cancel.

Message 5 of 31
latest reply

You can ignore the request if you are set to your selling terms, etc -that was (!) ok to do when ebay was somewhat reasonable to deal with in case of after sale issues (those buyers can be really nasty), but I don`t recommend going that route nowadays because there will be no ebay support despite you being right.

When I get a cancellation request, I don`t even blink and agree to cancel, then immediately block that user. 

Message 6 of 31
latest reply

If you do accept the cancellation, be sure to select "buyer asked to cancel". 

Message 7 of 31
latest reply

What happens if you decline and ship the order?

@seng_bl 

You're setting yourself up for a Return claim. I'd recommend approving the cancellation and relisting your item.

Message 8 of 31
latest reply

First, I agree with the others just cancel the sale and move on I do block that buyer. I do take exception with the "No Return' being a benefit to the buyer I really think this is very dependent on the items you are selling. 

Message 9 of 31
latest reply

I would cancel the order.  Just because you have no returns, doesn't mean they can't open a case later and get a refund.  They'll get a refund and are not obligated to return the item, as you state you have a "no returns."  In this case, the buyer always wins. 

Message 10 of 31
latest reply

@m_pthisandthat wrote:

First, I agree with the others just cancel the sale and move on I do block that buyer. I do take exception with the "No Return' being a benefit to the buyer I really think this is very dependent on the items you are selling. 

So do I.  It's perfectly acceptable to have No Returns.  I swear by it.   It is absolutely ok to do & benefits you for Remorse Returns.  It will not help for a Fake SNAD or a real SNAD.   So, you may still have to refund on occasion, but it can save you a LOT of hassle for remorse returns.  

This one goes to Eleven - Nigel Tufnel

Simply-the-best-for-you Volunteer Community Mentor
eBay Seller since 1996

Message 11 of 31
latest reply

1.    Accept the cancellation request.  The buyer has already said they don't want the item via this request for what ever reason - don't press   for  the reason - it could be for personal reason(s).

2.  If this is your  return policy " Returns:  Seller does not accept returns"     This doesn't mean squat.  eBays  Money Back Guarantee out trumps this all day long.  And if you try to fight it  No returns  does not mean no refunds. and if eBay has to settle the issue it may mean the buyer doesn't have to return the item too.

Read the eBay MGB - https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy...

3.  If you have already shipped the items - advise  the buyer to "return for  refund"

4.  No seller likes order cancellation - but is is just part of  the game - I sold for 41+ years.

"I have the right to remain silent but I didn't have the ability." Ron White, Fritch, Texas
"Stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution." A. Einstein
The Devil made me do it! - Flip Wilson
If the band can only play loud - they ain't no good - peps too J.R. Johnson
Message 12 of 31
latest reply

What possible reason on the planet would you not agree to cancel the purchase?  The least that could happen is just time and aggravation as the buyer finds another reason to force a return.  The worst outcome is to lose both the money and the item.  The choice is yours.

Message 13 of 31
latest reply

@seng_bl wrote:

... What happens if you decline and ship the order?...

What happens is, you will likely regret it.  The customer no longer wants this item.  If the customer receives it, s/he will doubtless file an Item Not As Described claim -- and will be tempted to damage the item as necessary to make that claim good.  

In INADs, eBay sides with the buyer.   If you were to get the item back, it would be probably unsaleable, although you won't get it back if you have a No Returns policy.

=

Message 14 of 31
latest reply

@seng_bl wrote:

A buyer won an auction and requested to cancel the order after the auction ended. I noticed my options for response was to either 'accept' or 'decline'. What happens if you decline and ship the order?

Just curious.

@seng_bl 

Why make a buyer feel forced to purchase and pay for an item they don't want?

Another negative fallout for you is if the buyer feels forced to pay and receive the item, they can leave negative feedback for you and with your rather low feedback score and few other recent feedbacks, that neg will pull down that score and hurt for a full year!

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 15 of 31
latest reply