cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What happens if a new buyer purchases from a new seller and wants to return?

What will happen if a new buyer buys from a new seller and a dispute occurs between them and a case is opened with whom does eBay stand in this case, since both parties do not have any reputation on the site and both of them have zero feedback?

Message 1 of 55
latest reply
54 REPLIES 54

Re: What happens if a new buyer purchases from a new seller and wants to return?

@dakbat-61 wrote:

when you list an item which you don't have but you see it on another seller account you take photos and list it on your account for higher price when it sells you buy from seller to your buyer directly and get the difference as profit.

You've been told that that is NOT allowed! (You were informed a week ago!) Retail arbitrage isn't ebay-legal and you are risking suspension if you continue..  

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 16 of 55
latest reply

Re: What happens if a new buyer purchases from a new seller and wants to return?

@albertabrightalberta wrote:

@

You've been told that that is NOT allowed! (You were informed a week ago!) Retail arbitrage isn't ebay-legal and you are risking suspension if you continue..  

I am not disagreeing with you, but could you please provide an eBay policy link that reads that retail arbitrage is not allowed on eBay.  Thank you.

Message 17 of 55
latest reply

@dakbat-61 

You need to take some time and learn eBay before you continue. Coming here asking question after question is time wasted for all concerned.

Posting on Boards:

https://community.ebay.com/t5/About-the-Community/Community-Guidelines/td-p/26164369

Selling:

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/selling/start-selling-ebay?id=4081&st=12&pos=4&query=Start%20selli....

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/listings/listingsoverview?id=4072&st=3&pos=1&query=All%20about%20l....

Disputes/Refunds/Returns:

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/managing-returns-refunds/manage-returns-missing-items-refunds-sell...

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 18 of 55
latest reply

@downunder-61 

I have to agree.  I think I have already replied to 2 other threads started by @dakbat-61 today.

And they all have the same or similar theme.  Its like they are hunting for a different answer.

And @dakbat-61 

I suggest you try to refrain from re-hashing and re-posting theoretical questions such as these.  I'm not trying to discourage you from posting in general, but seeing a similar thread several times on the forum from the same user is discouraging for others to want to answer, as many of the others and myself feel that the base question has been answered already, multiple times.

Thanks for understanding.  If you continue to have questions, please keep it to the first thread you started with this subject.

Gator08041971  •  Volunteer Community Mentor 2024
Member of eBay since 2000

Message 19 of 55
latest reply

Based on his recent threads it really seems like he's either very bored & making up these scenarios just to see the reactions or he's fishing around to see what kind of stuff he can get away with on Ebay. Either way, there's something shady about this guy

Message 20 of 55
latest reply

@golfingaddict wrote:

@

I am not disagreeing with you, but could you please provide an eBay policy link that reads that retail arbitrage is not allowed on eBay.  Thank you.

@golfingaddict 

That's covered in the drop shopping policy. It's definitely not allowed.

"However, listing an item on eBay and then purchasing the item from another retailer or marketplace that ships directly to your customer is not allowed on eBay.'

source:

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/posting-items/setting-postage-options/drop-shipping?id=4176

Message 21 of 55
latest reply

seems that policy is covered here.

Drop shipping and product sourcing | eBay

Message 22 of 55
latest reply

What is the dispute?

EBay does not use feedback to assess member accounts.

Item Not Received?

The seller has to show Delivery (not shipping, delivery) to win. If they can't the buyer is refunded.

Not As Described?

No arguments are considered. The seller pays for the return of the disputed item and refunds on return.

Even sellers with a No Returns policy* can demand the return before refunding.

Feedback is a legacy of the 20th century internet, and is meaningless except for egoboo.

*A Bad Idea since it makes the seller look difficult to deal with.

Message 23 of 55
latest reply

@crazystuff4sale wrote:

@golfingaddict wrote:

@

@golfingaddict 

"However, listing an item on eBay and then purchasing the item from another retailer or marketplace that ships directly to your customer is not allowed on eBay.'

source:

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/posting-items/setting-postage-options/drop-shipping?id=4176

@crazystuff4sale 

That is not exactly what I was asking:

I specifically want to know where and how on the site it says that RETAIL ARBITRAGE is not allowed.

People mention retail arbitrage all the time and I have actually been corrected a few times for using that link.

Where does it say on the site that Retail Arbitrage is not allowed?  

Message 24 of 55
latest reply

@dakbat-61 wrote:

What will happen if a new buyer buys from a new seller and a dispute occurs between them and a case is opened with whom does eBay stand in this case, since both parties do not have any reputation on the site and both of them have zero feedback?

eBay does not really take a seller's reputation or a buyer's reputation into account.

If it is an "Item Not Received" dispute, eBay decides the case based on the tracking information that the seller provides in his response to the dispute. If the seller has online-viewable delivery confirmation from a carrier that eBay recognizes and the seller provides that within the dispute and within the correct time frame, the seller will prevail.

In almost every other case, the seller needs to accept the dispute and refund the buyer.

Message 25 of 55
latest reply

@golfingaddict wrote:

@crazystuff4sale wrote:

@golfingaddict wrote:

@

@golfingaddict 

source:

@crazystuff4sale 

That is not exactly what I was asking:

I specifically want to know where and how on the site it says that RETAIL ARBITRAGE is not allowed.

People mention retail arbitrage all the time and I have actually been corrected a few times for using that link.

Where does it say on the site that Retail Arbitrage is not allowed?  

In ecommerce today the term "retail arbitrage" is widely used to describe the process which is not allowed in the link I provided.

(Nobody is using retail arbitrage to describe buying clearance items at walmart and selling them online. I don't think anyone ever really was but whatever.)

Message 26 of 55
latest reply

@crazystuff4sale 

Except if you do google retail arbitrage you get different definitions that basically say "buying on clearance at Walmart" and reselling them elsewhere.

If drop shipping is allowed and retail arbitrage is some sort of drop shipping (as the OP wants to do) I want to know where these people find the link that says (on eBay) retail arbitrage is not allowed.

Waiting for the link with the term Retail Arbitrage.

Message 27 of 55
latest reply

Waiting for the link with the term Retail Arbitrage

@golfingaddict 

You'll be waiting a while since there is no rule against retail arbitrage. This board just uses the term incorrectly to mean drop shipping. I guess they think it sounds fancier 

Message 28 of 55
latest reply

@golfingaddict wrote:

@crazystuff4sale 

Except if you do google retail arbitrage you get different definitions that basically say "buying on clearance at Walmart" and reselling them elsewhere.

If drop shipping is allowed and retail arbitrage is some sort of drop shipping (as the OP wants to do) I want to know where these people find the link that says (on eBay) retail arbitrage is not allowed.

Waiting for the link with the term Retail Arbitrage.

@golfingaddict 

Ebay doesn't use the term in their policy. 

They just tell you very specifically what is and what isn't allowed.

The policy is very clear.

If you don't understand that I can't help you.

Message 29 of 55
latest reply

@mordecai8614 wrote:

Waiting for the link with the term Retail Arbitrage

@golfingaddict 

You'll be waiting a while since there is no rule against retail arbitrage. This board just uses the term incorrectly to mean drop shipping. I guess they think it sounds fancier 

People trying to legitimize the sleazy practice that is not allowed on ebay started using the term retail arbitrage for that.   Ebay's drop-shipping  policy is very clear if you read it.

Message 30 of 55
latest reply