cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What happens if a new buyer purchases from a new seller and wants to return?

What will happen if a new buyer buys from a new seller and a dispute occurs between them and a case is opened with whom does eBay stand in this case, since both parties do not have any reputation on the site and both of them have zero feedback?

Message 1 of 55
latest reply
54 REPLIES 54

Re: What happens if a new buyer purchases from a new seller and wants to return?

Depends upon the situation, but while we are being vague, buyer is generally favored.  

Message 2 of 55
latest reply

Re: What happens if a new buyer purchases from a new seller and wants to return?

The buyer is heavily favored in all situations on eBay, though sellers do have protection in some instances (not delivered if you have tracking showing delivered being one of them). If @buyselljack2016  correctly identified that you're selling digitally delivered goods, not only do you have virtually no protection against any type of claim, but your selling days could be short if you haven't received direct permission from eBay to sell those types of items, which I doubt you have since they seem to only offer it to large companies and established sellers from what I can tell.

Message 3 of 55
latest reply

The same thing that happens if the buyer has 20 years on the site and thousands of feedback and the seller has 20 years on the site and thousands of feedback.

And the same thing if the seller has many  years on the site and thousands of feedback and the buyer has zero feedback and a new account..

And the same thing if the seller has no experience and feedback and the buyer has many years on eBay and thousands of feedback.

In other words, it does not matter.    eBay treats them all the same.  

Message 4 of 55
latest reply

Clearly depends on the dispute, but yes, in general, the Buyer is protected by eBay's Money Back Guarantee.

https://pages.ebay.com/ebay-money-back-guarantee/ 

However, Sellers are protected from many things, like Item Not Received cases where tracking confirms Delivery.

Seller Protections:

https://www.ebay.com/sellercenter/selling/seller-protections 

However, since you mention Returns... short answer is the buyer is heavily favored.  Sellers have to handle things very carefully and can still get that bad buyer who knows the 'money back guarantee' and will abuse it to try and scam the seller.

Message 5 of 55
latest reply

@dakbat-61 wrote:

What will happen if a new buyer buys from a new seller and a dispute occurs between them and a case is opened with whom does eBay stand in this case, since both parties do not have any reputation on the site and both of them have zero feedback?

Is this dispute related to your last thread @dakbat-61 ? Are you asking as the buyer or the seller in this situation?

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 6 of 55
latest reply

story will be the same  no matter how many times a day a question is asked.

Message 7 of 55
latest reply

no this is already closed i asked buyer to keep the item and i refunded them same day 
i didn't know that this is not allowed and never done again 

Message 8 of 55
latest reply

I'm confused - what's not allowed? Are you referring to creating multiple threads? Generally speaking that's allowed when they're about different topics. Mods tend to delete or merge duplicate threads on the same topic / transaction.

If you already refunded the buyer and the dispute is closed then there is nobody for eBay to side with. You handled the transaction and it's done.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 9 of 55
latest reply

They thought you were asking about their OTHER-other return thread, the one from a few days ago where they were trying to figure out how to do a return as a drop shipper.  

Message 10 of 55
latest reply

@wastingtime101 wrote:

I'm confused - what's not allowed? Are you referring to creating multiple threads? Generally speaking that's allowed when they're about different topics.

I'd say 5 hypothetical "what if" posts in one day is a bit much, but I don't know if I'm allowed to say that.  

Message 11 of 55
latest reply

@dakbat-61 wrote:

no this is already closed i asked buyer to keep the item and i refunded them same day 
i didn't know that this is not allowed and never done again 

@wastingtime101 wrote:

I'm confused - what's not allowed?

@wastingtime101  - I believe @dakbat-61 is referring to retail arbitrage as what is not allowed. 

Reference this thread: 

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/i-listed-an-item-of-another-seller-someone-bought-from-me-now-...

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 12 of 55
latest reply

Thanks @albertabrightalberta @gurlcat - when I asked if it was about their last thread I was referring to the laptop one created today, not the German sneakers from last week.

GLORIOUS!

Message 13 of 55
latest reply

when you list an item which you don't have but you see it on another seller account you take photos and list it on your account for higher price when it sells you buy from seller to your buyer directly and get the difference as profit.

Message 14 of 55
latest reply

Makes no difference.  New or long time buyers and sellers are treated the same.

Message 15 of 55
latest reply