cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What documentation do I need to start an e-commerce business in Pennsylvania?

I'm planning on starting an eBay reseller business in Pennsylvania. I will likely source at least some goods from wholesalers. I won't have any employees. What licenses, permits, etc. should I have? Sole proprietorship? Business license? Seller's permit? Wholesale buyer? This is all new to me. 

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Re: What documentation do I need to start an e-commerce business in Pennsylvania?

You probably need to contact the appropriate department in the State of Pennsylvania.

The things you have mentioned are not generally required by eBay, but the State may want you to have some of them.  

A high percentage of eBay sellers are simply individuals selling things they have around the house and will not have any of the requirements you have listed here.  

PS:  When you state you want to be a "reseller", you don't mean your business plan includes drop shipping, do you?  

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Re: What documentation do I need to start an e-commerce business in Pennsylvania?

Depending on what you really want, it would be best to understand the laws where you live. They can be found on your government's website. If you do not want to figure it out, than hire an Attorney and a CPA. Every person has a unique financial situation and anyone starting a business needs to figure out what is the best route for themself. Many states offer small start-up business help in numerous ways. Best of luck to you in your adventures.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Make an appointment with SCORE. The Service Corps of Retired Executives offers free counseling. They will direct you to your state's Small Business Development Office. The SBDC conducts 1/2 day classes in my county 4 times a month. You go to room full of computers and people coach you how to register your business.

1) Get a vendors license so you can collect sales tax and remit it to the state. Even though eBay now collects and remits the tax, you need to do this anyway.
2) Register the business as a Corporation or LLC with the state. That will enable you to complete a Schedule C tax form to get the maximum number of deductions.
3) Operating as a sole proprietor means you forfeit most of the deductions.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

a sole proprietor of an internet based business does not need a business license in PA

I have a tax number for the state of PA but that does not mean I am a business

A tax number gives you the right to charge state tax and pay it.

there is lots of info on google about this

good luck

@miniaturesun 

Germantown proud Germantown strong
up the whiskey hickon
moving right along
Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Register the business as a Corporation or LLC with the state. That will enable you to complete a Schedule C tax form to get the maximum number of deductions.
3) Operating as a sole proprietor means you forfeit most of the deductions.

Disagree with the above:

I am not an LLC..........I use schedule C and get every deduction my accountant can find.........including computer/printer replacements, mileage, etc. 

However, I would advise consulting an accountant.......it will cost upfront, but will get you started the right way with info on taxes, permits, etc. 

Message 6 of 6
latest reply