cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What are the rules for my first listing?

Please reply me.

What are rules for my first listing. Because i don't sell anything at ebay before now.

Thank you!

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Re: What are the rules for my first listing?

A great starting point would be here> Selling basics

But seeing where you are posting from, a good first concern is how you are receiving payment.

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

It was so obvious you are possibly from Sri Lanka the split second I saw your screen name.  The zero at the end of the user name gave it away.

The question isn't whether they can get paid through other sources besides PP.  The question is how long will it take for the powers behind these fake accounts learn to capitalize the word 'I' every single time they type it?

The rule for your first listing is to sign up through ebay-U.K. instead of the American site because nobody in America is going to order stuff from China through any account from Sri Lanka.

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

@lakswijewa-0 wrote:

Please reply me.

What are rules for my first listing. Because i don't sell anything at ebay before now.

Thank you!

Not a rule, but an obviously good idea would be for you to be able to receive payment, which you can't. So the actual rules don't really matter.

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

@jayjaspersgarage 

These guys must have a way to receive funds.  I’d guess that they have a PayPal account tied to a bank outside of Sri Lanka, then they transfer to that account, then to a local account.  

still, seems like a tough process.  Most of these Sri Lankan sellers seem to have anemic sales and very low margins.  

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

Selling basics balanna

SD
Message 6 of 12
latest reply

Figure out how you are going to get paid, because the last we heard Sri Lankans cannot get paid through Paypal. (You can make payments through Paypal.)

After that, work on shipping. For most of the world that hardest part of selling online is shipping.

But for Sri Lanka, the hardest part is getting paid.

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

I'm pretty sure there is some sort of scam going on there, and these guys are the victims not the perps.

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

I'm pretty sure there is some sort of scam going on there, and these guys are the victims not the perps.

I haven’t followed this issue closely but see it often. Is there a post somewhere here that explains the uptick of so many people in Sri Lanka wanting to sell? I’m just curious.

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

I had the same curiosity. What i found was a popular YouTuber espousing the benefits of eBay to his fellow Sri Lankan countrymen. I watched a bit to see if there was scamming going on, but given it was not in English, that attempt was futile. What i did see was the guy selling materials on how to use eBay to drop ship from China. 

I don’t know if this particular YouTuber also advocated for setting up PayPal thru another country’s banking system to get around the payment problem. But that is how some of these new Sri Lankan sellers are managing the issue.

Hate to see it as i suspect it may not be entirely above board. As @femmefan1946 mentioned, i worry there is exploitation going on (newbies  paying for selling materials that cannot work.) But i don’t know.

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

You’re right about it not being above board.  It’s against PayPal policy to set up an account in a different country from where they reside.  When PayPal discovers it, they will freeze the account and they keep the money that has come in.  

And, eBay has been suspending accounts from Sri Lanka users who try to sell, because its against eBay policy to have a PayPal account in a different country from where your eBay account is registered.

And last, its against Sri Lanka banking laws to set up a PayPal account in a different country and try to transfer the funds into your Sri Lanka bank account.

GloryBells  • 
eBay Mentor Since 2008

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

How did I know you were from Sri Lanka?

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 12 of 12
latest reply