cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Webinterpret Promotion

Ebay is going to translate my items for France, Germany, etc.

I thought google translate was already doing that.

The promotion isn't valid if you're part of Ebay Global shipping.

I'm so confused...

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Webinterpret Promotion

@clu3 wrote:

What exactly do you think Google Translate is doing for your eBay listings?

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Webinterpret Promotion

Well, I thought that Google translate is translating the page.  That's what happens on my computer, when I select "translate".  Are you experiencing something different??

@luckythewinner wrote:

@clu3 wrote:

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Webinterpret Promotion

Avoid Webinterprit!!! Scam! Many headaches for months to come.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Webinterpret Promotion

If you are getting translation from google, it isn't costing anything - if you sign up with Webinterpret, you get to pay, a lot.  And, once you sign up, they don't seem to go away, without drastic measures.

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Webinterpret Promotion

@clu3 

Do not click on anything from Webinterpret.  Do a search on these boards and read what other posters have said about it...it is a disaster from what I've read.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Webinterpret Promotion

@luckythewinner wrote:

@clu3 wrote:

As seen in the Chrome browser, at least, you can right-click on any web page (not just eBay, but any web page), and you will see an option for "Translate to English." Very useful and works pretty well. Try it on any foreign-language page of your choosing. I had to resort to it just last week when navigating an INR case that had been filed on a Spanish-language eBay site.

Getting back to Webinterpret though: that was a major fiasco for eBay when it was first introduced, and I don't think it's gotten any better. People who clicked on the promotional ad expecting more information discovered that they had been signed up instead, and getting out of the program later ranged from difficult to impossible. For example, their supposed Help page, promising to lead users to an unsubscribe page, instead led them around in a circle back to the main page again. 

eBay eventually apologized for the mess (quoted here), but to this day it appears that they have been unable to get rid of Webinterpret entirely. Best to keep a safe distance; you can sell worldwide perfectly well without it. I do.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Webinterpret Promotion

Thanks so much for your detailed response (and link). 

This Webinterpret was offered as a promotion in an email message from Ebay.  Due to the translate option already available on browsers, it didn't immediately strike me as a very useful proposition.  Glad I asked here.

Thanks again!

@a_c_green wrote:

@luckythewinner wrote:

@clu3 wrote:

As seen in the Chrome browser, at least, you can right-click on any web page (not just eBay, but any web page), and you will see an option for "Translate to English." Very useful and works pretty well. Try it on any foreign-language page of your choosing. I had to resort to it just last week when navigating an INR case that had been filed on a Spanish-language eBay site.

Getting back to Webinterpret though: that was a major fiasco for eBay when it was first introduced, and I don't think it's gotten any better. People who clicked on the promotional ad expecting more information discovered that they had been signed up instead, and getting out of the program later ranged from difficult to impossible. For example, their supposed Help page, promising to lead users to an unsubscribe page, instead led them around in a circle back to the main page again. 

eBay eventually apologized for the mess (quoted here), but to this day it appears that they have been unable to get rid of Webinterpret entirely. Best to keep a safe distance; you can sell worldwide perfectly well without it. I do.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply