cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very Slow Sales

Hi!

I have been selling on eBay since 2020. I have been very blessed that it has kept me so busy in the past that I no longer needed to work out of the home.  In 2020, 2021, and even 2022, sales were relatively good. Some weeks I could even make over $1000 a week!  Now in 2023, sales suck! This last month I made just under $700 a month.  I am selling 2-3 items every few days, instead of 10-12 items a day. I even have more merchandise than I ever had before, yet I cannot get the sales I had just a year before. I have discounts and buy one get one 50% off but it has not really helped.  I am confident that this is due to this ridiculously horrible economy, and I hope for everyone's sake it will turn around.  Please tell me if it is just me, or if this is a common thing that happens when you sell on eBay. I noticed that Hobby Lobby looks like they are also struggling. I have never seen so many items on clearance after the season is over. They were trying to sell all the merchandise that they didn't sell to make room for the Halloween and Christmas items. 

Also, I have had more added fees that keep being taken out of my account for extra shipping costs and miscellaneous fees that I feel are ripping me off blind! I carefully weigh and measure everything I send off, and I notice that they keep adding shipping charges for underpayment through the USPS. I am barely selling anything and now the little I make, they are taking! I mail almost everything Priority Mail. Any advice would be great.

I believe we Sellers need to stick together!

Broke in Huntsville,

That's Jagged

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Very Slow Sales

It's the economy.  I started selling online in 1998 on Yahoo-when they had a selling site and then moved over here in around 2000 or so.  I had a few years I could not sell a 5 dollar item.  There really is nothing you can do.  I never depended on my income from Ebay- It was just a past time.  I no longer sell but I do keep a few things up to keep my name.

You may need to try and sell on other sites. I did that and it was okay. Nothing to brag about. 

But making 700 a month was a big deal for me. So if your are making much more congratulations.

Message 2 of 21
latest reply

Very Slow Sales

Hi, it is not just the economy.

You started your selling career at the beginning of the pandemic and then you rode the wave of burgeoning online sales for the duration. You experienced a charmed period of time unlike the usual history of sales made here. Now those buyers are lost back to brick & mortar and their regular buying patterns. Sadly, eBay did not (or was not able to) retain the new buyers who flocked here during the pandemic. So now it’s back to earth.

Message 3 of 21
latest reply

Very Slow Sales

@thatsjagged 

This is a common topic on this forum daily in multiples.  Hundreds if not thousands of posts citing slow or no sales.  I haven't had a sale on eBay in over a month, but had sales on other sites.  Lets keep a positive outlook for the holidays as they approach us.  Hang in there.  PS Very cute shop. 

Happy Selling

Message 4 of 21
latest reply

Very Slow Sales

Thank you so much! Here's hoping!!!

Message 5 of 21
latest reply

Very Slow Sales

As far as the USPS charges. Check your scale, for sure. That should not be happening on a regular basis.

If it weighs 2.01 pounds, it ships as 3 lbs.

If it measures 14.5 inches or 14.4 inches, it can go as 14 inches.  If it is 14.6 inches, it goes as 15 inches. 

USPS or eBay are not messing with you.

Posting ID
Message 6 of 21
latest reply

Very Slow Sales

After inconsistent but generally poor sales for the last 2 months we had a very good weekend!

Hopefully Labor Day weekend marked a turnaround going into the holidays.

Message 7 of 21
latest reply

Very Slow Sales

@thatsjagged 

I looked at some of your listings - you have such nice things, really adorable.  Much of it - holiday novelties, decorations, etc.  I would think your sales should start picking up.  Summer is  just ending now & people will start getting ready for Halloween soon, my favorite holiday!  🎃

@ckimodog is certainly right, this forum is inundated with posts - seems like on an hourly basis - about slow sales, no sales, etc.   I sell mainly book lots on a few accts. & while summer is always my slowest time, in the 20 yrs. I've been selling, this is the slowest I've ever seen it.  My sales are very sporadic. My busiest time is Jan/Feb. after Christmas.  Each category is different.

Many factors are at play here - not just any one thing - but the economy has to be a major contributor to this steep decline in sales.  Rent, gas, food ...  everything is astronomical now.

Yes, hang in there ... I feel hopeful that this will turn around.  Good luck to you ... and to all of us!!  😊

Message 8 of 21
latest reply

Very Slow Sales

So I have been selling on eBay since 1999.  A couple of things to try to help.  First I would just say that summers are almost always slower sales than fall and winter and spring.  As far as shipping goes, you have to make sure your measurements and weight are accurate.  This can be difficult if you don't have a box ready to go, which on some items I rarely have.  It's best to roughly estimate the box if that is the case and add 8-10 ounces at least to the weight to figure the box weight.  I also would suggest rounding up if it's like 3lbs 8 ounces round up to 4 lbs.

Keep it up, it's worth it.  If you find some items aren't selling like they used to try to branch out.  Here's to better sales!

Message 9 of 21
latest reply

Very Slow Sales

Consumers who spent online, local P/U, during the Pandemic era, on 'stuff', are now spending on 'experiences', dining out, & travel.

Message 10 of 21
latest reply

Very Slow Sales

Have you opted out of the Auto-pay ebay added in your buyer requirements?

If you're not aware, Ebay opted all sellers into the auto-pay w/o even letting them know. I would recommend turning off the requirement at the bottom of the page in the link below, but that's up to you. Many buyers are refusing to bid or make offers because of this.

https://www.ebay.com/bmgt/buyerrequirements

Screenshot 2023-08-28 at 00-03-07 Buyer Management eBay.png

Message 11 of 21
latest reply

Very Slow Sales

All the easy Covid money has stopped flying around now. People have gone back to being broke, or having to earn their money the hard way. So they are being very picky with what they buy. Many can only afford the necessities now in this economy. I had the worst month that I can ever remember on here, with only one sale in August! And I have ads scattered over all sorts of categories. I know Ebay has been experimenting with site changes this summer too.

Message 12 of 21
latest reply

Very Slow Sales

Spending is up and inflation is cooling, with the economy is steadily improving, though some struggles with greedflation (looking at you big oil), but you started when people were stuck purchasing everything online and that has changed.  We're having a plain old slow summer, as it has been since I've been doing this, and that's been over 20 years. Looking at your offerings, I'd say look for sales to start improving going into the late summer/early fall when people will be shopping for your unique items. Also I see you have a number of DVDs and DVD sales can be pretty slow anyway, though I usually sell all of mine when I have them to list.

Just keep going, stay active here - activity along with recency and relevancy of your items and listing quality all weigh in your favour in search.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 13 of 21
latest reply

Very Slow Sales

@thatsjagged wrote:

Hi!

I have been selling on eBay since 2020. I have been very blessed that it has kept me so busy in the past that I no longer needed to work out of the home.  In 2020, 2021, and even 2022, sales were relatively good. Some weeks I could even make over $1000 a week!  Now in 2023, sales suck! This last month I made just under $700 a month.  I am selling 2-3 items every few days, instead of 10-12 items a day. I even have more merchandise than I ever had before, yet I cannot get the sales I had just a year before. I have discounts and buy one get one 50% off but it has not really helped.  I am confident that this is due to this ridiculously horrible economy, and I hope for everyone's sake it will turn around.  Please tell me if it is just me, or if this is a common thing that happens when you sell on eBay. I noticed that Hobby Lobby looks like they are also struggling. I have never seen so many items on clearance after the season is over. They were trying to sell all the merchandise that they didn't sell to make room for the Halloween and Christmas items. 

Also, I have had more added fees that keep being taken out of my account for extra shipping costs and miscellaneous fees that I feel are ripping me off blind! I carefully weigh and measure everything I send off, and I notice that they keep adding shipping charges for underpayment through the USPS. I am barely selling anything and now the little I make, they are taking! I mail almost everything Priority Mail. Any advice would be great.

I believe we Sellers need to stick together!

Broke in Huntsville,

That's Jagged

I feel for you - been in your shoes - It's like getting married to a manipulative, gaslighter - everything goes fine during the honeymoon stage, but then things start going south - next thing you know, they have you right where they want you - desperate, but willing to do what it takes to keep the magic alive - Next thing you'll see is them "suggesting" you promote your listings at another 12% to 15% of the entire sale - happy ebaying everyone...

Message 14 of 21
latest reply

Very Slow Sales

@chapeau-noir wrote:

Just keep going, stay active here - activity along with recency and relevancy of your items and listing quality all weigh in your favour in search.

Probably not near as much as promoting your item at another 12% to 13% of the ENTIRE TRANSACTION though...

Message 15 of 21
latest reply