cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vero help

I received a message that my listing violated Vero policy but I don't know how. Furtermore I recieved the following message "Your listing was reported by the rights owner (below) because you have used the term ( JOHN DEERE ). When listing this product please do not use the term ( JOHN DEERE ) in your title, item specifics, images and/or description."  I don't understand how I am supposed to list products for John Deere equipment if I can't use the words John Deere. Here is the title of the removed listing "Crankshaft Pulley Compatible with John Deere 3020, 4000, 4020, 4230 R53031" Can anyone give me any advise?

Message 1 of 24
latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

Re: Vero help

@a-cut-above wrote:

Isn't that the whole reason for having to use the terms "compatable with", "for" and "fits"? I understand that I can't advertise an aftermarket product as a OEM product but the fact that I can't mention what the product fits is absurd.  

Genuine OEM John Deere doohickey part number 123-456789.

Fits all  2015-2022 John Deere model BD500 tractors.

THAT would not have been taken down.

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 16 of 24
latest reply

Of course. You are advertising an oem part. 

Message 17 of 24
latest reply

Is your non-OEM aftermarket part something that's "universally compatible" with any brands other than John Deere?

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 18 of 24
latest reply

The pulley is specific to John Deere models

Message 19 of 24
latest reply

Do not relist until this is resolved.

Your title may be ok, but what about the rest of your listing?  Your pictures, your description, etc.?  If there is anything there that could remotely be misleading as to what brand you are selling?  If so, you will have a problem.

Also there is a difference between a compatible part (aftermarket) and one that is a knock off of a patented item that is just being called a compatible.  So make sure this isn't your problem, although this sounds more like a trademark/copyright issue in how the JD name or logo is associated with your listing.

Contact JD as instructed, if they are upfront and honest, they will tell you what the problem is.  If you find their reply is obviously abusing the VeRO policy, comeback for more help.

Message 20 of 24
latest reply

thanks rfmtm. I'll contact Deere using their form to get more info. I've been getting a lot of opinions here but no facts.  I'm a little concerned that I may be opening myself up to further scrutiny so with my busiest month coming up I may wait a bit. After some research I can assure everyone that it is not illegal to use manufactures names in your listing if done correctly. I'm sure there was something in my listing that I must have let slip by. Unfortunately I don't know how to retrieve the listing now that it has been deleted so that I can review it.  

Message 21 of 24
latest reply

Yes you can certainly use the brand name for fitment of a item as long as there is no confusion about the manufacturer and no infringement of any rights.

If you still have the Item Number you might still find a cached copy with a Google search.  In the meantime try to remember what was in the description and photo.  Was there any other reference to JD of any kind?  Anything JD shown in the photo?  Any JD reference in the Item Specifics?  Did you use any UPC/ASIN,etc., number that was not yours?   Also note, ebay bots scan strings of characters and will flag any hidden unintentional words they may create.

If this is an item you regularly want to sell, then this is worth pursuing, but a single item sale probably isn't.

Hopefully you will hear back from JD within the time limit.  Otherwise come back for the next steps.

Message 22 of 24
latest reply

I see the OP is coming in for some undeserved flak for selling aftermarket parts.

Nonsensical VERO policies aside, I think it is important to maintain some perspective on this.  An aftermarket engine part is NOT a counterfeit, and John Deere's rights were NOT violated by the manufacture of said part.  John Deere is simply abusing VERO as one would unfortunately expect the green tractor people to do.   Remember this is the company that does not want farmers repairing their own tractors.   

Just because you build an engine or a tractor doesn't mean you are the only person allowed to make parts for that machine.  There is no right to be sole parts supplier, beyond the limited exclusive rights to supply any parts that might be covered by patent, and patents do not last forever.

The John Deere 3020 was last manufactured in 1972 and if there was ever anything patentable about its crankshaft pulley, which I doubt, that patent is long since expired.  So there is no legal or ethical reason why anyone could not, at this point, measure and reverse engineer a part, and supply aftermarket ones.  Aftermarket parts are not 'counterfeits' even if manufacturers like to make that claim.  

Let me say it again for the people in the back.  An aftermarket part is not a counterfeit. 

Let me say it one more time for the execs in the C-suite.  An aftermarket part is not a counterfeit. 

Message 23 of 24
latest reply

I sell a lot of JD parts on eBay, have over 100k items, all genuine JD and i took great care in making sure not to get on the radar, the only place where i ever mention the name other than in the title where all my listings state "New, Fits John Deere Part # XYZ123ABC" is in the item specifics where ebay requires a brand, and since 100% of all JD i sell are made by JD, i put in the brand "John Deere"

Thoughts on the listing?

Message 24 of 24
latest reply