cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vero help

I received a message that my listing violated Vero policy but I don't know how. Furtermore I recieved the following message "Your listing was reported by the rights owner (below) because you have used the term ( JOHN DEERE ). When listing this product please do not use the term ( JOHN DEERE ) in your title, item specifics, images and/or description."  I don't understand how I am supposed to list products for John Deere equipment if I can't use the words John Deere. Here is the title of the removed listing "Crankshaft Pulley Compatible with John Deere 3020, 4000, 4020, 4230 R53031" Can anyone give me any advise?

Message 1 of 24
latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

Vero help

Is the part an actual John Deere part or another brand that is compatible?

If it was not actual John Deere, then they don't want their name associated with it. 

Message 2 of 24
latest reply

Vero help

The official eBay policy on "compatible with" products:

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/listing-policies/search-browse-manipulation-policy?id=4243

"If the item is an accessory for or compatible with another item, "fits", "for" or "compatible with" should be stated before the name of the compatible item. However, "fits", "for" or "compatible with" is not allowed before the brand names of jewelry, clothing and accessories, or universally compatible items"

So ... if the pulley is compatible with a variety of brands (universally compatible) then you have no legs. If it's compatible exclusively with John Deere then I'd contact JD and fight the claim.

Because it's a VeRO claim, you have to fight it with the rights owner.

Info on VeRO claims: https://www.ebay.com/sellercenter/ebay-for-business/verified-rights-owner-program

Message 3 of 24
latest reply

Vero help

It is an aftermarket part so that I was careful to make sure I used "compatible with" in the title.  How in the world could you ever sell parts for John Deere, Chevrolet, Kawasaki or any other name brand if you are not allowed to use their name in your listing. If that is the case 90% of all ebay listings would be in violation. 

Message 4 of 24
latest reply

Vero help

Here's one of your listings: 155009543620

Here's a competitor's listing for the same product: 403799000686

Competitor does not mention John Deere, 52 sold.

Message 5 of 24
latest reply

Vero help

The key is in one word. You need to change the title from "Crankshaft Pulley Compatible with John Deere 3020, 4000, 4020, 4230 R53031" to "Crankshaft Pulley Compatible FOR John Deere 3020, 4000, 4020, 4230 R53031" You can also use "FITS" instead of FOR.

When creating titles and descriptions, whenever you say anything apart from "FOR XYZ Brand" or "FITS XYZ brand" it implies a direct relationship or authorized part. Hence the notice.

Message 6 of 24
latest reply

Vero help

When I search for parts online, I will stay away from anything that says "compatible".

That usually means it's not authentic/genuine/OEM.

(OEM=original equipment manufacturer)

When you say "compatible" you're basically saying it's counterfeit.

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 7 of 24
latest reply

Vero help

Not sure why you cannot understand why you do not know you violated John Deer's rights. It says right in what you wrote that you did.

Message 8 of 24
latest reply

Vero help

@a-cut-above wrote:

It is an aftermarket part so that I was careful to make sure I used "compatible with" in the title.  How in the world could you ever sell parts for John Deere, Chevrolet, Kawasaki or any other name brand if you are not allowed to use their name in your listing. If that is the case 90% of all ebay listings would be in violation. 

If you owed a company and was selling items for your product would you want anyone and everyone making parts and selling them under your name? China counterfeiting I should have known.

Message 9 of 24
latest reply

Vero help

Isn't that the whole reason for having to use the terms "compatable with", "for" and "fits"? I understand that I can't advertise an aftermarket product as a OEM product but the fact that I can't mention what the product fits is absurd.  

Message 10 of 24
latest reply

Vero help

I had a vero violation a couple years ago for not using the terms fits, for or compatible with so I edited all my listings. If I can't use brand names then what would a product be compatible with?

Message 11 of 24
latest reply

Vero help

I am not sure about parts that you are trying to sell, but in the USA it is against the law to counterfeit items.

Message 12 of 24
latest reply

Vero help

The parts are not counterfeit. They are aftermarket. BIG difference. If you buy a filter for your car from NAPA you are buying aftermarket not counterfeit.

Message 13 of 24
latest reply

Vero help

- Brand names cannot be used in listings if the product isn’t manufactured by, or compatible with, that brand. You may use "compatible with", "fits", or "for" before a brand name, if the item described is specifically designed to be compatible with the products of that brand

Message 14 of 24
latest reply

Vero help

compatible is the key word. Sorry u lose on this one. Try eliminating the JD and try fits 3020 etc. Maybe that works.

Message 15 of 24
latest reply