cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VeRo Unauthorized Item Policy - Request for Authentic Items

Without naming the company directly, I sold and completed two transactions for two LEGITIMATE AND AUTHENTIC DVDs. Some time passes.

This morning, I get my first ever "VeRO Unauthorized Item Policy" message. Said company is unhappy that I sold these DVDs apparently. I've NEVER heard of a rights holding company stopping the sale of used authentic DVDs before.

Has this happened to anyone else? Will the transactions be reversed? Did this company receive my personal information? What has happened to my account? Is there a list of companies that do this?

eBay customer service was not uniquely helpful to this matter. I know this community usually knows what's up.

Thanks to all who respond. 

Message 1 of 22
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: VeRo Unauthorized Item Policy - Request for Authentic Items

The VERO take-down is a notice to discontinue sale.  Just don't relist this DVD (whatever it is) again - your account won't be harmed as long as you do not relist, no one will contact you further.  Rosetta Stone does this as well as Beach Body, etc.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks

View Best Answer in original post

Message 21 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Ya first time hearing of something like this, how can that company stop anyone from selling DVD's they own? 

Was this actually a VERO from eBay or just someone contacting you stating you are violating a VERO? 

Message 2 of 22
latest reply

Said company is unhappy ....

@whattheneck 

The message actually said that?  Did you get an official Vero takedown notice, or just some sort of message? 

Message 3 of 22
latest reply

To clarify: This was an OFFICIAL VeRO mesage from eBay. 

Message 4 of 22
latest reply

I know - I don't think what this company did was legal. I think it violates a few laws. 

This was an official VeRO message from eBay.

Message 5 of 22
latest reply

Was there a copy of that message in the messages section of your my eBay page?  All legit messages will also be there.   Could just be a "scare" letter. 

Message 6 of 22
latest reply

I'm with @simba6 

sounds more like a scare letter and not an official Vero  

Message 7 of 22
latest reply

@whattheneck wrote:

Without naming the company directly, I sold and completed two transactions for two LEGITIMATE AND AUTHENTIC DVDs. Some time passes.

This morning, I get my first ever "VeRO Unauthorized Item Policy" message. Said company is unhappy that I sold these DVDs apparently. I've NEVER heard of a rights holding company stopping the sale of used authentic DVDs before.

Has this happened to anyone else? Will the transactions be reversed? Did this company receive my personal information? What has happened to my account? Is there a list of companies that do this?

eBay customer service was not uniquely helpful to this matter. I know this community usually knows what's up.

Thanks to all who respond. 

Policy

Verified Rights Owner (VeRO) policy | eBay

Participants

Verified Rights Owner Program (ebay.com)

-Lotz

Message 8 of 22
latest reply

To clarify: This was an OFFICIAL VeRO mesage from eBay. 

@whattheneck 

Have your items been removed from your sold list?

Message 9 of 22
latest reply

I can assure everyone this was a real VeRO message from eBay. Customer service acknowledged it and the request was made by the company. 

Message 10 of 22
latest reply

The VeRO profile page for the Motion Pictures Association of America suggests that it may not necessarily be a matter of authenticity that puts a listing in violation:

https://ir.ebaystatic.com/pictures/aw/pics/pdf/us/help/community/vpp/MPAA.pdf

Could the DVDs have been screening copies?  Are they out of print because of a copyright ownership change?  Without knowing what the listings in question are, you’re not going to get much in the way of insightful posts on this, but perhaps you’re just wanting to vent blindly?

Message 11 of 22
latest reply

How do you know they are authentic????

Message 12 of 22
latest reply

Okay, let's say it is a copyright change. Did this company get my personal info? Are they gonna sue me for $30~ to make a point?

Message 13 of 22
latest reply

My guess is they were workout dvds such as Beach Body etc.

These companies now take the stance that you don't actually OWN the dvds, you are only buying the rights to use them.

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 14 of 22
latest reply

Was it a movie or was it an exercise DVD, or something non movie?

"Those who enter the arena unarmed or unprepared are quickly dispatched."
Message 15 of 22
latest reply