cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VAT on fees? Since when did ebay become a tax collector?

numisnorway
Trailblazer

What is going on with this place?

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Sometime last year?  probably get a better answer on a European Board, as there is no Vat here.........  I remember some consternation about it either last year or earlier this year....... 

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Mail i got today... All of this bigbrother obey **bleep** is getting to me big time. I cant wait for alternatives to pop up and hopefully cryptocurrencies etc help revitalize the ecommerce business for the common man. This madness has got to end.

We are changing the way that we account for VAT on our fees. Starting 1 August 2018, Norwegian VAT of 25% will apply to all fees paid by eBay users residing in Norway.

Businesses registered for Norwegian VAT will not be affected by this change if you use your eBay account for business purposes and register your Norwegian VAT number with eBay by going to My eBay > Account > Site preferences > VAT exemption on eBay fees:

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Ah............what I'm remembering is when they put the Vat tax on the fees in Europe......at least I remember people posting about "what was the fee increase" and someone finally figured out it was the Vat tax being added......  guess we'll get those from Norway now......

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

They became a "tax collector " a year or two ago, when countries like the UK began forcing eBay to collect VAT like most other retailer in their country do. 

EBay did not do this out of the blue.

IMHO if you have an issue with Norway's VAT, you have an issue with Norway and not with eBay. 

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

YHO is wrong. I have a problem with both.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

VAT Value Added Tax... there's an oxymoron.  Government doesn't add value of any kind.  VAT is much more effective as a Sales Prevention Tax.

My favorite oxymoron is; Microsoft Works.

"Fly the Big Ones"
Message 7 of 8
latest reply

>>YHO is wrong. I have a problem with both.

Well then I have a problem with you. Ranting about something that is simply the laws of the land where you live, and eBay likely had no choice but to comply or be banned from doing business in your country.

You want eBay to lie on customs forms for you too?
Message 8 of 8
latest reply