cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using AI option for description

Does anyone use or have tried eBay's AI option for their description? I clicked on it a few times out of curiosity but to me it is a highly "fluffed" description based on the title and photos and maybe item specifics. It does not give a description of the condition of the item which I consider to be the most important part of the listing. Any thoughts from others?

Message 1 of 25
latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

"This is a must-have for any collector! Makes a fantastic gift!" No thanks. Humans should stick to writing these things. 

Message 2 of 25
latest reply

I used it once for an item which did not deserve a lot of effort. Since the condition does not belong in the description and has its own field, it is perfectly acceptable for it to be "a highly "fluffed" description based on the title and photos and maybe item specifics."

I would not use it for an item which I was going to be selling to a buyer who cares more about the item than I do.

Ebay has claimed it also relies on other listings for similar items, which means there may be factual errors.

Message 3 of 25
latest reply

AI seems incompetent.  I look elsewhere if a listing I'm interested in is AI generated.  It's as inappropriate using stock images for used products.  I want to read a description written by somebody who saw the item and held the item.  

Message 4 of 25
latest reply

It does not give a description of the condition of the item which I consider to be the most important part of the listing.

@amxjewel 

I have seen some with a "condition statement" that is drawn from the title or specifics, but they are often overshadowed by the "fluff" as you say with such statements of "guaranteed conversation starter, brings joy to your whole family, must have for your collection"  yada yada.  It is miserable to have to read through all that stuff to find out there is no condition statement.   

I live alone, and rarely converse with my pet fish, nor will anything I buy bring joy to them.  I don't collect either.  LOL...

Message 5 of 25
latest reply

You may want to consider templates instead.  Just like many new time-saving ideas, there will always be a down-side. In this case, AI descriptions are filled with fluff. They sound more like a scripted, hyper-sweetened sales pitch, which will unrealistically elevate buyer expectations. This leaves the door wide open for INAD's, returns, defects and negative feedback. 

Message 6 of 25
latest reply

Yes, pure garbage just pulling words from your title, description, and item specifics. Then jumbling them together where it often means nothing.

If I see an AI generated listing I just look elsewhere. I won't buy from a listing that is made up.

Message 7 of 25
latest reply

Any thoughts from others?

@amxjewel 

Boy, what a great forum question! It looks like I'm also on 'Team AIn't' with all these other fine folks! 😊

Message 8 of 25
latest reply

This has been discussed quite a bit.  The answers in those threads are much like the answers here.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 9 of 25
latest reply

I actually tried it a few times, but didn't keep what it said. I am the kind of person that likes to do my own  listings. I am a small seller that can afford to do that.  I am sure it helps the sellers that sell al ot. Thanks for asking this question. I was curious too on what others thought about it. 

Message 10 of 25
latest reply

@chapeau-noir wrote:

This has been discussed quite a bit.  The answers in those threads are much like the answers here.

Does it really matter how many times it's discussed? Believe it or not, not everyone lives on this board every day, nor do they keep score how many times it was asked before. They just want to ask a question.

Message 11 of 25
latest reply

It's not for me, but a lot of people are using it. As a buyer, I find it no worse than some human generated descriptions, and if I'm really interested in something and the listing doesn't answer a question I have, I'll message the seller.

As long as it remains optional, I'm quite content to ignore it.

Message 12 of 25
latest reply

I wanted to see the opinions of other sellers. I do not and do not plan to use AI for my descriptions. I have tried it for a few listings to see what the description would be but rejected it because it was fluff and did not actually describe my item. Agree with the others that it is a waste and a gimmick.

Message 13 of 25
latest reply

The only thing it did for me was demonstrate what an AI-generated blurb would look like so now I recognize it elsewhere. 

One AI feature out there is actually kind of useful. It's on Amazon listings where it summarizes reviews. Though of course reviews on Amazon have issues due to fake reviews.

Message 14 of 25
latest reply

@keziak wrote:

The only thing it did for me was demonstrate what an AI-generated blurb would look like so now I recognize it elsewhere. 

One AI feature out there is actually kind of useful. It's on Amazon listings where it summarizes reviews. Though of course reviews on Amazon have issues due to fake reviews.

Though some people are brutally honest.

Screenshot 2024-05-04 175804.jpg

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 15 of 25
latest reply