cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updates are happening to some item specifics and category structures

--Final Update, October 28--

The category changes announced in our Fall Seller Update have been completed.

Now that all category changes are complete, while you might still see some adjustments to searches, it is okay to update or edit your listings without concerns of losing data or having it moved again. 

We appreciate your feedback on this roll-out. We'll continue to adjust the process based on the input we’ve received here, and we'll take all of these suggestions into consideration for future updates.

As this project is now complete the post is being locked from further comments. 

Resources and observations

We’ve heard from you that updating your Item Specifics in time for the February 2022 requirement date may be a challenge. 

A useful tool that may help is located in the Seller Hub under Listing>Active. There is a drop-down box labeled ‘Download’ which will generate an Excel document for ‘Missing Required or Recommended Item Specifics’. You can read more about this tool here.

Should you come across any inaccuracies within the new Item Specifics we ask that you report those directly to sdsupport@ebay.com so our team can investigate. Outside of that, please share suggestions as to changes you'd like to see going forward here, selecting the Categories and Item Specifics option.

---Update as of October 19th---

We apologize for this delayed update. Thank you for your patience while our teams worked to finalize category changes. 

All listings have been moved to their final destination categories. You may now proceed with checking your categories, revising items, and updating item specifics where needed. 

Some item specifics have been renamed, and the value you originally provided has been copied over to the new item specific, so you don’t need to re-add these item specifics. We encourage you to update your listings with item specifics that are showing as “Required Soon.” These will become required on February 22, 2022. 

All other item specifics are either Recommended or Optional. Learn more about item specifics. 

Some categories were retired and replaced by product-based categories. You and your buyers can still find the items you’re looking for. Simply browse to the product category of your choice and use the filters to refine your search.

More information about key category changes:

• Dolls & Bears. The categories based on Brand/Material/Theme/Character/Franchise/Product Line/Type of doll have been retired. Former categories have been replaced by left-hand navigation filters in the new Dolls & Doll Playsets category. You can access the filters by browsing to the product category of your choice and using Brand/Vintage/Material/Theme/Character/Franchise/Product Line/Type filters to refine your search. 

• Pottery & Glass. The categories based on Brand/Origin/Production Style/Production Technique have also been replaced by filters. You and buyers can now filter by the Brand/Origin/Production Style/Production Technique/Time Period Manufactured.

• Postcards. The categories based on Location/Theme/Subject have been retired and replaced with two main categories for Topographical and Non-Topographical postcards. The former categories have been replaced by left-hand navigation filters in the two new main categories. For example in Topographical Postcards, you can filter by Country and Region.

• Jewelry & Watches. The categories based on Main Stone and Metal Type have been retired and replaced by product-based categories under Fine Jewelry. Use the filters for Main Stone and Metal to refine your search. 

---Update as of October 14th---
The work continues on this move and is progressing according to plan. We are on track and anticipate all category changes for your listings to be complete by end of day tomorrow (10.15). Thank you for your patience while our teams implement these changes.

---Update as of October 13th---

We continue to work through this change and thank you for your patience as our teams work through it. We wanted to provide answers to some top concerns and questions:

Why are Gallery Plus fees being charged for items that were previously free?

We determined that a technical issue impacted a small number of listings, which resulted in incorrect charges (including Gallery Plus, subtitles, and insertion fees) for some sellers. The issue has been fixed and we will be crediting impacted sellers as quickly as possible. No calls to Customer Service are necessary as credits will be issued automatically.

The eBay Standard Envelope shipping option is grayed out and I can’t select it. When will the issue be resolved?

The eBay Standard Envelope shipping option issue resulted from the category changes update and has been resolved. eBay Standard Envelope is now available in applicable categories if your item meets the established criteria. 

Should I edit my listings if they’re in the wrong category, have been moved to another category, or have wrong or missing item specifics?

No. Recent category changes require updates to many thousands of servers and data changes to nearly every aspect of our platform. This level of adjustment takes time, which is why we asked for your patience while the process runs. We expect most data updates to be completed within 48 hours, but can they take up to a week (i.e., through Oct. 19). After that, if you have an item specific in mind that you think would work well for your listing, please consider adding it as a custom item specific.

Why isn’t my item coming up in search?

The category change update is still in process. We anticipate search issues will resolve when we complete most data updates during the next 24-48 hours. 

There are more item specifics now than ever before. Do I need to fill in all of them?

No. Item specifics that you have already filled in will be maintained as the category moves are completed during the next week. In addition, new soon-to-be-required item specifics are being added and will become required by Feb 22, 2022. As always, the more item specifics you fill out, the better visibility your listing has to buyers. 

For Parts & Accessories, when will fitment/compatibility charts start working again?

There was an issue with parts compatibility not working properly as the category changes rolled out that has been resolved. You should now be able to see the options to add fitment compatibility when editing your listings.

-----------------------------------------------------------

We’re updating some of our categories and item specifics to make your listings easier to find. 

Starting October 12th, you’ll see updates to the following categories. Learn more about category changes →

Collectibles & Art

Jewelry

Musical Instruments

Parts & Accessories

Sporting Goods

As these updates go into effect, you may see temporary impacts to your listing experience or to the visibility of listings in the affected categories.

This is a result of listings transitioning to the updated item specifics and category structures. Your affected listings should return to normal within 48 hours, though you may see irregularities on some listings for up to a week. We recommend checking your item specifics and categories in affected listings after these updates are complete.

These updates also include new item specifics in the above categories, which will be required February 22, 2022. Starting today, these item specifics will be available as you list, with the “Required Soon” tag. Learn more →

Keep an eye on this page over the coming days—we’ll be sharing up-to-date information on affected categories and listings, and answering any questions you have. 

Message 1 of 1,171
latest reply
1,170 REPLIES 1,170

Re: Updates are happening to some item specifics and category structures

Same for me. Listed 50 items and found 1 two days latter. used their drop down menus and found 4 more. Looks like they need to retrain the buyers to shop for items. All the pottery and glassware category's are also item specifics! Looking at listings from other sellers I found Vases in dinner plates, plates, bowls, vases and cups & saucers. Their is no rime or reason for a listing anymore.

They have been pushing item specifics for a while now and that is fine BUT messing up the category's was foolish. 

They also pushed free shipping and less that 15% now use that. 

PLEASE TALK to sellers first.

Message 1126 of 1,171
latest reply

I am phasing out Free Shipping from my listings. I offer Best Offer, & the Free Shipping people offer less than what it would cost to ship. Somewhere along the line, eBay dropped many of my Decline Offers Below thresholds. So I deal with this from time to time. Interesting about the BBB. I think I will look into filing a complaint. Also interesting is the fact that we have gotten no updates from eBay on this thread since 10-19. Out items have not been moved to the correct categories, eBay wants us to waste time on more item specifics when they were already in the listings, & our Gallery Plus fees have not been refunded. And may I add that a supervisor was guaranteed to call me back yesterday? Guess what? No one called!

Message 1127 of 1,171
latest reply

Did you receive the email about the Gallery Plus error?  The same day I got that, I looked at my payout summary and saw the fee credit.  I never received any notice of how much I would get, but mine was only one item.  Oddly enough, I wasn't charged any fees on my larger selling ID, this was on a small one I'm working to close out.

Message 1128 of 1,171
latest reply

As of today, 10/26/21, eBay has gone and changed the eBay Store. Any links you had on FB or wherever lead to one section only, because the address changed. But, you can still see the other sections (for me, it's 19th century paintings, prints and multiples, photography, etc.) on the left side. If you try to go to some sort of eBay Store home-page, they've cut off the writing at the top, there are no categories, the banner photo has blur added to both sides, etc. Devastating just got worse. What a sh*tshow. Thanks eBay. 

Message 1129 of 1,171
latest reply

In addition, as of today (10/26/2021), when you search by seller in advanced search, nothing comes up. It's like the seller, who you know, and has hundreds of items for sale, has nothing. So, if we can't search by seller, date of creation, category such as 'Prints', etc., how can we find anything? This is just insane. What's going on? ~Chris Smith

Message 1130 of 1,171
latest reply

You kinda get the feeling that we all hit an iceberg a coupla weeks ago, and that our ship has been s-l-o-w-l-y sinking ever since?

Unfortunately, all the lifeboats left long ago -- filled to the gunwales with eBay employees and stockholders.

Cue "My Heart Will Go On". . .

Message 1131 of 1,171
latest reply

I think this all by design that no updates have appeared. And likely won't. I also find it strange that the elimination of feedback scores and the ability to see other seller's listings on this board just happened to run concurrently. This way, we're not able to see the carnage happening to other seller's accounts due to the category debacle. Just a thought.

Message 1132 of 1,171
latest reply

The “old” detailed/precise categories always are one of the main asset/spirit of eBay which allows “Buyers can find almost everything in eBay” but now some “Genius" invented Category Change(CC) to kill it, this a true diaster, totally insane.

The fact is - Now much lesser search result has been shown up, definitely buyers can not find their favourite items precisely anymore. This is one of the REAL REASON FOR NO VIEWS & NO SALES!!!

I used to be a power seller but now my store is like “invisible, dead” again, almost no enquiry/bargain/offers emails, no sales, page view also drops sharply even if it is a hot item, now my traffic data are all red red red…

Hope eBay will face the truth - the CC is AFFECTING BOTH SELLER AND BUYERS SERIOUSLY, IT REALLY KILL SALES.

Message 1133 of 1,171
latest reply

Will they roll it back to the search that worked better, if not actually well?  Uhmmm, anyone want to buy a slightly used bridge in Brooklyn?  

She who dies with the most toys still dies; when's the estate sale?
Message 1134 of 1,171
latest reply

Does anyone know if ebay still has a representative on the board of the BBB in their area?  Some time back it had been mentioned that they had one present.  I wonder what their BBB rating is now?

Ebay, Inc. (San Jose BBB)

Current customer rating 1.08/5 - Current Rating and Accreditation - A+

Never mind, think I just answered my question.  Guess their dues are paid up-to-date.

https://www.bbb.org/us/ca/san-jose/profile/online-shopping/ebay-inc-1216-204015 

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 1135 of 1,171
latest reply

@hobbykollectibles wrote:

The “old” detailed/precise categories always are one of the main asset/spirit of eBay which allows “Buyers can find almost everything in eBay” but now some “Genius" invented Category Change(CC) to kill it, this a true diaster, totally insane.

The fact is - Now much lesser search result has been shown up, definitely buyers can not find their favourite items precisely anymore. This is one of the REAL REASON FOR NO VIEWS & NO SALES!!!

I used to be a power seller but now my store is like “invisible, dead” again, almost no enquiry/bargain/offers emails, no sales, page view also drops sharply even if it is a hot item, now my traffic data are all red red red…

Hope eBay will face the truth - the CC is AFFECTING BOTH SELLER AND BUYERS SERIOUSLY, IT REALLY KILL SALES.

I know. Here is a search example with this mess.  I searched for a - Nancy Ann Storybook Baby - ; prior to the changes, this would have ONLY turned up the Baby Nancy Ann Storybook dolls, maybe about 10 or 20 maximum. Now? You get 245 results, the vast majority of them just Nancy Ann Storybook Dolls, NOT the baby variety.   You can’t use Nancy Ann Storybook + Baby; doesn’t work. You CAN do “Nancy Ann Storybook Baby” but that only turns up the items where the words show up together in the title, not separate, so all listings don’t turn up. 

So, to summarize, for those of us selling unique items, where there are very few on eBay:

—you can no longer browse categories, so a buyer interested in your area of collecting, but not coming to eBay specifically for your item, will not see your unique items AND

—if you ARE coming to eBay to purchase a unique item, eBay’s lousy search will bury those items in irrelevant other items.

I’d like to know if eBay will at least fix search.

Message 1136 of 1,171
latest reply

My friend just bought a #3 Barbie for $300 on auction because nobody viewed the auction. Unheard of.

Message 1137 of 1,171
latest reply

I'm having serious problems with "Item Specifics", unsure if this is only Android Mobile related.  All of my category change item required me to complete "Bundle Description" regardless of "Bundle" being answered NO or not at all.  I have a ton of Vintage items, also some Antique....I always fill out "Time Period" but it is also requiring the "Year Manufactured" and more often than not, it is impossible to pinpoint.  This is in addition to SO many lines completely unrelated to my type of item.  I literally just sat & cried from frustration.  Am I the only one?  Is this just an Android Mobile App issue?  I also listed similar post there.  Thank you,

Crystal 

Message 1138 of 1,171
latest reply

When you say "require".........do you mean it won't let you list without filling those things in?

There is a difference between "required" and recommended........from what I've listed.....the bundle/yr/ may be under recommended, but aren't required.  Usually only 2-3 actually required, the recommends that don't apply should be left blank.  Since the new requireds aren't required until Feb.  you should be able to list anything (in the recently changed categories), even without them.

That is predicted on using a pc........don't use the phone, but there shouldn't be different "requireds" on it. 

Message 1139 of 1,171
latest reply

@ripevel2007 wrote:

I'm having serious problems with "Item Specifics", unsure if this is only Android Mobile related.  All of my category change item required me to complete "Bundle Description" regardless of "Bundle" being answered NO or not at all.  I have a ton of Vintage items, also some Antique....I always fill out "Time Period" but it is also requiring the "Year Manufactured" and more often than not, it is impossible to pinpoint.  This is in addition to SO many lines completely unrelated to my type of item.  I literally just sat & cried from frustration.  Am I the only one?  Is this just an Android Mobile App issue?  I also listed similar post there.  Thank you,

Crystal 

@dhbookds 

I used to routinely see the bundle specific. Now the field seems to have mostly poofed. For any sellers selling in lots it was very useful and much easier than trying to fill in blanks especially with mixed item listings. I do all my listings on a pc. The available options should mirror between pc and app but as with most features there is limited consistency. 

It would be nice if that do not show again tab was included on the listing vs just using the tool. Probably wishful thinking on my part.

-Lotz

Message 1140 of 1,171
latest reply