cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updates are happening to some item specifics and category structures

--Final Update, October 28--

The category changes announced in our Fall Seller Update have been completed.

Now that all category changes are complete, while you might still see some adjustments to searches, it is okay to update or edit your listings without concerns of losing data or having it moved again. 

We appreciate your feedback on this roll-out. We'll continue to adjust the process based on the input we’ve received here, and we'll take all of these suggestions into consideration for future updates.

As this project is now complete the post is being locked from further comments. 

Resources and observations

We’ve heard from you that updating your Item Specifics in time for the February 2022 requirement date may be a challenge. 

A useful tool that may help is located in the Seller Hub under Listing>Active. There is a drop-down box labeled ‘Download’ which will generate an Excel document for ‘Missing Required or Recommended Item Specifics’. You can read more about this tool here.

Should you come across any inaccuracies within the new Item Specifics we ask that you report those directly to sdsupport@ebay.com so our team can investigate. Outside of that, please share suggestions as to changes you'd like to see going forward here, selecting the Categories and Item Specifics option.

---Update as of October 19th---

We apologize for this delayed update. Thank you for your patience while our teams worked to finalize category changes. 

All listings have been moved to their final destination categories. You may now proceed with checking your categories, revising items, and updating item specifics where needed. 

Some item specifics have been renamed, and the value you originally provided has been copied over to the new item specific, so you don’t need to re-add these item specifics. We encourage you to update your listings with item specifics that are showing as “Required Soon.” These will become required on February 22, 2022. 

All other item specifics are either Recommended or Optional. Learn more about item specifics. 

Some categories were retired and replaced by product-based categories. You and your buyers can still find the items you’re looking for. Simply browse to the product category of your choice and use the filters to refine your search.

More information about key category changes:

• Dolls & Bears. The categories based on Brand/Material/Theme/Character/Franchise/Product Line/Type of doll have been retired. Former categories have been replaced by left-hand navigation filters in the new Dolls & Doll Playsets category. You can access the filters by browsing to the product category of your choice and using Brand/Vintage/Material/Theme/Character/Franchise/Product Line/Type filters to refine your search. 

• Pottery & Glass. The categories based on Brand/Origin/Production Style/Production Technique have also been replaced by filters. You and buyers can now filter by the Brand/Origin/Production Style/Production Technique/Time Period Manufactured.

• Postcards. The categories based on Location/Theme/Subject have been retired and replaced with two main categories for Topographical and Non-Topographical postcards. The former categories have been replaced by left-hand navigation filters in the two new main categories. For example in Topographical Postcards, you can filter by Country and Region.

• Jewelry & Watches. The categories based on Main Stone and Metal Type have been retired and replaced by product-based categories under Fine Jewelry. Use the filters for Main Stone and Metal to refine your search. 

---Update as of October 14th---
The work continues on this move and is progressing according to plan. We are on track and anticipate all category changes for your listings to be complete by end of day tomorrow (10.15). Thank you for your patience while our teams implement these changes.

---Update as of October 13th---

We continue to work through this change and thank you for your patience as our teams work through it. We wanted to provide answers to some top concerns and questions:

Why are Gallery Plus fees being charged for items that were previously free?

We determined that a technical issue impacted a small number of listings, which resulted in incorrect charges (including Gallery Plus, subtitles, and insertion fees) for some sellers. The issue has been fixed and we will be crediting impacted sellers as quickly as possible. No calls to Customer Service are necessary as credits will be issued automatically.

The eBay Standard Envelope shipping option is grayed out and I can’t select it. When will the issue be resolved?

The eBay Standard Envelope shipping option issue resulted from the category changes update and has been resolved. eBay Standard Envelope is now available in applicable categories if your item meets the established criteria. 

Should I edit my listings if they’re in the wrong category, have been moved to another category, or have wrong or missing item specifics?

No. Recent category changes require updates to many thousands of servers and data changes to nearly every aspect of our platform. This level of adjustment takes time, which is why we asked for your patience while the process runs. We expect most data updates to be completed within 48 hours, but can they take up to a week (i.e., through Oct. 19). After that, if you have an item specific in mind that you think would work well for your listing, please consider adding it as a custom item specific.

Why isn’t my item coming up in search?

The category change update is still in process. We anticipate search issues will resolve when we complete most data updates during the next 24-48 hours. 

There are more item specifics now than ever before. Do I need to fill in all of them?

No. Item specifics that you have already filled in will be maintained as the category moves are completed during the next week. In addition, new soon-to-be-required item specifics are being added and will become required by Feb 22, 2022. As always, the more item specifics you fill out, the better visibility your listing has to buyers. 

For Parts & Accessories, when will fitment/compatibility charts start working again?

There was an issue with parts compatibility not working properly as the category changes rolled out that has been resolved. You should now be able to see the options to add fitment compatibility when editing your listings.

-----------------------------------------------------------

We’re updating some of our categories and item specifics to make your listings easier to find. 

Starting October 12th, you’ll see updates to the following categories. Learn more about category changes →

Collectibles & Art

Jewelry

Musical Instruments

Parts & Accessories

Sporting Goods

As these updates go into effect, you may see temporary impacts to your listing experience or to the visibility of listings in the affected categories.

This is a result of listings transitioning to the updated item specifics and category structures. Your affected listings should return to normal within 48 hours, though you may see irregularities on some listings for up to a week. We recommend checking your item specifics and categories in affected listings after these updates are complete.

These updates also include new item specifics in the above categories, which will be required February 22, 2022. Starting today, these item specifics will be available as you list, with the “Required Soon” tag. Learn more →

Keep an eye on this page over the coming days—we’ll be sharing up-to-date information on affected categories and listings, and answering any questions you have. 

Message 1 of 1,171
latest reply
1,170 REPLIES 1,170

Re: Updates are happening to some item specifics and category structures

@dhbookds 

Still not available for me:

Screenshot_20211020-173423_eBay.jpg

 Not when listing, initially, however I did sell an inexpensive postcard yesterday and it was available when printing my label

Message 946 of 1,171
latest reply

I haven't done an actual listing  (no postcard, lol) but using either flat or calculated, with postcard.. as category, I get this:

Screenshot (199).png

Message 947 of 1,171
latest reply

That does seem to work. Good thinking! Thank you. It's just that I'm guessing most buyers wouldn't think to do that, especially people new to eBay that didn't know the date ranges that we know.  Whew! What a scene.

Message 948 of 1,171
latest reply

Is there any chance that this mess will be reversed and the doll categories be reinstated? Just to test this I put in the name of a vintage doll and came up with over 2000 auctions most of which were not dolls at all.  I have been part of eBay since almost the very beginning and remember helping come up with these categories that you just wiped out. It is leaving us who sell dolls for a living without the ability to sell our dolls. I am sure it is very similar in the other categories that were changed without even discussing it with sellers. I'm not sure who this benefits but I would love to know because it is certainly not those of us who have been loyal sellers for well over 20 years. Please help. Kathleen 

Message 949 of 1,171
latest reply

Bluntly....no I don't think they will change it........they haven't for the categories that have gone thru this before.....  But, neither do I think doll buyers will abandon the site.....some will probably gripe, hem and haw, but they will devleop their own new searches when the old ones don't work.    Don't assume the worst...if you've been here 20 yrs, you've been thru alot of changes successfully......just do your best to make the listings as good as you can make them........

Message 950 of 1,171
latest reply

Screen Shot 2021-10-20 at 6.49.50 PM.png

Today's mess: I search for Antique Wood Doll with specifics turned on. I get a composition doll, a 1970s doll, and Barbie pencils.

Thanks eBay.

Not the same as other "updates" we've survived. I've never complained about an update since 1999. This isn't change, this is destruction. I've sold one thing all week so, no, not everyone will survive this.

I also haven't bought anything because I don't have time to scroll by 500 porcelain dolls and 1980s barbies.

Message 951 of 1,171
latest reply

YES A MESS!! I just checked my Miniature 10 Piece Porcelain Doll House Tea Set to see where it was and EBAY put it in ART SCULPTURES! So I switched the tea set to DOLLS-TABLEWARE AND ACCESSORIES and went to submit AFTER FILLING OUT all NEW Item Specifics and I get a RED ERROR MESSAGE saying I need to ENTER A CONDITION in the CONDITION FIELD. But Low and Behold I CAN'T ENTER A CONDITION BECAUSE THERE IS NO FIELD FOR CONDITION!!! So now I cant list this item where it Semi Belongs. So my options are let it sit in UNSOLDS or keep it in ART SCULPTURES! Give US ALL A FREAKIN BREAK!

Message 952 of 1,171
latest reply

eBay---If you want to add irrelevant specifics for antique dealers, why can't you also have antique categories? Why are the two mutually exclusive? Why can't there be an Antique & Vintage Category anymore within a chosen collectible? I don't understand you digging your heels in this.

2004. You waited 2 weeks to change the categories back because sales tanked. I know you have the power to do it. 

The thing is, if your heart is so set on these weird bot specifics, why does it have to be either or?

Message 953 of 1,171
latest reply

Call CS and let them know. They are keeping tallies of the doll and other category fiasco calls from sellers. It is important that as many of us as possible call to let them know. I gave example after example of the problem to the CS rep and she said they are tracking these calls and that they are being “escalated” up. Whether they do anything or not is another matter, but at least they are tracking them, so please call!

Message 954 of 1,171
latest reply

I have almost 40 years in software development - decades in retail. NO reputable retail company makes NON Emergency software changes in Q4. NONE. It is mind boggling that after years of sellers complaining about this that ebay doesn't learn, continues to roll out buggy releases, violating basic industry best practices. Here is an example - ebay moved my Build-A-Bear OWL to the new Dolls & Bears category. A plush Owl is NOT a bear. If you search "Plush Owl" - guess what? Ebay automatically sets the category to Toys & Hobbies/Stuffed animals (of course most buyers will never notice that ebay choose a category without their knowledge or ask).  And of course, my Owl will not be the result set since ebay placed it in the wrong category. In addition - there was ZERO buyer notification. Buyers have broken saved searches, cannot execute searches that they have used for years and do not know the new categories. The complaints are not about change per se, it is about the huge number of errors and bugs, delivered in Q4. Ebay also needs to improve communication - we should not have to hunt and peck on Community to find a status. Statuses should be provided in Messages and Announcements.  I can go on - 40 years of IT and project management experience implementing and managing global software systems has me dumbfounded. Please listen to your users - the people who produce your revenue -  and drop the defense. 

Message 955 of 1,171
latest reply

Hi, here is a german antique doll collector. I bought often in USA, and sometimes in UK. But this is impossible now.

I can´t find anything. In UK and Germany are the same post...it is horrible. Nowbody can buy, nowbody can sell, nobody can find what he is looking for. In so many categories like antique Glas, modell-trains, dolls, postcards, paintings, jewellery and a few more...........very sad...

And no comment from ebay to this many, many posts!!!!!! So I ´m not sure. Is this the "quiet" way to kick us out, to built ebay new for other sellers (electronic....and so on?)

We will see....

I have no hope, that the old categories will come back.

Feel with you! And this is only my hobby, not my business!

Message 956 of 1,171
latest reply

This is how well the item specifics work when looking for postcards . I went to the made up category of Topographical postcards , bought and sold cards for 20 years never heard these terms used for postcards,  clicked on North America then Pennsylvania . then looked for highest first and this is what I came up with . Check out the results 75% aren't postcards probably 25% have nothing to do with PA. https://www.ebay.com/sch/262042/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=postcard&Continent=North%2520America&Region=Pe...

Message 957 of 1,171
latest reply

thanks ebay community❤️

Message 958 of 1,171
latest reply

Yes, but look on the bright side - you wouldn't run out of things to look at and read for a looong time.

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 959 of 1,171
latest reply

egnatz1

you are right - what a mess in postcards.

Now I also know where to find a spittoon and a parking meter.😀

Message 960 of 1,171
latest reply