cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unclaimed and returned to the sender. What should i do on this case?

What should i do on this case if the buyer didn´t claimed his package? I contacted him two times and he never answered me. Now his package is being returned to me.  Can i deny the refund if he opens a case or Ebay will side with him? 

Mon, May 6
4:28pm
UNCLAIMED/BEING RETURNED TO SENDER
WOOD RIVER, IL 62095

Mon, Apr 15
3:45pm
NO AUTHORIZED RECIPIENT AVAILABLE
WOOD RIVER, IL 62095

What should i do on this case if the buyer didn´t claimed his package? I contacted him two times and he never answered me. Now his package is being returned to me
Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Re: Unclaimed and returned to the sender. What should i do on this case?

@comicscauldron 

Actually, if you are getting your item back, you could refund it, or at least the item's cost minus the original shipping, then block the buyer so they don't buy from you again.

Not sure why you think you should get your item back and keep the funds???  You can always relist and sell it again anyway...   Just saying.

Gator08041971  •  Volunteer Community Mentor 2024
Member of eBay since 2000

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Maybe because i value my time and work ? Just saying...

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

I've has this happen a few times , I WAIT , i do not give a refund unless they ask , and if they still want the item i explain that it will cost more to ship it again . Never had a problem , no need to block unless they get weird ..

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

@comicscauldron 

Although ebay policy doesn't require you to issue a refund in a case such as this, an honorable and ethical seller will issue a refund to the buyer after deducting any costs incurred. 

It's not right that you should keep the item and the money and doesn't reflect well on you that you'd think it's okay. 

Once you get the item back, all you've lost is a bit of time in having the item off the market. Relist and it'll sell again.

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Wait until package is returned...there is usually something in writing or a statement on it stating more information.

Google the address to see if it is a house, office or something.

Refunding someone who might have passed away or is no longer a registered eBayer...that buyer won't get the refund.

I aways wait for the buyer to contact me first. And I don't keep sending emails to the buyer.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Well, that would be your choice then.  But keep in mind, it won't protect you from a negative feedback.

As for keeping the funds, not sure you will get to.  eBay has this thing called a Money Back Guarantee, and it favors the buyer.  You are far better off just refunding and moving on once you get it.  It sucks, but it happens.

But you do what you want, I'm just offering advice that would be appropriate for the situation.  Good luck!

Gator08041971  •  Volunteer Community Mentor 2024
Member of eBay since 2000

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Yes, the proper thing to do would be to refund the cost.
Also the proper thing to do would be for ebay to side with me when a buyer pulls a fast one.
That said and without elaborating further I usually find myself a happy balance.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

@comicscauldron wrote:

Maybe because i value my time and work ? Just saying...

As far as I know, eBay does not have any provision for buyers that denies refunds in order to compensate sellers for their "time and work".

Message 9 of 9
latest reply