cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UPS Quotes Different from Buyer Standpoint Than Seller Viewpoint

OK, so this has been a problem for me for weeks.  I've done multiple searches & found no answers.  Here's the deal...

When I am listing an item & choose UPS Ground, I get a much lower quote than what buyers see when the listing is live.  Every time this has occurred with an item that I then mange to sell, the amount quoted to me as the seller is correct.  

I verified through Pirate Ship that the amount I see as the seller is correct, versus the over $20 higher estimate that I see if I pretend to be a customer.  All comparisons were done apples-to-apples.

It appears eBay is not showing buyers the discounted eBay rate.

I know this is costing me sales.   I put a note in the description, but I know that if I were shopping & saw $48 for shipping I wouldn't even click on the listing, but I would with a shipping cost of $28!

I'm attaching screen shots of just my latest one. 

listinga.jpgbuyer.JPG

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

The buyer sees the retail rate if they walked into the PO or UPS to buy a label.

You as the seller see the eBay discounted rate. 

In order to pass on that discount, you need to adjust your shipping settings. Scroll to the bottom of this page and you will see the option for carriers. Carrier-specific discounts

You can do this for all or for a specific carrier.

Just remember that you are charged final value fees on the shipping and if you offer the discounted rate, you still pay that fee on the amount so you should build that fee into your pricing. 

Shipping discounts | eBay

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

There is a location in your settings that allow for you to pass on your discount to your buyers. Many sellers, myself included, do not pass on my discount to buyers. Shipping costs involve so much more than just the actual cost that you pay to UPS/USPS/Fedex. Supplies & time are just a couple, along with the fact that we pay the eBay fee for any shipping paid by the buyer as well.

For example, If you charge the buyer $28 for shipping and the UPS charge to you is $28, you're actually losing money on the shipping. You'll be getting approximately $24.50 of the $28 the buyer paid deposited in your account.

If you think that eBay is paying the rate that they are offering to sellers via the shipping module, you'd likely be wrong. I'm quite certain that eBay has a better negotiated rate at least via USPS, that they are not passing on to their sellers, instead offering us the commercial rates that we can get through many sites, while negotiating a volume discount for the overall account that our items ship under.

If you'd like to offer your discount to your buyer, or a percentage, you can set your preferences via:

Account Settings>Shipping Preferences>Offer carrier-specific discounts for buyers

Under that option you can set a percentage or just give your buyers the rate you pay via eBay shipping

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

@anniesfancies 

Your seeing the discount ebay gives you..... for the buyer they see the retail cost of shipping in the listing The discounted shipping only you can see when printing the label. 

You can discount the shipping to the buyer if you like after the sale . eBay will give you FVF credit for the amount refunded to the buyer.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply