cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble finding profitable items

I'm looking for some input from the pros. I have been a casual ebayer, mostly just selling things around the house, since 2006. I recently decided to make a business out of it. I've been doing the math and am struggling to find things that will be profitable to sell. I'm not too picky about what specific  items I sell. I'm leaning towards small light weight things that are easy and cheap to ship, and items with a higher price tag, maybe $50-$100. Obviously, I want things that sell well and that aren't too saturated. I'm taking the estimated selling price and subtracting cost of goods, estimated ebay fees (that include shipping,) and taxes (including self employment tax.) I'm aiming for a 15% net profit margin. My issue is finding things that will meet this goal. Your input is appreciated. 

Message 1 of 30
latest reply
29 REPLIES 29

Re: Trouble finding profitable items

15 % doesn't seem like it would be worth your time. Better off to get a job ? Not trying to be rude or sarcastic.

Message 16 of 30
latest reply

And as onefootflipper says : 

The problem with small, lightweight and expensive is that such items are very difficult to source consistently as that is what everyone wants to do. 

Message 17 of 30
latest reply

@inhawaii ,

Let me guess it’s the weenie baby stuffed bear?

Message 18 of 30
latest reply

@l5vw wrote:

15 % doesn't seem like it would be worth your time. Better off to get a job ? Not trying to be rude or sarcastic.

This is a job.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 19 of 30
latest reply

Yes it is ! Alot of people don't understand that. Thank you for pointing it out ! 

Message 20 of 30
latest reply

"I'm leaning towards small light weight things that are easy and cheap to ship, and items with a higher price tag, maybe $50-$100."

Lol... get in line!

Message 21 of 30
latest reply

@onefootflipper wrote:

Look for something you are an expert in and try to specialize in it. 

Taking naps and eating Twinkie's.  Too bad I couldn't find a way to profit on that.   😉

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 22 of 30
latest reply

@inhawaii wrote:

@onefootflipper wrote:

Look for something you are an expert in and try to specialize in it. 

Taking naps and eating Twinkie's.  Too bad I couldn't find a way to profit on that.   😉

Probably could do something in the Twinkie area, just not sure what exactly.  😃

Message 23 of 30
latest reply

Haha 

Kinda like inhawaii and his 200% mark up ... I source on ebay... these stories aren't bulk stories like his though...

3 relatively recent auctions and sales (I'll be vague ... my buyers and my sellers would probably be **bleep** if they knew these things...)

Won an auction for a single item. Paid around $75. Sold for over 5x purchase price.

Won another auction. Paid around $70. Listed that item around 2am and it was sold for over 2.5x by the time i woke up

Won an auction for a bag of items. 30 items in this bag. Paid around $55 because I wanted only 1 of them that I saw and knew was there. I sold that 1 by itself for over 4.5x purchase price.

Some of my easiest (bigger) profits yet. Happy to sell things for double (or more) purchase price regularly though. Usually bigger bulk lots however.

Message 24 of 30
latest reply

@ajs_coins_and_alchemy wrote:

Haha 

Kinda like inhawaii and his 200% mark up ... I source on ebay... these stories aren't bulk stories like his though...

3 relatively recent auctions and sales (I'll be vague ... my buyers and my sellers would probably be **bleep** if they knew these things...)

Won an auction for a single item. Paid around $75. Sold for over 5x purchase price.

Won another auction. Paid around $70. Listed that item around 2am and it was sold for over 2.5x by the time i woke up

Won an auction for a bag of items. 30 items in this bag. Paid around $55 because I wanted only 1 of them that I saw and knew was there. I sold that 1 by itself for over 4.5x purchase price.

Some of my easiest (bigger) profits yet. Happy to sell things for double (or more) purchase price regularly though. Usually bigger bulk lots however.

This is pretty common.  Auctions are easy pickings because they so often fail.  But you're also fishing in murky waters.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 25 of 30
latest reply

Most of the successful sellers here did not just immediately find items that sell well.  They have done research after research, maybe tried some things that did not work out. They spent time studying the market.   My point  is that most of us are not going to share our sources with you, thereby adding a competitor to the mix.  You are gonna have to do the work yourself.  Best of luck.  

Message 26 of 30
latest reply

@chapeau-noir wrote:

@l5vw wrote:

This is a job.

eBay isn’t a job for sellers.  A job entails employment.  eBay might be a good/great income for some, but a job it is not.

Message 27 of 30
latest reply

@powell-memorabilia wrote:

@chapeau-noir wrote:

@l5vw wrote:

This is a job.

eBay isn’t a job for sellers.  A job entails employment.  eBay might be a good/great income for some, but a job it is not.

Well, you're gonna have to take that up with the IRS, then, because they think it's a job.

— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 28 of 30
latest reply

there are secondary retailers (brick mortar stores) you can get some discounted lightweight stuff to flip quickly using first class. Some of it may be still sealed, new,some not, would have to sift and research and also make sure it wasn't "resealed". Most can go up to 90% off. There's also a lot of trash empty boxes,stuff hidden, unimportant things you sift through, bins,etc.  Depends on what state you're in. You can try googling it "secondary retail outlets" . I do this consistently with 1st class items, but I have to literally pound pavement and hit up the stores almost everyday to keep it on top, consistent listing,and have inventory. 

Message 29 of 30
latest reply

If you check out my store, most of those items on there now were bought at 4 for $1,2 for $1, 0.50 cents, sometimes $5 but no more than $7. The other 10% is used consignment store purchases for resell. Those were a little higher than the new stuff that still sealed. Most were Amazon returns that the retailer gots loads of pallets to source. I'll give you a hint, the name of the source( business) that sources the pallets ( Amazon, Walmart, target,etc)are called channel control merchants. 

Seriously,check out secondary retail outlets or stores. 

Message 30 of 30
latest reply