cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trading Cards no longer on store shelves

Local Meijer (large retailer) no longer puts trading cards on store shelves.  Notices posted in the Toys / Games area state collectible trading cards are distributed once each week at the service counter.  Limit one pack per variety per person.  

I spoke with store manager and he said this was in response to online sellers who "grab

the entire supply" as soon as they hit the shelves.  Store was getting lots of complaints from customers he said.

I don't sell trading cards, never have, never will and have no issue with those who collect and resale --  but I am wondering if other hot resale items are also being limited in a similar way.  And are people having to line up to buy other hot resale items,  kind of like the beanie baby craze and new sneaker releases?

Anyone else find this happening in their area of the country with similar merchandise?

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Is Maijer under the Kroger umbrella? If so, I noticed that on the shelf when I was at customer service at my local Fred Meyer's (Kroger) here in Portland Oregon.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

I am a card collector and have not seen any other items as of late causing as much stir as Basketball, Football and Pokemon cards. This is going on around the entire country and in my area every retailer is hit with a barrage of card dealers, collectors the second they open the doors, and some spending the night to be first in line on days they stock.

I suspect there are other items in high demand especially with the shortage of goods going on but not sure what they are.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Yup, and that's why we can't have anything nice in this world.

As for any other products, I can't be responsible for the harm that mention of any might cause.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Could end up like Beanie Babies. Some hoarded a lot of those too. Let's not forger emu ranching either. Still waiting for an emu burger.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Meijer is not affiliated with Kroger - they are home based out of Michigan and a regional grocery/big box store, only in a few states currently.  

Target has been limiting them since the Pokey craze this summer - you buy them at the electronics center in the back of the store.  Not sure on how many, just have seen the signs up.  

They did the same thing with Marvel figure releases - you had to go to the electronics counter to get them.  We were allowed to buy 1 each of each figure.  No different than gaming systems, controllers, switch lites, etc.  Bestie Buy does the same thing.

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Yes, I have no Bananas, only Flamethrowers.......
Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Citing “safety concerns for customers and staff,” two major U.S. retailers have temporarily halted the sale of Pokémon trading cards in-store, following numerous altercations, mass panic-buying, and scenes of physical and verbal violence.

Target is restricting the sale of Pokémon cards (as well its NFL, NBA, and MLB trading card brands) to its online store, removing the sought-after decks from the shelves of its physical outlets. Speaking to Bleeding Cool, Target said it was exercising “an abundance of caution” following a May 7 incident where a gun was brandished in a Target parking lot, reportedly over a sports trading card dispute.
Target is the second retailer to take action due to a sudden surge of interest in trading card sales. Several Wal-Mart outlets have also removed Pokémon and other trading cards from their shelves, following aggressive customer interactions. As reported by Nintendo Life, fast-food franchise McDonald’s was forced to rethink its strategy involving the distribution of Pokémon-themed Happy Meals, after adults turned up to restaurants and purchased the children’s boxed lunches in abundance.
It is believed the interest spike has resulted keeping many retailers closed or restricted, limiting the sales of in-store products and also driving up prices on the scalpers’ market. In addition, the pandemic has affected the industry’s production and distribution line, creating further scarcity for trading cards in general.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

This thread is nearly a year old, as is the article you quoted. The incident at Target was on May 7, 2021.  It's unclear why you resurrected this thread.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread HERE if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply