cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tonite's fun with Smart software - same people design AI weapon systems

"We don’t allow phrases such as "like new" in your title or description because the listing will show up in search results for new items. In order to list this item, edit your title to make it clear that the item isn’t new by using terms such as “slightly used” or “refurbished”. Also, if your item isn’t brand new, be sure to select an item condition that matches your item, such as “Used”."

here's the title I used - its obvious why the smartware launched the nukes:

Country Club near New Bedford, MA Mass postcard DPO HORSENECK BEACH MASS 1915

its the exact phrasing on the card.  I keep thinking I don't work for a large faceless corporation.

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

I just edited the title to get around the numbware.   Numbware didn't question it.  

Country Club near Ebay Bedford, MA Mass postcard DPO HORSENECK BEACH MASS 1915

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

"like new" equals "near New" probably only when the two words are next to each other.

Has nothing to do with AI, the "like new / near new filter has been in place for probably 20 years.

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

@slippinjimmy wrote:

"like new" equals "near New" probably only when the two words are next to each other.

Has nothing to do with AI, the "like new / near new filter has been in place for probably 20 years.

Yep, people used to use those "weasel words" to try to make their used items show up when people searched for new ones, so eBay finally just put the kibbosh on that by forbidding the use of the phrase "like new" or anything similar. It's not a new development in the slightest.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

@deltilogical wrote:

Change the word "near" to the word "by" - it should go through.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 5 of 10
latest reply

@deltilogical 

Another working title: New Bedford, MA area Mass Country Club postcard, blah, blah, blah...

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

I had one of those....

vintage ad for floor wax stated "makes your floors look like new "

I have learned I need to say Ivory Soap most of the time.  Just ivory creates a stir

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

I use the word "Ivory" all the time to describe clothing.  I wonder if it's category dependent?

But yeah, the 'new' has been a trip word for a long time due to keyword spamming.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 8 of 10
latest reply

The one that gets me is when I try to list 'activated charcoal' water filters.... and get scolded for not following eBay's Tobacco policy!  They need to wise up their filtering to allow certain multi-word phrases in some categories where those phrases are common.  For the past year, I've had to futz with the title for every water filter we sell, mostly because it seems everyone is going to charcoal filtering.  Sigh.......

-Bob.

RKS Solutions LLC logo
Ask me about SixBit and the tools I use to sell - I'm happy to share!
"A journey of a thousand miles begins by getting off the couch"
Message 9 of 10
latest reply

@chapeau-noir wrote:

I use the word "Ivory" all the time to describe clothing.  I wonder if it's category dependent?

It is. Ivory is a trigger word in collectibles categories, and I would assume jewelry, maybe some others.

A while back it was a trigger word in all categories and even resulted in a lot of erroneous listing removals, but sellers complained a lot and eBay adjusted things so categories like clothing where ivory is a common color but basically never used as a material have eased up on that listing tension from constantly hitting warnings. Categories like collectibles are more likely to see ivory as a material so it's still a trigger word there.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 10 of 10
latest reply