cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To the bank we go (o'er the fields we go) Laughing all the way

eBay can't win for trying!

The ad shows one holding a credit card, and both laughing at eBay's two-and-a-quarter offer.

chase eBay $2.25.png

Compare eBay, with almost any other advertiser. 

chase Krogers $26.png

WHAT IS GOING ON, EBAY?

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

1-3% cash back is standard with most CC's. Amazon has one too. 3% on purchases with them, 1% elsewhere. 

I believe where you are confused here, is you don't understand partnerships with banks. Kroger is offering discounts with a membership with them, and ordering products with them. eBay and others are offering rewards for buying from them, using a card from the sponsor bank to get rewards. What eBay is doing is common today. 

Rewards a a good tool to use, if you are not creating debt you can't pay off immediately. Most people are terrible at making debt and not paying it off. They don't benefit with a 1-3% cash back, when they are paying 20-30% in interest. 99% of people who use reward cards are in debt, too much debt. It's a gimmick to get people to spend and get deeper in debt. 

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

@farmalljr 

Perfect reply....Sadly it's what businesses do these days.  Thank You. 😊

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

lol.........not sad to me ..........those 1,2,3% can add up nicely........  as @farmalljr  says IF you pay off the balances monthly.........

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

Perhaps the message being sent 

They have just realized that ebay's  2%  ($2.25 max cash back) one time offer really is better than nothing !

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

@ed8108 wrote:

Perhaps the message being sent 

They have just realized that ebay's  2%  ($2.25 max cash back) offer really is better than nothing !

Yea the $2.25 max cash back is somewhat of a silly offer.

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

The "trap" for most users is they don't pay off the card at the end of the month. If half the people using the cards were paying it off at the end of the month, card companies would not offer cash back anymore. Cash back is mostly there to suck you into the card. These CC companies know most everyone never pays off the balance and they make 20-30% every month off the interest. 

It's akin to buying a car. A guy like me who pays cash, isn't going to get the attention of car dealers. They make money on the financing through the lending bank. Dealers want you to finance. Where my cash shines is in private car sales, because few people have the money to buy a car cash, and private sellers know they have to give a really good deal to sell the car, or take a beating on the trade in. 

Credit card companies create programs that really only benefit them. Kroger and Walmart are selling memberships to benefit the customer first, but it also benefits them. If you have a membership, where are you likely to buy first from? Memberships create buying loyalty. 

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

That $2.25 won't even cover a tip for cocktails during happy hour in a bar in San Francisco for me. Ho...ho...ho

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

@12345jamesstamps wrote:

That $2.25 won't even cover a tip for cocktails during happy hour in a bar in San Francisco for me. Ho...ho...ho

I think I may be able to get a 20 ounce Pepsi at the Dollar General.

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

A disappointing ebay holiday season offer 

2% cash back, $2.25 maximum

valid one time only

Expires 12/31

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

Apparently ebay thinks $2.25 is a great deal of money.

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 11 of 16
latest reply

Pretty sure I can do better going around the car with a metal detector..

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

@an-36344 wrote:

The ad shows one holding a credit card, and both laughing at eBay's two-and-a-quarter offer.

Actually, those stock images are standard eBay choices. Whenever they want to jazz up some announcement or ad with some images, their usual go-to for stock photos is on the theme of Attractive Young Females Beaming at Laptops. If a male is featured instead, he will be of a similar young age, and will be wearing a hipster fedora. That's about it for photo choices; the one shown here is pretty much par for the course.

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

I've always thought ebay's choice of stock photos is questionable.The only one I've liked recently was the teddy for the shipping deadlines.

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 14 of 16
latest reply

I always wonder What is Meghan Markel doing here???

Message 15 of 16
latest reply