cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tips On How To Adapt To Good Til Cancelled for Fixed Price Listings

Any positive thoughts? What is your strategy going to be to continue selling with fixed price listings here?

Yes I know many say they won't be able to do this, that it'll harm or end their ability to continue selling on eBay; but many of us are making enough profits to absorb this change.

How will non-store sellers with 100 or less FP listings be affected? 50 or less listings?

From what I can see, instead of using 50 'free' 30 day listings, sellers will have to pay 35 cents or so on the beginning of the month. Right?

Shouldn't small sellers be able to absorb those extra 50 fees at 35 cents each?
How will you adapt to this?

Thanks
Lynn

Lynn

You love me for everything you hate me for

Message 1 of 61
latest reply
60 REPLIES 60

Re: Tips On How To Adapt To Good Til Cancelled for Fixed Price Listings

I'm going to keep it simple. I will start listing everything on the 1st and end everything on the 29th.... on the 1st, start over.

Message 46 of 61
latest reply

I agree on the approach and that it's simple, but still not as easy as if eBay had just left well enough alone.

I added a "Duration" column to my "Manage Active Listings" page so I can see, during this first month of implementation, which of my BIN listings are '30 day' and which are 'Good 'Til Cancelled." As the GTC ones get within 1-2 days of ending, I'll manually end them, then relist when I'm ready.

Yes, I believe they'll lose some visibility for 'item ending soon', but that's the tradeoff I'm willing to make. Most of that stuff is low price and any 'item ending soon' exposure wouldn't be worth paying extra listing fees from this GTC policy.
Message 47 of 61
latest reply

Exactly! This is going to make me STOP using eBay; I can't afford .35 on each listing, each month. Remember, not all listings sell, so if I have 100 items, that's $35 in fees for relisting; and maybe 10 or 20 items will sell. I have to spread that extra 35 dollars out between these 'sold' items, adding potentially $3 to each item. With eBay fees, PayPal fees, USPS upping their fees.. EVERYONE is making money on my sales except ME 😞
I quit.
Message 48 of 61
latest reply

@hollysfinds wrote:

I am really tired of ebay deciding how to best sell OUR items.

Each seller knows what works best for whatever they sell.

IMO ebay should let sellers decide which way to best move their inventory.

Being more intrusive will not help the already strained relationships

between sellers & ebay.

Of course they probably don't care about that I suppose

or things would be different.

A little consideration for sellers would go a long way !

That is my feeling too. I have had a daily rhythm/routine for how I manage list and mail my items.  I am not going to add this monthly math task to my listing, If I have to CX extra listings that run above my subscription rate because I was offered free incentive listing from eBay. I am going to go elsewhere.  There are no incentives to stay with eBAy. 

Message 49 of 61
latest reply

@textile_rescue wrote:

@hollysfinds wrote:

I am really tired of ebay deciding how to best sell OUR items.

Each seller knows what works best for whatever they sell.

IMO ebay should let sellers decide which way to best move their inventory.

Being more intrusive will not help the already strained relationships

between sellers & ebay.

Of course they probably don't care about that I suppose

or things would be different.

A little consideration for sellers would go a long way !

That is my feeling too. I have had a daily rhythm/routine for how I manage list and mail my items.  I am not going to add this monthly math task to my listing, If I have to CX extra listings that run above my subscription rate because I was offered free incentive listing from eBay. I am going to go elsewhere.  There are no incentives to stay with eBAy. 

Lets be real, Its pretty telling when paying .35 cents even over 100's of listings becomes a big deal.  That shows you what kind of scraps this place is giving most sellers these days.  I appreciate peoples resolve but at some point people need to re-evaluate the big picture. 

If this site was delivering consistent sales at decent prices that .35 cent fee wouldn't matter. The people that continue to play their game need to see the insanity in this. 

Message 50 of 61
latest reply

@18704d wrote:

Any positive thoughts? What is your strategy going to be to continue selling with fixed price listings here?

Yes I know many say they won't be able to do this, that it'll harm or end their ability to continue selling on eBay; but many of us are making enough profits to absorb this change.

How will non-store sellers with 100 or less FP listings be affected? 50 or less listings?

From what I can see, instead of using 50 'free' 30 day listings, sellers will have to pay 35 cents or so on the beginning of the month. Right?

Shouldn't small sellers be able to absorb those extra 50 fees at 35 cents each?
How will you adapt to this?

Thanks
Lynn

Hello Lynn,

Sure, I could absorb the extra fees...but I have no intention of doing so. I see this GTC thing as an underhanded money grab!

I will monitor the items showing under the "time left" column and end them before they auto relist.

A real PITA but not impossible.

Message 51 of 61
latest reply

@xray731 wrote:

In my 20 yrs here - every time an update comes along that people are upset with - someone comes on and says great - leave - my sales will increase. Guess what - it's never happened - because when sellers leave - you and I lose them as buyers. And we're talking about good buyers who know the rules - don't try to take advantage of the MBG or getting something for free because they know what it feels like.

Each and every passing update - my sales continue to fall and not because I don't adjust, change up what I sell, how I sell ect… Ebay has lost the edge - they spent too much time trying to copy everyone else instead of sticking to what made Ebay unique.

My question which has still not been answered by anyone is why is GTC now the way to go? Why for 15+ yrs have I been told not to use GTC for my items as they are OOAK - why did Ebay make a big deal of getting rid of all the old GTC listings that people hadn't updated? No site has the technical problems Ebay does. No site back tracks as much as Ebay does - you can't have watermarks, you can't use GTC if inventory isn't selling, you have to use the product catalog - and yet they have backtracked on each and everyone. They really do not know what they are doing. They are pitching a good line now - most of the vloggers are rolling with it - it's the next great thing since sliced bread - not.

While items may show up more in google search - very little traffic was received due to google search - you can check your stats - again - you may be on the first page or last page of google search - and google shopping is a totally different entity in itself - being found in google search does not mean a seller's items will be seen in google shopping

This is excellent! Its also spot-on. I can tell you have a feel for Ebay. People that say who cares if sellers leave thers plenty more apparently aren't seasoned vets who've seen what we've seen. Losing sellers has crippled this place and losing many more may be the kill shot

Message 52 of 61
latest reply

HATE it!  Most of my BIN items sell in the last day or two - now that doesn't occur.  And there is no SENSE OF URGENCY for anyone to buy anything.  I'll go back to Auction style or cancel my store altogether.  HATE IT EBAY!  Can you hear us???  Obviously not.....

Message 53 of 61
latest reply

I'm selling my old comic books, and unless it's a key issue, books will sit for a long while until the right buyers comes along, or decide to pick up a lot as an add-on with one of the key books that gets a lot of eyes. My basic strategy was to list everything as an auction initially, in case there was demand for a book that I wasn't aware of (don't want to sell it too cheap), and then relist as a BIN if it didn't sell. This was a good way to slowly build up inventory as well, as I'd use my free listings for new auctions every month, and then use any Free Listing Promotions to relist all of the BINs that hadn't sold yet. With the change, I think I'll be changing everything back to auctions and then just relist it when I have to so the listing doesn't clear out. Books just take too long and are generally too low-profit to relist with GTC. I'll be looking for another place to sell if they don't change the policy back.

Message 54 of 61
latest reply

@dialabob wrote:

HATE it!  Most of my BIN items sell in the last day or two - now that doesn't occur.  And there is no SENSE OF URGENCY for anyone to buy anything.  

I wonder if putting the end date when you cancel the listing in the title or description would be a good idea?

Message 55 of 61
latest reply

31 day months is not my issue. I used 3,5,7 day FP listings, got the newly listed and ending soonest boost, my stuff was flying off the pages. Since the change: crickets.

Message 56 of 61
latest reply

Could not have said it better. Very discouraged by this new money grab and think Ebay will live to regret it. No one likes a dictator and no one likes to be nickeled and dimed to death and that's what Ebay is doing here.
Message 57 of 61
latest reply

I for one have switched back to Auction Style either 7 or 10 day with Buy It Now option also. I normally use Auction Style only on rare stuff until this new GTC Policy reared it's ugly head. Back in the good ol' days of ebay you could get bidding wars on any item whether rare or common,but that's not the case now. For common to average stuff its best imo to use Buy It Now with Best Offer. The result of me going back to Auction Style even with Buy It Now has been a decline in sales by atleast 50%,i know the month is only half way thru. Maybe it will pick up,but who knows?

I have only listed a handful of items with  GTC  as a personal experiment & have not sold nary a one of them....This GTC/Auto relist is NOT WORKING! My apologies to the OP as this was supposed to be a positive reply,but i see nothing positive in my ebay now.

Message 58 of 61
latest reply

Being able to "absorb extra fees" is not the issue. I WILL NOT. We pay monthly for a store, pay again when something sells, pay again to use ebay postage printer. Now the also want us to promote things for another big fee. Don't you ever shop in a B&M store and say to yourself "walk away, let them keep their precious stuff".???? There are other venues and they are growing. With all the changes at ebay it's no harder to learn to list elsewhere.
Message 59 of 61
latest reply

@squaretrader wrote:
Being able to "absorb extra fees" is not the issue. I WILL NOT. We pay monthly for a store, pay again when something sells, pay again to use ebay postage printer. Now the also want us to promote things for another big fee. Don't you ever shop in a B&M store and say to yourself "walk away, let them keep their precious stuff".???? There are other venues and they are growing. With all the changes at ebay it's no harder to learn to list elsewhere.

@squaretrader 

It was 1870d that posed the question as to whether small sellers should absorb the extra fees.

And like you, I have no intention of doing so!

Unlike you, I have no store and use only 50 free listings per month (may be with promo listings I used to get up to 75 -100)

The Spring update now allows non store sellers to use promoted listings, I have no intention of doing that either (same money grab MO)

I use other selling sites and for the moment that is where I will focus my efforts.

Don't you ever shop in a B&M store and say to yourself "walk away, let them keep their precious stuff".????

Yes!!

All the best

Message 60 of 61
latest reply