cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This is why your sales are down..

I just made a purchase for a $130 item at Ebay via shipping program .

Screenshot_20240122_212034_eBay.jpg

I had to pay a %26 tax just because i purchased a $100 + item then they charged me 32% for import duties. Import duties in Mexico are no more than 16% and you rarely pay them. 

Almost all American sellers have the Ebay shipping program on. Think about all the buyers you are loosing because Ebay are literaly stealing money from the buyers every time the purchase something for you. 

This is a purchase i made weeks ago from a seller who has the Ebay Shipping program turned off

Screenshot_20240122_214629_eBay.jpg

I paid $455 + $33.95 shipping. I din't paid any duties when the package arrived...

TURN OFF the Ebay shipping program put usps priority and get more sales

Message 1 of 30
latest reply
29 REPLIES 29

I’d rather have all those protections and lose international sales, then to save the international buyer money.  

Message 2 of 30
latest reply

EBay International Shipping is a Seller Protection program.

The seller's responsibility for delivery  ends at the eIS plant. EIS is now responsible for delivery.

However.

EIS also bases the import fees you are charged on what the seller says is in the box. If the seller has chosen the wrong category or uses a possibly misleading title, the plant worker may assign the wrong HScode.

It would be useful for non-US buyers (and I am in Canada) to double check that the category is correct before purchase.

It would be useful for sellers to learn the HS codes* for their products and add that to their labels when they ship to the eIS plant.

Did the Mexican government not get the same treatment as Canada for CUSMA  treaty import fees?
We get  a $150 Cdn /$112.50 USD duty free allowance and a $40Cdn/$30USD tax free allowance on imports from the USA.

If you were charged the wrong amount, you could try appealing it to the Mexican customs officials. However, our Canadian experience was that CBSA saw that GSP/eIS is the payer of record of import fees, so that may be tricky.

*The codes are international. This is the Canadian one, which I find easier to use than that posted on the USPS site. https://www.canadapost-postescanada.ca/information/app/wtz/business/findHsCode?execution=e1s1

The numbers will be the same for every country.

Message 3 of 30
latest reply

BTW both the sales tax of $33.09 and the duty of $41.37 went to the Mexican governments (federal and state).

The sales taxes are ~33.8% of the value of the import.

Duty is ~32% of the value.

Some years ago eBay gave sellers some boilerplate we could add to our Descriptions to explain duty and taxes to our customers.
"Import duties, taxes and charges are not included in the item price or shipping charges. These charges are the buyer's responsibility. Please check with your country's customs office to determine what these additional costs will be prior to bidding/buying."

If you don't like the eIS have you considered buying from Canada? Canadian sellers are not eligible for the eIS Seller Protection program, but most of us are willing to ship internationally without it.

Message 4 of 30
latest reply

Ebay recently added the option for your buyers to choose between you shipping directly or EIS. I haven't gotten an EIS sale since I recently started doing this which makes sense since the buyers save much more money by me shipping to them directly. However I probably wouldn't have made the international sales I have made. I will use some the profits I make on the sales I wouldn't have made otherwise as an insurance policy for the very occasional return I might have to deal with. I remember I used to use the eBay standard delivery program and I shipped probably around 100 items that way and only ever had one return. 

So you can say you don't care if eBay is charging your buyers an arm and a leg you would rather not lose protections and just lose the sales. But you may be costing yourself a lot of money in the end even taking into consideration all the returns and lost protections.

Message 5 of 30
latest reply

This is why your sales are down

First, I do not sell internationally. 

Second, my sales are not down. 

Message 6 of 30
latest reply

You do understand that the actual duties is what Mexico Customs charges as duties of import of the item that you purchased on ebay. Ebay doesn't set the duties for any international shipment. It's always the foreign government who applies the duties. If you feel the duties are too high, then you need to issue a claim with Mexico Customs & provide them justification. 

Good luck!

Message 7 of 30
latest reply

If it weren’t for the international shipping program I definitely would not risk shipping to Mexico( and a lot or other places with sketchy delivery track records)

Message 8 of 30
latest reply

@sapphire_studio 

Which of your items have both direct shipping and EIS?  I checked and few and just see EIS only to Canada.

Message 9 of 30
latest reply

@luckythewinner wrote:

This is why your sales are down

First, I do not sell internationally. 

Second, my sales are not down. 

You are not in this conversation, then.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 10 of 30
latest reply

@comicscauldron 

Blaming sellers isn't the answer.  We don't calculate those fees nor do we have anything to do with charging them to a buyer.  That is between you and the country you are in.

I know shipping is getting more and more expensive for everyone, not just to your country.  It is crazy to be sure.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 11 of 30
latest reply

No one is blaming the sellers. I am blaming Ebay because they are stealing the buyers those taxes are not real in Mexico its ebay stealing. Its funny how you keep defending ebay and how you normalize than someone who purchases a $130 item now has to pay $240. I buy lots of imported stuff at amazon and it doesn't happen. I buy lots of stuff from American sites and it does't happen. It only happens at Ebay shipping program. 

Message 12 of 30
latest reply

Message 13 of 30
latest reply

You do understand that "duties" are not charged by eBay, right?

Message 14 of 30
latest reply

I posted the same issue at IG (lots of good sellers and buyers) and they have totally different opinions , maybe they not as smart as all of you 

Screenshot_20240123_063215_Instagram.jpg

Message 15 of 30
latest reply